Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

He and the others mentioned above are a good resource. I sometimes miss important facts due to the hypnotic effect of his voice. If he thinks a knife is perfect, I know it will probably be too small for me. He seems completely honest, almost too honest—I thought he was kind of the “goody 2 shoes” of the knife world until I saw his edc pack had a lockpick set!

Last edited:
I have to say that I like Nick's reviews as well. He relies (reading some here, maybe not with good reason) for the people that watch his reviews to take them as they are, no more no less. His opinions, his likes and dislikes, with the understanding that we are not his fanboys. He isn't afraid to express his opinions good or bad, not much politics or fear of backlash from sponsors as part of his review. There are more than a few that seem to like just about every knife they get, no doubt for undisclosed reasons.

Reading the comments on certain knives it is clear that many are butt hurt when their favorite knife or brand doesn't receive glowing reviews. Again, he makes no pretense that he carries some kind of knife engineering degree and when reading his responses, he is pretty self deprecating. He absolutely doesn't see himself as the last word or the unquestioned expert in all things knives. He does provide a good look at knives and has (to me) a pretty good sense of balance and will raise good talking points that merit follow up when purchasing certain knives. That voice... wow. To a South Texan's ear, it is jarring. But even so, I now look at it as part of his "brand" and appreciate it as such.

I wonder how many here have any idea how long it takes to put together a cogent review. I make short videos for customers in my construction business, and it isn't as easy as turning on the camera and start yakking it up. He covers a lot of ground, keeps it amusing, and always hopes that his reviews have been useful and wishes us a good day at the end. What's not to like? For those that find him a turn off, simply don't watch his videos!

Where else would we get a gem like "pocket pecker"? I laugh every time he says it.

Robert

I've watched many of his vids and don't remember that one.
Would you post a link ?

I like his accent / voice / mannerisms. Fun stuff.

Sure. Let me look through my YouTube history. He now uses that as an identifying mark on overly large flipper tabs.

Update: He says it in several videos, but this one has it around 3:45 into the video.

Last edited:
'Pocket Pecker' originated in the ZT0452CF review, but has stuck around. I define it more directly here: http://knifenews.com/knife-gripes-episode-8-flipping-out/

Also, to Midnight Flyer's point: The average review, not counting the time of carrying and casual evaluation, takes about 1-1.5 hours to write, and 20-30 minutes to film, then 10 minutes to upload. Plus ~45 minutes to film and upload the disassembly. More complicated reviews, or ones which require a lot of thinking, can be much longer. And that's only because I've gotten much faster over time.

And thank you, all, for the kind words.

'Pocket Pecker' originated in the ZT0452CF review, but has stuck around. I define it more directly here: http://knifenews.com/knife-gripes-episode-8-flipping-out/

Also, to Midnight Flyer's point: The average review, not counting the time of carrying and casual evaluation, takes about 1-1.5 hours to write, and 20-30 minutes to film, then 10 minutes to upload. Plus ~45 minutes to film and upload the disassembly. More complicated reviews, or ones which require a lot of thinking, can be much longer. And that's only because I've gotten much faster over time.

And thank you, all, for the kind words.

Another famous BF member! Keep on cutting (and telling), brother!

Last edited:
Having just gotten into knives recently, I value Nick’s opinion more than anyone else’s on YouTube. We have similar tastes in knives — I like small knives as well. I’ve watched many reviewers on YouTube, and have found that most of them evaluate a knife by how well it can be used for outdoor tasks like hunting/fishing/camping. I never do any of those things, so for me I want a knife that works better in an indoor/office environment, and Nick’s reviews evaluate exactly that. His review of the Olamic Busker is what convinced me to buy one, my first expensive knife.

he seems to favor Spyderco and that's not a bad thing. look at his collection and there is more Spyderco than any other brand. I like that he doesn't hold back telling it like it is like so many reviewers do. I can't imagine how much time he spends making videos for Youtube and not getting much of a money return. I could not do it and neither could most people. He and many others are doing a service because they sure aren't seeing any kind of real money return for their time. It's almost like doing PSA's. It shows the love of knives and it's not a bad thing !!! BTW is he ever going to get married or is it an eternal fiancee situation ? don't do it Nick, Don't do it. You know I raised you smarter than that. The milks free.You don't have to buy the cow. Do not, I repeat, Do not get married. you know better !!!

Nick is great in my opinion I really enjoy watching his reviews. I recently acquired a WE 617 on the forum and picked it up because of his review. I find his reviews well thought out and informative with just the right amount of geeky humor. Nick has a good eye for quality and looks at knives as what they should be cutting tools while also enjoying artistic pieces for what that are. His live bad knife stream on Friday was fun to watch personally enjoyed that shit out of it. Keep up the great work Nick thanks for giving us the good, great, bad and ugly of each interesting little knife.

he seems to favor Spyderco and that's not a bad thing. look at his collection and there is more Spyderco than any other brand. I like that he doesn't hold back telling it like it is like so many reviewers do. I can't imagine how much time he spends making videos for Youtube and not getting much of a money return. I could not do it and neither could most people. He and many others are doing a service because they sure aren't seeing any kind of real money return for their time. It's almost like doing PSA's. It shows the love of knives and it's not a bad thing !!! BTW is he ever going to get married or is it an eternal fiancee situation ? don't do it Nick, Don't do it. You know I raised you smarter than that. The milks free.You don't have to buy the cow. Do not, I repeat, Do not get married. you know better !!!

Somebody just got crossed off the invite list! I’m sure the man knows what he’s doing, and he’ll weigh the pros and cons with the same brilliance that he shows in his reviews. If he favors spyderco it’s because they put the most attention to detail and function than any other company I can think of.
✌️

I have to admit that I like his reviews. Very entertaining. He has also put me on to some great knives like the Ontario Rats. Keep it up Nick, I'll be watching.

I enjoy nicks reviews very entertaining. Went to a local knife shop today had to giggle a little when they had a rat instock

Here's hoping that ESEE releases the "ESEE Cockaroach" to go with the Avispa and Zancudo, so we can test your theory.

The Essee Cucaracha. Si se agacha, se le ve la cuc...
Kinda surprised they don’t have an Essee Sicario.

Last edited:
Back