Photos Some long overdue pics !

Now not only will Andy be able to hunt dump trucks with his Marlin 45/70, he'll be able to skin them with his Alpha Reg!

Love me a good 45/70. Congrats. Can’t wait to see the pics of when you actually put it to use.
Garth
........ the Skinner sights for it have shipped and should hopefully arrive next week (but could be a week longer than that) I am going to try and get some rounds loaded up over the weekend (though I did just add Zombie Rails to the side of my new Landcruiser so I will probably be driving that around bumping pedestrians and annoying folk with them for sport :D ) so I can take it to the range as soon as the sights are here !!!!! It will be March at least before it knocks something off it's feet/hooves thought.

Now not only will Andy be able to hunt dump trucks with his Marlin 45/70, he'll be able to skin them with his Alpha Reg!
...... there has been a lack of T-Rex in the street lately so it may have to be trucks.... ;) Not sure what bits are edible though !!

You could always take the hard way Andy...
Drive down to Canberra and try to shoot some of those creatures with impenetrable skin... I guess Alpha Regulator would be the smallest blade option you should consider if you ever wanted to skin any of them...
I'd say that no parts of them will be edible, but they could make for an interesting sheath inlay/overlay...

Love that long baseplate—very solid. Rear sight adjustment mechanism appears strong and stable—also gives the gun a very sleek look. I like that installation a lot.:thumbsup:

Time to pop some caps!:D

(How long do you predict before your friend asks for it back?;))

Last edited:
Love that long baseplate—very solid. Rear sight adjustment mechanism appears strong and stable—also gives the gun a very sleek look. I like that installation a lot.:thumbsup:

Time to pop some caps!:D

(How long do you predict before your friend asks for it back?;))
...... yes the styling of the Skinners is what caught my eye first then I read the positive reviews on them and figured why not !! I really want to take it out and make it bark but time and a handy range are evading me at the moment. Over Christmas I am going to strip and give the stock and oil finish but I will shoot it first !!

Yes, I will also have to avoid him seeing it... ;)

Yes, I will also have to avoid him seeing it...
Especially after it's sight upgrade and clean and refinished:cool: Lever Guns are my weakness especially the Older small calibers .25-20 also .32-20 .38-40 and a couple .30 WCF...the stories they could tell.....Really like that sight plate gotta go take a look at 'em now;)

Last edited:
My "Christmas Project" is refinishing the stock and forend off the Marlin.

A couple of weeks ago I stripped, washed and acid washed both, then steamed out the what dings would come up and gave it all a light sand....

Given the heat here over the past couple of weeks (and low humidity) I was happy that a couple of weeks was enough drying time.

Added a little stain on the 26th, it went on darker than I expected and like a numpty I didn't do a test spot first, once I had an even coat that was drying I took a rag and some metho and thinned out and smoothed the stain a little. Gave them a couple of days to dray and...

Started oiling them up yesterday....so far so good....

Last edited:
Oh man....that just pulls at my heart strings! That is just a fantastic unit all around, and I love your site set up...I have similar sites on my Henry 3030, love them...great job on that gun! What a great gift and great to see the love poured into it! Man, I am just really loving that piece A-to-tha'-A!!! It is a really nice look with the "liner" between wooden stock and butt-pad...very, very cool.

Back