Some Late 18th Century Bling

horseclover

Basic Member
Over the holiday weeks, I received a French looking smallsword from a nice French lady. Folk opine avoiding the costs of antiques but in truth, they are quite affordable. Antiques are though mostly appreciated with no thoughts of use but are still capable if pressed. So would be the case of this sword, which was meant as a dress or court sword. Still, with 31" of blade and a stout inch wide at the guard, capable enough to counter many swords afoot and having a very poky point.

I don't have a great number of my own photos up yet but here are the auction photos (wine background) and a few after a bit of cleaning and stabilization.

1219j.jpg
1219i.jpg
1219h.jpg 1219g.jpg 1219f.jpg 1219e.jpg 1219d.jpg 1219c.jpg 1219b.jpg 1219a.jpg

Last edited:
1219.jpg

What I first saw was possibly a silver on brass and then once in hand is evidently gilt on Britannia or silver itself. The wire work is spectacular and the ribbons copper and silverplate copper. Several wire displays with a bit of everything going on. The symbology and stylings put it during the First Republic French period of the 1790s, while the work itself quite likely English with a German blade.

Photos of the contrasting hilt itself is proving hard to picture but you can see some of it here. Too large for the sever to load, so linked on imgur

CblQAvm.jpg

FFOt0D1.jpg

7ff7RiN.jpg

dIVsxip.jpg

I'll get more up in time for comparisons.

The blade arrived bent, whether during transport or not. Gently straightened out, it is becoming a constant companion here at the desk. All of 14 ozs! The guard was floppy loose but no big chore in my little shop of horrors. As tight as new, with remnants of the base bumper washer still present. There is shrinkage to the grip, which allows for a bit of accordion action. Partially stabilized, I really don't want to just glue it. I am letting the grip core adjust to my clime and perhaps swell with some secret sauce I am feeding it. I want it to be tight enough to be stable for public exhibition and hands on for the visitors. With the ribbons and wire without breaks, I hope to keep them so.

Cheers
GC

Last edited:
Super cool! 14 ounces, DAMN.

Back