Some new ideas for HI

The utilikilt store in Seattle.

I have a couple of workmen models like the one in your picture, one for when I'm fat and one for when I'm slightly less fat. That is a great kilt. It is very durable. The only drawback to the workman is the rough fabric can be somewhat abrasive to tender organs during long hikes.

the survival model is of course the right choice. love mine.

some "body glide" doesn't hurt either sometimes :)

Bladite

i'd buy one if they weren't so expensive. and shipping from the states just makes it worse. a good scottish kilt over here is even more expensive, the only co. i know that made street kilts here in the UK is no more, i should have bought one when they were still trading...evry once and a while i look for something like the utilkilt, but with 'made in china' prices....

i'd buy one if they weren't so expensive. and shipping from the states just makes it worse. a good scottish kilt over here is even more expensive, the only co. i know that made street kilts here in the UK is no more, i should have bought one when they were still trading...evry once and a while i look for something like the utilkilt, but with 'made in china' prices....

with a product like a UK, you get what you pay for. they insist on materials sourced in the USA, cut and sewn in the USA, and sold at rates that provide real income for the people involved, not sweat shop labor.

they're warranteeed, have a fantastic resale value, and made to last. the work that goes into them is insane. all those pleats? YAR! UK has a seconds rack! or you could buy one used locally perhaps.

if one needs a cheapo kilt for a season or two, there's a bunch of clones and knockoff actually, but none of them are quite the same thing. as well, there's some "fashion" garments that the emo/goth/punk crowd like whitbypandemonium.co.uk or what shows up when you google "goth kilts"

perhaps sport kilts or "kilt mart" too. saw lots of UK hits, so, something might turn your fancy

Bladite

I like the name "The Uncle Billhook".

Thinking more about design, it seems that the thicker forged HI steel wouldn't need such a big blade area as some of the thin cheaper versions.

I like this double-edge shape because most of the metal is at the head, and the short back edge can be thicker and convex, to chop like an axe, while the curved hooked edge can be thinner (with the straight portion near the handle having a razor-sharp edge for slicing).

pen36.jpg

(Source: http://www.leonelliattrezzi.com/index_en.html)

The handle could be full tang chiruwa style. And don't forget the cho.:D

this one would be the one i think, with chiruwa style handle:) how long should it be? 18 inches:)? i want a "uncle billhook":p

I am sure you will all like that one, I will take a pass.
I am holding out for a more traditional Himalayan bill hook myself.

I too wouldn't mind an "Uncle Bill-Hook" :) I think that is pretty catchy.

well, then I guess all I need is to wait for more to show up. :)

I would like to see it be a bit beefier in the hook though, wider bladed I guess.
I have seen pix of them looking like this but of course I don't have one to post.

Great idea!

Dont know if this helps but heres a photo I took just outside Kathmando in the village of Kirtipur, of what to me seems a good sized & well shaped Nepalese Bill hook, [ like other hansiya & kukri they come in many shapes & sizes.}

P1010122.jpg

These might be of intrest as well? {taken by Viking Krishna 2006.}

Typical Kathmando butchers knives & choppers, {Unlike Dharan where kukri are the norm.}

Spiral

ktm2006420-1.jpg

The one on the man's belt is exactly what I'm talking about... heck it would be cool to get the carry method too. :D

The carry device worn by the gentleman in Spiral's photo is the same type as that pictured with my hayisa above. They are indeed very handy.

Don't let the thinness of the blade fool you. Mine is made thick like a khukuri. It has plenty of weight and I wouldn't hesitate to baton it through a thick piece of wood. I'm not sure what advantage a wider blade would give. If you wanted a similar weight you would just have to pound the metal thinner.

It is good to give up the preconception and imagination of "exactly" when dealing with Nepalese tools. Every one is likely to be different, and if you think you already know "exactly" what you want you are likely to miss a bit of unexpected magic.

So knowing what sort of things you feel most comfortable with is a bad thing?

I am not afraid to try something new, it was simply that having had a number of bill hooks of my own over the years I feel as though I know what I like to use best. I have sickles and such as well, they all serve a different purpose as far as I am concerned. It would be nice to see any of the bill hooks show up, including the carry piece, in the near future.

I would be game to try them all except the double edged one which I have found already not to be to my liking.

That picture of the knife on the guy's back is like a coconut knife in my country. Excellent for chopping branches, coconuts and has history of chopping heads off too. Used mostly by Indians (not American Indians). No kidding.

Last night I drew up the Musk Ox Utility and Snow Leopard belt knife... I gotta scan em over lunch break but man... they're sweet!

The top one and the one on the very bottom are simply gorgeous!

Are they in your collection? I would really love to get my hands on either of those...

Back