Some of us have been tellinTPsTB this for years and yet TPsTB still wanna say this -

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Yvsa, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    - is a rare occasion!!!:thumbdn: :grumpy: Link Granted this example is a small 70 - 80 pound female but she's plenty large enough to drag off a small child if the unthinkable should ever happen.:( When you get to the website there is a small vid cam logo over the list of videos, put your cursor on, "Mountain Lion Caught In Tulsa" and click for the 30 second obnoxious commercial and then the video of the capture of this dangerous beast!!!
    Barbie and I have found cat tracks as big as my hand print a little over 2 miles from our place as well as in areas further out, may have been the same cat as I understand they have quite a range they cover...
    Besides us we have family out further east and northwest that have also seen sign as well as sign and real evidence of black bear, of course our black bear are rarely larger than a large Collie Dog.;) :)

2. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  3. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    I've never seen one in the wild but I too have seen their sign. Interesting finding a footprint by one of your own on the way back, that wasn't there before. Apparently I'm too ugly or smelly to be lunch, but a small woman or child could definately be on the menu.

4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    it's amazing what kind of large creatures eek out a living around us that we are never aware of. There have been more than a few cougar sightings in the surrounding area over the years. Having a small child, I'm much more aware of the potential threat than I was before. When we visit my stepdad's cabin in the off season, the woods are alive with hungry critters. Coyotes that know enough to keep their traps shut during the summer months, haunt the woods in roving packs yipping as they encircle the lake. There have been wolf sightings her as of late. A wolf this far south was unheard of even 5 years ago. A woman was approached and threatened by a bobcat at a local park in the next town over.

It's amazing what is watching us when we don't think anything is watching us;)
    [​IMG]
    btw, i know this pic turned out to be a fake;)

5. jdk1

jdk1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I've seen (without a doubt confirmed) mountain lions in the wild on two occasions. One was pretty close, but I was in a short tower blind. They're silent when moving, in my experience. You don't get much more than a flash or blur out of the corner of your eye. I was able to get a pretty good look at the one when when I was in the blind though, as he/she slid between cactus patches. There are plenty of them in South and West Texas. There have been more times when I could have seen one, but wasn't sure. When I said they were silent earlier, I meant they're silent when I've seen them. Camping in South Texas I've heard them at night, unseen, but mighty close. Thier scream is like nothing I've ever heard. It's nothing like the roars on movies or TV. It sounds like a women in absolute terror. Shrill and peircing! I can't think of anything else it might sound like. It would send a chill down the spine of the bravest man. We slept with revolvers in our bags. Between big cats, coyotes, and "economic refugees", I'm suprised we slept at all. Take care.

6. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  7. Yahmanin

Yahmanin

Sep 29, 2003
    Steve, that is just about the coolest thing I've seen in long time, thanks for sharing!

I went to DLI (Defense Language Inst. in Monterey CA) with a guy who was a hunting guide in Northern CA back in the early 90's who swore a cat took the hat off his head as he walked under it while on a hunt. No real reason to disbelieve him, I was in school with him for a year, and he was weird enough on his own not to need to make things up, but ymmv with friend of a friend stories, I freely admit.

Tangentially related anecdote (with a wee stretch) DLI is on a fairly wooded crest up the coast from Monterey Bay (as my still aching everything remembers from PT runs), and has a good bit of wildlife for an active , smallish post/school. I came back from the gym one night and saw the same guy legging it out of the horse-shoe made by our wing, the chow hall, and the Bravo wing clutching a 2x4 with a wilder than normal look in his eyes (think proto human with femur in 2001...), he told me he'd cornered a 4 pointer in there and had high hopes until it juked past him. I asked him what the hell he'd have done with it if he'd nailed it, and, with all sincerity, told me he'd of dragged it up the hill a ways and field dressed it. Good guy, but a few pins and some epoxy short a secured handle slab

8. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Someone's about to get a derriere full of HEAT VISION! :eek:

9. KRBurke

KRBurke

Nov 3, 2009
    We've got a mountain lion confirmed in the woods of Monroe and Green county in southern Indiana! People had been hearing it yowling for weeks and speculating that's what it was. A wildlife heat sensing camera finally caught a pic of it.

I'm not sure if they've caught it yet or not.

10. MacHete

MacHete Hair Cropper & Chipmunk Wrangler

Apr 7, 2000
    I have no personal experience with them, but know quite a few folks who swear they do here in WV. The WIDELY held view is that, while the DNR officially insists that there are no mountain lions in the mountain state, they have been quietly re-introduced -unofficially- to help control the out-of-control deer population.

11. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    I remember one time in particular when I was just a wee lad and a bunch of us got together and went camping for the weekend. This was poor people camping out so everyone slept out under the stars.
    I don't know what the reasoning was but everyone spread their quilts, blankets, and such in a long line instead of everyone having a separate spot, maybe it was for protection.
    What I recall so vividly was that when we got up that first morning there was a very large cat print in the soft dirt not very far from the edge where I had been sleeping! That was the last night I got too sleep on the outside of pallet because of my mother's insistence... :)

Over the course of years I've had enough meetings in similar ways, seeing one off in the distance, hearing one, "cough" way to close for comfort, tracks, and the like for me to not recognize their sign. And the helluvit is there are several different places all around the USA where the, State Wildlife, Fish and Game, or however the agency is worded or called claim there are absolutely no mountain lion, puma, panther, or whatever they're called in your bailiwick and you know absolutely different.
    It may not prove the Powers That Be know the truth and either aren't Or can't say what they themselves know to be true but one thing you can do is say, "Well the next time I see the big cat close enough to get a sure shot I'll kill it and you can come get it to prove whether they're here or not."
    The next thing you'll probably hear is, "Oh No! You can't shoot them without a tag or some other form of permit."

When I sent the story to one of our daughters who does live in the country a little further out she wrote me back saying, "You know dad, no matter how many times you hear one of them scream it sends chills all up and down your back?"
    And that it does. ;) :eek: :D

12. Abaniko

Abaniko

Jun 2, 2006
    They're everywhere out our way :cool: