Some thoughts and stuff and common sense...

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A lecturer when explaining stress management to an audience,
Raised a glass of water and asked

'How heavy is this glass of water?'

Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g.

The lecturer replied, 'The absolute weight doesn't matter.
It depends on how long you try to hold it.

If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem.
If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm.
If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance.
In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.'

He continued,

'And that's the way it is with stress management.

If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later,
As the burden becomes increasingly heavy, We won't be able to carry on.'
'As with the glass of water,You have to put it down for a while and rest
before holding it again.When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden.'

'So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down.
Don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow.
Whatever burdens you're carrying now, Let them down for a moment if you can.'

So, my friend, put down anything that may be a burden to you right now.
Don't pick it up again until after you've rested a while.

Here are some great ways of dealing with the burdens of life:

* Always keep your words soft and sweet just in case you have to eat them.

* Always wear stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

* Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be "Recalled" by their maker.

* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

* When everything's coming your way, You're in the wrong lane.

* Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

* You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

* We could learn a lot from crayons... Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.

*A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour

:)
G2

A friend of mine says, "There's no reason to ever have the same thought twice... unless, of course, you enjoy having that thought." The point being not to dwell on the negative.

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

---Bruce Lee

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

---Bruce Lee

Ahhhhh:rolleyes:... Bruce Lee was all wet!:p;)

hehe, you say that now, he's not here ;)

Thanks guys, good stuff, appreciate the additional input,
G2

Gary, excellent post and thoughts to live by. I have been sending stuff like this to my son for about the last 10 years or so (he's 25 now), & when he was still living at home, he would ask why I sent it. I told him one of these days it would make sense to you. Now I get them from him with some wise crack comment attached to it. Glad to know the seeds planted awhile back are finally bearing fruit. Thanks again.
Be safe.

How about "You win or you learn"
or ...
"Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo"

... both spotted lately on a local inspirational billboard.

In my case the older I have gotten the easier it has gotten to just not give a dam about things.

I do remember when things that happened felt like the end of my world.
I suspect it was hormones or chemicals in my body that as I have aged no longer rule me.

Thats the only positive thing getting older has given me. As far as I can tell.

Age has a way of doing that I think, and in some respects I feel things have certainly changed for me as well, how I look at things that happen around me or to me.

There are so many things that happen to us it boggles the mind, each person is very different and can react differently to the same situation that another person might.

Short story, I was running an installation project in the great state of New Jersey, south Jersey in a small town called Bridgeton. I had 4 guys working on one machine's conveyor system, each end had to have sprockets changed out for steel ones and one end needed a new motor to drive the entire thing.

One end was just removing the chain, some plates and the old sprockets and replacing them, the other had not only the sprockets but also a pretty large and heavy motor. As I was checking on the guys, the one with all the extra hard work the two guys there were working away, smiling and just happy. I walked not 10 feet away to the other end of the machine and two other guys where working and they were plain grim, upset, tired and well, not very happy. I asked how was it going ? both of them just looked at me like 'are you kidding? this is a terrible job and we are not happy'

I made sure there wasn't an issue with any of the mechanical portion that would cause this undue stress and hardship but both said 'no, nothing is wrong, just a lot of work'

They finally finished up but this just showed me how people can vary in their emotions doing even a lesser job. All four guys were good service engineers, but it was obvious to me that the one pair just did not want to be there, no matter what. So it boils down on what your attitude is to any situation, that reaction thing is pretty powerful and we can choose to drown or grab a surf board and head for shore :)

Whew typed more than I thought, but, that's just me again ;)
G2

A lecturer when explaining stress management to an audience,
Raised a glass of water and asked

'How heavy is this glass of water?'

Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g.

The lecturer replied, 'The absolute weight doesn't matter.
It depends on how long you try to hold it.

If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem.
If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm.
If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance.
In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.'

He continued,

'And that's the way it is with stress management.

If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later,
As the burden becomes increasingly heavy, We won't be able to carry on.'
'As with the glass of water,You have to put it down for a while and rest
before holding it again.When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden.'

'So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down.
Don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow.
Whatever burdens you're carrying now, Let them down for a moment if you can.'

So, my friend, put down anything that may be a burden to you right now.
Don't pick it up again until after you've rested a while.

Here are some great ways of dealing with the burdens of life:

* Always keep your words soft and sweet just in case you have to eat them.

* Always wear stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

* Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be "Recalled" by their maker.

* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

* When everything's coming your way, You're in the wrong lane.

* Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

* You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

* We could learn a lot from crayons... Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.

*A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour

:)
G2
This was a delight to read, thank you.

That was refreshing, I’ve never had a “friend” ask to borrow money but I have offered to lend money to a friend in need.

"Don't sweat the small stuff.
And, when you get right down to it, it's all small stuff!"

(I don't remember who said that. It might have been that guy, "Anonymous" who gets quoted so often.
Or maybe it was Al Einstein?)

Back