Some random action shots (just 'cuz)

I've been taking pics of making a knife... there's tons of them, but I just thought I'd throw some in here because I like crap like this when other people do it. :)

These are just some random ones taken from the sketches I started with to getting two bars that are ready to be twisted for a Turkish-ish Twist.

Okay, I should have labeled them, sorry! LOL

The engineer part of me always wants a plan... so a pencil sketch is where I start
standard.jpg

21 layers of alternating 1084/15N20 stacked up and MIG welded together with a classy rebar handle. The 15N20 is all doubled up because I wanted to be about the same thickness as the 1084
standard.jpg

Billet in the forge
standard.jpg

Rotating the billet, basically just checking on it to see if the flux is flowing and where the temp is.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Initial drawing of the billet under the hydraulic press
standard.jpg

Drawing (stretching) the billet on the 100# Little Giant
standard.jpg

Close up of above
standard.jpg

The billet has been take up to ~60 layers (the initial billet cut and stacked 3 times (21)) Then drawn to two square bars. One will be twisted clockwise and the other will be twisted counter clockwise. That initial billet was 6" long, these two bars are 35" and 50" in length.
standard.jpg

Oh yeah! I want a poster of the pic of you in the Italian tuxedo on my shop wall!:eek:
Cool pics!
Mace

Cool stuff you have a hell of a shop,

proof hardwork pays off

I wish I understood 100% what is going on and what is happening to make it all come together.

Cool pics Nick, but it looks like your doing some forge work without safty glasses, can't tell for sure, your hat may be blooking them. If so don't do it anymore, after nearly loosing an eye I won't be doing anything without safty glasses again! I love your shop set-up, any forging I have to hope it doesn't rain!

Very Slick Nick :D

Yup definately got tool envy on this one :eek:, mostly from the hammer, cause I ain't got one.

Jeez, Nick, talk about safe forging, you put a condom on your anvil! Looks like you got a new Schempp cap... :thumbup: :D

Jeez, Nick, talk about safe forging, you put a condom on your anvil! Looks like you got a new Schempp cap... :thumbup: :D

You don't want him getting to the other anvils without one! You'll have tons of little anvils all over the place!

:thumbup:Thanks for sharing with us Nick. It's nice to see some live action here. It looks like you work as neatly and methodically as your completed knives. I hope you'll post the rest of the construction of this knife.
You are a good source of inspiration.

Thanks
Alden

Back to more serious stuff, Nick, I really like that small knife in the drawing!
And, what tonnage is your press?
You have too much fun.

WOW!! So im pressed witht he shop, and can't wait to see more pics!

Holy Crap, you get your JS and then you let yourself go, where's the dress suit. :D:D
Nice job Nick, keep them comin.

Bill

Yes, definitely keep em coming. And tell us about that hunter and the integral in the sketches too!

John

Thanks for the tool pron Nick =) I'm seriously jelous !

Looks like you're well on your way to working on a changing that J to an M too!

Nick, it looks like you've added some more muscle mass in the last year? Hopefully it's not just from donuts at breaktime. ;)

Nice pictorial. Did you find another forge pixie to take fotos?

Back