Some of you need to get over yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the important distinction here is hate.

When you spit an insult at people who don't understand you. You're being hateful. Calling people "SHEEPLE" is counterproductive.

So what's the antidote to hate? In my opinion, it's education. I love the opportunity to educate people on crafts, the arts, music, you name it. As a knife enthusiast, I can educate people on knives.

And by the way, I completely agree about this analysis: "People who are alarmed upon seeing a guy take out a knife 3 inch bladed pocket knife in public to open a pack of Sweet-n-lo are not "sheep". They're just people who are aware that society is filled with weirdos. Let them be concerned. If they start running and screaming like banshees at the sight of a swiss army knife, that's one thing. But for the most part, even us knife guys would have some reservations upon seeing anybody flick a knife open in public even if it is just for a micro second." Yep, you're damned right. This is called situational awareness. Some guy with a burly beard and coveralls flips out a knife here in Venice and my eyes are going to be on that guy until I see the knife cut something practical.

Remember, from when we are kids we learn to respect blades ever so much more once we've been cut by one. People are generally cautious around knives because they've all been cut by a knife. Put that knife in an unknown person's hand, and YEAH, your spidey-sense is going to go nuts until you know for sure the person isn't crazy.

Knife "enthusiasts" do not do society a favor by carrying a knife in public.

Balderdash! I'm quite certain that in the last 35 years more people have seen me carry knives - and use them safely/responsibly - than have also seen a crime committed with one. I am a walking advertisement for the simple fact that knives are a perfectly natural and reasonable thing to have. And that is indeed "doing society a favor".

Your comments don't make me angry, I just disagree. And that's OK. :)

I have been carrying a knife everyday in public for the last 10 years or so and I feel I have neither done society a favor or a disfavor by carrying a knife in public, but then again that wasn't why I carried a knife in public I carry a knife in public because I use a knife everyday and rather than run back and fourth from my house to do cutting, pliering(I mostly carry my leatherman), screwdriving, Etc I decided it would be best to just carry a knife on me. Not to mention the good I am doing the environment by not driving back and fourth from my house :D.

Sure, it's a bit of a rationalization to say knives are useful to edc, but it doesn't change the fact that they are useful. Do I have any practical justification for having 40+ knives? Nope other than the fact that I like them. Does it make me feel good when I have a knife when needed? Sure, but I get a similar feeling when I'm the one who hasthe jumper cables or the muti - tool, or the rope, or flashlite or any of the dozen other useful things I have about myself or in the trunk.

Do I need to get over myself? Probably, but when you are twelve kinds of freaking awesome, why should you. :)

I agree 100% with the Radioactive. We choose to carry nice knives because it's something that we value. The dude with the Gerber EZ Out can save the day cutting a seatbelt just like somebody with an XM-18 (yes the Hinderer is more badass.) And by the way, as someone who does this fairly often (I'm a FF/Medic,) it is VERY DIFFICULT to cut anything off of anybody with any type of knife. Which is why we use Benchmade hooks, trauma shears and that type of tool...

I carry a Knife because I use it and because I like knives. People who dont carry knives are no different from me. We are all people we are all equal.

Never been looked down on because I carry a knife, nor have I ever thought I am better then others because I do. This topic is strange to me.

There are the prepared and the unprepared. The beauty is you can choose which one you want to be. It effects me in no way whatsoever. But if your not carrying a knife dont exspect me to just hand over mine whenever you need one.

OK, THIS thread doesn't get locked or moved the W&C WHY? I could say I farted and get dinged for it, but this guy.......:grumpy:

The answer there is simple. The OP in this thread and also most of the posters seem interested in having a mature, serious, respectful, and focused discussion of this serious and knife-related topic. That is a bit different than swapping fart jokes.

The topic here is potentially controversial. But that does not mean that we can't have a good discussion of it as long as everyone respects each other, their opinions, and their right to have and express opinions. It doesn't mean that we can't stay focused on the topic at-hand and discuss the topic without discussing each-other. It doesn't means that we can't have a civil and polite discussion.

I would like to think that as the Internet -- and the world's -- premier knife discussion community, we can have a good, civil, and thoughtful discussion of this important topic.

So far, I would like to congratulate the participants here for doing just that.

What are we talking about here? Who cares. Let people do whatever they want with their lives. If someone wants to think and feel like a superhero with his $800 xm-18, let them. What's it to you? Valid points or not, this is a personal matter. You are not gonna change the world by pointing out what you perceive as faults with other people. Do you, and worry about your own life. Want to do something positive for society, go volunteer for a charity or something.

What are we talking about here? Who cares. Let people do whatever they want with their lives. If someone wants to think and feel like a superhero with his $800 xm-18, let them. What's it to you? Valid points or not, this is a personal matter. You are not gonna change the world by pointing out what you perceive as faults with other people. Do you, and worry about your own life. Want to do something positive for society, go volunteer for a charity or something.

:thumbup:

My wife and I have donated our time and money to help the inner city poor. We even welcomed them in our home to get good meals and sleep in a clean bed. I'm not patting myself on the back but I would just like to see more people get involved with the less fortunate in their communities. That's much more productive than criticizing others.

Lest for coming off as a jerk I'll keep my 2 cents general.

Sometimes with text it's hard to see emotion, so we make up that emotion in our heads. I always keep that in mind while reading text messages, IRC chat rooms, forum posts etc. Not all the time someone is coming off as an elitist jerk, some just choose to perceive it that way. Of course some make it clear that they do feel that way, but who cares? Maybe it's just me but a complete stranger's opinion on the net isn't going to effect me one way or the other. We're here because we enjoy knives and chat with guys/girls who enjoy the same hobby.

Sheeple (a portmanteau of "sheep" and "people") is a term in which people are likened to sheep, a herd animal. The term is used to describe those who voluntarily acquiesce to a suggestion without critical analysis or research. They undermine their own individuality and may willingly give up their rights.

Source:Wikipedia

:D

sheeple.png

It is an issue of comformity. Everyday we are pressured to conform to political correctness. Carrying a knife is a no no. Showing any form of masculinity is a no no. Stating right from wrong is a no no. We are on an slide that cannot easily be reversed.

It's funny when I see threads sometimes with some knife "enthusiast" acting like he's such a victim who's being crucified by the non-knife people in society. And then I'll see threads where some knife "enthusiast" who thinks that just because he chooses to carry a knife with him everyday it makes him feel unique unlike some of the mortals in society who decide not to. We really need to get out of this mindset that just because we like knives and love this hobby, there's something special about it. It's just a hobby. We like knives. We're no different than a person who decides to collect stamps.

People who are alarmed upon seeing a guy take out a knife 3 inch bladed pocket knife in public to open a pack of Sweet-n-lo are not "sheep". They're just people who are aware that society is filled with weirdos. Let them be concerned. If they start running and screaming like banshees at the sight of a swiss army knife, that's one thing. But for the most part, even us knife guys would have some reservations upon seeing anybody flick a knife open in public even if it is just for a micro second.

Knife "enthusiasts" do not do society a favor by carrying a knife in public. Nobody other than us knife fans care about blade steels. Or sebenzas. Or locks. Or the latest knife designs. But who cares? It's a small sub-culture. That's fine. I don't look down on people who don't carry a knife in public. Neither should you. Only people who are insecure about their status and accomplishments in society would be insecure enough to think so.

Like I said, we are not more "informed" about being efficient in society just because we carry a knife. That would be like a guy who lifts weights just because there might be a time when he'll need to lift a Mazda off of a woman during rush hour. Sure, the time might come when a person might have an emergency and need a loose string cut off from his sweater vest and one of us knife guys will be the savior society needed, but one can only wish for a day like that. I know this thread will p!ss a lot of you off, but it had to be said. A lot of you are pretty silly.

Wait, does that mean if I lift weights AND carry a knife, I'm twice as silly? :confused:

You bring up some good points. It sounds kind of abrasive and it's naturally going to cause butthurt, but it's an interesting point of discussion. Your 'sweet-n-lo' example is too close to the truth to be funny - half of the stories people post here about folks "freaking out" over seeing a knife in public go along the lines of: "So I whipped out my Cold Steel XL Voyager to cut my Big Mac into thirds and someone freaked out" - well, Genius, of course someone freaked out. They all seem to start with "I was doing a task that didn't need to be done in the first place, with a flashy/huge/tactical knife, and then someone was concerned and I don't get it". :confused: That's not a thing that normal people do, I don't care where you are or whether you're allowed to do it - doing crap that draws attention to yourself like that is like painting "There's something not quite right about this person" on your chest. You didn't need to cut that big mac into thirds in the first place, and you certainly didn't need to bring along your giant novelty-sized pocket knife to do it. :rolleyes: Even if what you're doing with your knife in public is permitted, it is usually not normal behaviour, and it makes sense that people get concerned about it. Whining about political correctness-this, sheeple-that isn't going to help change your lot in life half so much as a little common sense and discretion on the part of the knife user.

303329.jpg

Additionally, I chuckle every time I hear about some fat, untrained, inexperienced individual who starts carrying a flashlight, glock, and pocket knife and brands himself a "Sheepdog" and protector of the republic. The notion that you want to be prepared and equipped to help other people in need is a good notion, and the term 'Sheepdog' isn't necessarily a bad moniker. What this mentality seems to have devolved into is unfit, untrained people buying a million tactical accessories and thinking that they're prepared for hell or high water. You can be helpful to other people, sure, but you'll benefit everyone much more by taking first aid courses and getting in shape than you will by carrying around a bunch of silly tactical gadgets. IMHO, a lot (not all, but a lot) of these "sheepdogs" are no different from people who spend too much money on their electronic gadgets or stamp collections - they just like collecting things that they don't actually intend/know how to use, and they're just as useless.

[youtube]5wI7qIpTsnc[/youtube]

Laughed my butt off when I got to the 1:00 mark. It's one thing for someone who knows what they're doing to carry a gun/knife/flashlight and all that entails, but I wonder how many people watch this and then genuinely think that they become the upper crust of society just by jamming a 1911 into their waistband on the way to their desk job... :eek:

That said, carrying a knife (or gun, or flashlight, or whatever) isn't a silly or useless thing to do in and of itself. It has perfectly legitimate uses outside of this tactical sheepdog fad.

Not everyone who puts a knife in their pocket when they go to work in the morning is one of these nutnfancy-level sheepdog types who take themselves super seriously. Lately, I carry a knife because a) I am a dork and I like them, and b) because I find them useful every now and again. Formerly, I carried a knife because I was a knife dork and my job needed cutting tasks done all the time, but I've had something of a career change and I don't even need to do much cutting anymore in the run of a day. That's really as complicated as it gets for me, and I don't put much thought into how I'm going to save the day with my pocket knife and become the hero society deserves. :p If someone wants to carry a knife "just in case", then what does it matter? I find the over-the-top sheepdog attitude to be pretty silly, but there's nothing wrong with carrying a knife.

As an aside, bashing weightlifting is extremely silly, because it's useful in literally every physical activity you do, not just in lifting mazdas off of soccer moms or whatever (although it is useful in that regard, too). Being strong and fit makes difficult physical chores easy, and makes easy tasks even easier. Plus it helps keep you healthy and is much more useful in stressful / hazardous situations than having a million tactical gadgets in your pockets. :thumbup:

Last edited:
It is an issue of comformity. Everyday we are pressured to conform to political correctness. Carrying a knife is a no no. Showing any form of masculinity is a no no. Stating right from wrong is a no no. We are on an slide that cannot easily be reversed.

I don't see any of that at all. We have more freedoms here than ever. Maybe its different up there???

I've always felt knife nuts in general, as a few specifically here have always suffered from a bit of a persecution complex. It's not unusual, though, for a group of like minded people to play up an "us against the world" angle among themselves. I think it functions as something of a bonding behavior, reinforcing common values. Ironically enough, I think such behavior also has a tendency to heighten sensitivity and public advocacy among group members, possibly making outsiders more aware of the peculiarities involved with the hobby and increasing distinctions between hobbyists and outsiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back