Some random action shots (just 'cuz)

custom knives are definately needed....to be made atleast. If not then I'd just spend my free time making beer...no really
Paul

You do look like you've lost a little scince vermont

nice little knife too!

Nick is lying. That's a 50lb anvil with a really tiny guy behind it. He tried that trick once before when he posted the pics of him carrying it into the shop. :jerkit:

Hi Nick,

I just found this thread. I wanted to thank you for posting up my web site address in the discussion about the integral grinding attachment. I’m glad that it is working for you. I’ve thought about offering the design to Rob Frink or Al Lawrence to see if they would want to make some of them.

I made the attachment because I wanted to submit an integral for the Master Smith test. I had never made an integral before and didn’t have a grinder for making them. (I must have been nuts for wanting to submit a knife design that I had never made before for the Master’s test.) Anyway, it worked out, since I passed. I really like the KMG grinder and I have made a number of attachments for it; including the clip grinding attachment. I got the plans from Henry Torres. Was that your design?

I don’t often get caught up in shop envy, but dang man, you got some nice toys in yours. I’ve got a really nice shop building and it’s well equipped, but it took me years to acquire all of that stuff. I never had anything like that when I was your age. Congratulations…….

Steve-

Thanks for posting! You are most welcome for the mention. I try to give credit where it's due. Sometimes it's hard to know "who came up with what" in this craft... but it was easy to know the source of the (your) integral attachment! :)

I reread my posts on it and want to apologize as it read like I was saying there were some design bugs that needed to be worked out. That is NOT what I meant. I meant I might need to tweak some of the things I did with the construction of it. Namely, I think I filed the small wheel fork down a little too much (hence that piece of rusty steel stuck under the platen as a shim :eek: ).

I never followed up with more pics of it for two reasons... 1.) I haven't had a chance to use it again (YET!) and 2.) I decided I should talk to you about it since it's your design and I hadn't done that yet either.

I have made a handful of integrals over the last couple years and this attachment makes finishing out that transition one of the easiest parts of making the knife... where it used the be THE most difficult (for me).

THANKS STEVE!!!

BTW- I do have a lot of stuff now, but I started buying it 12 years ago and made a ton of sacrifices for it to happen.

Now I just need a nice new shop building so it can all be laid-out and organized as nicely as your shop is! :thumbup:

Oh, clip grinding rig/rest.... I'm not sure what Henry ended up making. He and I talked about stuff like that and salt pots and all sorts of other lies at the last couple shows we were set up at. I drew up and made the clip grinding "tool rest" in the pics on my Burr King, but haven't made one for the KMG.

My next big shop purchase will most likely be a John LeBlanc horizontal 2X72!!! :cool:

Nick,

What an awesome thread man!!! You think you look fat at 230 ha ha ha
I have what doctors call "A little bit of a weight problem"

You have a lot more toys than when I visited your shop three years ago.

Do you still have that "stuff" in your deward?

Looking great dude, get it done or as Bob Lum used to say "Put the steel to the wheel!"

Keith,

I don’t have any pictures of the clip grinding attachment yet, but I will take some. Maybe I will put them on the Shop Gallery page of my web site. I’ll put the integral attachment photos on there too. I’ll let you know when I have them on there. I had cataract surgery on my left eye a week ago and my vision is really blurry yet, so it may be a few days before I can get that done. I’ve been welding up damascus for the last couple of days, because I can’t see to do detail work right now.

Nick,

Filing the small wheel fork is basically a crap shoot, because you don’t really have a reference point to measure from. I got lucky when I built my attachment and happened to get it right. When I was thinking about building the attachment, I expected to have to make some kind of screw adjustable arrangement to set the height of the platten to meet the top of the wheel. I still want to make the attachment adjustable so I can use different diameter wheels, like ¾”. I’m thinking a ¼” x 1’ bar, tack welded to the underside of the end of the platten. The bar will project out from both sides of the platten. The ends of the bar twisted to match the angle of the platten. Drill the projecting ends for ¼” x 20 thread screws. The screws will bottom on the small wheel fork and raise the platten as you screw them in. If want to use a larger wheel, it will probably be necessary to hinge the top of the platten.

That horizontal grinder would be great to have. I have modified the work rest on my KMG to fit vertically on the flat platten of my machine. So it works like a horizontal grinder, except it’s actually vertical. I’ve also made modifications to the machine so that I can use the work rest vertically on the round wheel attachment and horizontally on the rotary platten.

I am constantly modifying my machines and making jigs and attachments to facilitate making knives. If anything that you are doing is not easy to do accurately, or if you need to repeatedly do the same operation, build something to make it easier and repeatable. Jerry Fisk told me that I should quit making knives and just design tools for knifemakers……

I've added pictures of the integral grinding attachment and the clip grinding attachment to my web site. Use the link below, to go to my web site and go the the Shop Gallery page. Photos are there, with descriptions and measurements.

thanks to Nick and the rest of you guys for posting such great pictures and sharing tools and tips!

I'd like to say this is a tough crowd.... but it's pretty much all on me... considering it's been almost a year since I started this thread. Yikes. ;)

I'm back in school for the second time around... with a double major in welding and machining. I thought it was going to be pretty easy, but nowadays they're really beefing up on materials science, processes of manufacture, etc.... Good thing I've got the engineering degree... that definitely helps to make some sense of the academic side of things.

School sure eats up a lot of time, but the piece in this thread is one of three that are getting attention when I can make time. :)

I do have some more pics that are new since the last ones I posted here, but apparently I misplaced them.:grumpy:

Steve-

Thanks for posting! You are most welcome for the mention. I try to give credit where it's due. Sometimes it's hard to know "who came up with what" in this craft... but it was easy to know the source of the (your) integral attachment! :)

I reread my posts on it and want to apologize as it read like I was saying there were some design bugs that needed to be worked out. That is NOT what I meant. I meant I might need to tweak some of the things I did with the construction of it. Namely, I think I filed the small wheel fork down a little too much (hence that piece of rusty steel stuck under the platen as a shim :eek: ).

I never followed up with more pics of it for two reasons... 1.) I haven't had a chance to use it again (YET!) and 2.) I decided I should talk to you about it since it's your design and I hadn't done that yet either.

I have made a handful of integrals over the last couple years and this attachment makes finishing out that transition one of the easiest parts of making the knife... where it used the be THE most difficult (for me).

THANKS STEVE!!!

BTW- I do have a lot of stuff now, but I started buying it 12 years ago and made a ton of sacrifices for it to happen.

Now I just need a nice new shop building so it can all be laid-out and organized as nicely as your shop is! :thumbup:

Oh, clip grinding rig/rest.... I'm not sure what Henry ended up making. He and I talked about stuff like that and salt pots and all sorts of other lies at the last couple shows we were set up at. I drew up and made the clip grinding "tool rest" in the pics on my Burr King, but haven't made one for the KMG.

My next big shop purchase will most likely be a John LeBlanc horizontal 2X72!!! :cool:

Big Nick you had better hurry, John Leblanc just built a "Cushman Eagle" from scratch in his shop he put a big 21 HP motor on that sucker and is screaming around the countryside like he was 18 years old. He said he is really winding down in the shop for grinders.

Great thread
Spencer

Ok, so I'm a few days late, but here's a one year anniversary bump. :D

Back