Some SAK love

2n092kz.jpg

Ok I have a question I think this thread is the place to ask. I got this exact model sak when I was 10 as my first "real" knife. Two biggest reasons at the time for my choice 1: I was in scouts and it plainly says camping right on the knife, plus the cool teepee! 10 year old logic lol 2: it was the closest one to my Dads who was gifted to him from his brother. The only difference being his had scissors. So my question is what is that model called? Also I carried a tinker for years, so even though I don't have a sak at the moment(I need to fix that) I do have a special place in my heart for them. Thanks guys

My definition of SAK (Swiss Army Knife) is it has to be made by a company that makes knives for the Swiss Army. That used to be Victorinox and Wenger. Currently it is only Victorinox. Anything else is a Swiss army type knife, or clone or imitation, but not a SAK (Swiss Army Knife). That's how I define it. You or someone else may define it differently.

O.B.
I would roughly agree with this. But would ask, would knives produced by Victorinox or Wenger for other militaries be included? If I'm not mistaken one or both produced knives for the west German army but they had different profiles than a normal ask. And to my Dad (an old biker himself) ANY brand besides Victorinox is a knockoff even Wenger lol

Thanks but I meant the model my Dad had, its same as the camper, but with the addition of scissors. Totally my fault,I wasn't clear enough in my original post ;)

Thanks but I meant the model my Dad had, its same as the camper, but with the addition of scissors. Totally my fault,I wasn't clear enough in my original post ;)

The Huntsman adds a pair of scissors to the camper and it also has the hook on the bottom near the cork screw and awl.

Thanks I believe that's it, I didn't remember the hook. But it has been several years since he put it in his "retirement/keepsake knives" box. He was gifted it by his brother in 88, my uncle passed from complications of open heart surgery in 89, that's the same year I got my first. I think after many years of carrying it , Dad became afraid of losing it, it was the last Christmas gift from his brother.

I hope those copper covers become available again.
I'd like a set for my Huntsman.

I should have ordered a few sets.

I didn't know they weren't available at the moment..I recently traded that SAK for a Cattaraugus 225Q.

They patina nicely. And are heavy, as you could imagine.

I messaged Swiss Bianco a few times over the last year...never got a response.

Senhor Pinto, that's an admirable collection of Old Cross Vics, and your limited edition Pioneers are like a rainbow!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you, I believe that, if Victorinox continue this series will make a rainbow.;):D

The Explorer.
It has scissors and a philips head screwdriver and magnifying glass as well as the usual array of blades.
Also the Angler or Fisherman...i think its the Angler that has pliers and scissors.
Ideally a modern SAK would not include a corkscrew as they are obsolete and replace it with something more useful.
After that if you want more you go up into the wider SwissChamp territory.

Last edited:
I too have contacted Swissbianco.Hilararious.
A few years ago I had the good fortune to stumble upon a disused window display sak.
The giant one that opens and closes.
All covered in dust and cobwebs with bratz dolls in the display case where saks once took pride of place.
Long story short I scored it for 30aud.Bargain.but it didnt operate.
I took it to bits and contacted SB for some schematics.The only reply was that it legally belongs to Victorinox and should be sent back to Switzerland(from Australia) forthwith at my expense.And no plans are available anyway.So no luck there.
Took it to mechanically minded mate who got the thing functioning again.Ive seen them on ebuy for insane amounts.
Im probably being paranoid but those guys at the end of the street playing alpenhorns and munching on toblerones whilst drilli g holes in cheese might be agents of the Swiss secret service.

The Explorer.
It has scissors and a philips head screwdriver and magnifying glass as well as the usual array of blades.
Also the Angler or Fisherman...i think its the Angler that has pliers and scissors.
Ideally a modern SAK would not include a corkscrew as they are obsolete and replace it with something more useful.
After that if you want more you go up into the wider SwissChamp territory.
Not that obsolete in Europe. :) It can also be used with the mini screwdriver insert and it's a very useful tool for opening knots.

Unless you drink wine? More than a couple of times I've chosen a wine to bring back to my hotel room because it had a screw top, or I've been on the phone with the front desk asking "Do you happen to have a corkscrew?".

Agrered on corkscrews.
But lets face it.
The screw cap is the future.
AND a proper corkscrew can be obtained at an op shop for very little.
Corked bottles are generally more expensive wines.
Yes the screw top wine has mostly replaced the cork and plastic cork:confused: here....and we do make lots of wine.:Do_O

Last edited:
Back