Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find your videos entertaining and informative. Keep up the good work and cows you guys the best

I have to say I'm a fan of his videos. When I'm looking for YT reviews, I pretty much only prefer Nick and NutNFancy. (Say what you want about NutNFancy, but his reviews are nauseatingly thorough, and I like that).

As for Nick, I think the first time I watched one of his videos, I was looking for a video on a watch... I don't even remember which watch it was, now, but when I clicked "play" I was immediately thrown off by his strong accent. I actually thought he was joking. But as time has gone on, I tend to gravitate to his reviews, especially with knives.

And, I don't always agree with him, either. In fact, after watching his review of the CRK Inkosi (In which he was very clear that he didn't like it) I went out and bought one and have no regrets. Just because his and my preferences don't align doesn't mean that I don't still value his opinions and detail.

It also helps that he's funny.

I have to say I'm a fan of his videos. When I'm looking for YT reviews, I pretty much only prefer Nick and NutNFancy. (Say what you want about NutNFancy, but his reviews are nauseatingly thorough, and I like that).

As for Nick, I think the first time I watched one of his videos, I was looking for a video on a watch... I don't even remember which watch it was, now, but when I clicked "play" I was immediately thrown off by his strong accent. I actually thought he was joking. But as time has gone on, I tend to gravitate to his reviews, especially with knives.

And, I don't always agree with him, either. In fact, after watching his review of the CRK Inkosi (In which he was very clear that he didn't like it) I went out and bought one and have no regrets. Just because his and my preferences don't align doesn't mean that I don't still value his opinions and detail.

It also helps that he's funny.

Im a fan of his videos,
b4 buying any knife I try to watch his video/review abt tht knife to help me make a decision.
Thanks

Last edited:
Congrats Nick on ur wedding.

Altho many times I dont agree with ur feel abt a knife, as personal preferences & feelings may differ, I ACTUALLY ENJOY what u say abt a knife, and most definitely try to seek out all those points that u talk about in ur review.
Thanks for all ur videos, more power to u man!

One of the first youtubers I actually subscribed to, and one of the few where I watch every video. Of at least have it playing in the background as I've grown fond of his voice over the years.

All in all Nick is a gem, but his Lil bitch hands fooled me on the size of the 0450.

Yup, I have to agree with everyone here; I love his videos and reviews. His honesty, respect, and opinions are why I honestly respect his opinions. I thoroughly enjoy his humor and sarcasm, and I love his voice. His voice alone is more than enough to entertain me. That being said, what I appreciate most about him is his humility. He's developed a large following, but he's still extremely humble. He is the only person on YouTube that I have subscribed to and I enjoy him so much that I watch all of his videos. I have no hobby of collecting watches, flashlights, or pens but I watch all of his videos for entertainment value alone. "But I digress" is a phrase I use almost everyday because of him. Keep up your great work Nick. I, and more than 59k others, truly enjoy your videos and reviews.

He's prolific, that's for sure. Opinionated, that takes guts. I like his sense of humor and sometimes he makes great points, but sometimes, he completely misses the point of a knife. For example, when he reviewed the traditional Japanese friction folder and said it was of horrible build quality and not useful as EDC.

It's made and sold here as a historic EDC for Japanese peasants 100 years ago. It was always made to a low price point, and still generally is inexpensive. (and cheap!) But yet, Ol' Nick is comparing it against modern Spyderco compression locks with modern steel and costing 10X the amount? It's like it flew right over his head.

Also, he doesn't respond to most comments on his channel, which makes me think he's just cranking out videos for the ad revenue. He just blasts through the size comparisons, which is one of the more consistently useful parts of his videos.

The format is also not very good. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? I guess 'ugly' is worse than 'bad'. But nothing is better than 'good', just so he can use the catchy movie name?

I guess the bottom line is that he's now a YouTube personality for knife nuts; a staple. I'm glad he was able to carve out his niche in our little world. Maybe his ad revenue is able to support his habit. ;)

Hiya Smaug,

First off, nice name!

He's prolific, that's for sure. Opinionated, that takes guts. I like his sense of humor and sometimes he makes great points, but sometimes, he completely misses the point of a knife. For example, when he reviewed the traditional Japanese friction folder and said it was of horrible build quality and not useful as EDC.

It's made and sold here as a historic EDC for Japanese peasants 100 years ago. It was always made to a low price point, and still generally is inexpensive. (and cheap!) But yet, Ol' Nick is comparing it against modern Spyderco compression locks with modern steel and costing 10X the amount? It's like it flew right over his head.

Hah. I just finished replying to your Higo comment when I got pinged that this thread had a response. So, I think maybe we're doing different things here. What I'm trying to say there is that the Higo is not a great choice for modern EDC. Not that it wasn't a good knife for peasants in Japan, just that, relative to the other knives I put on my table, in the same context as everything else, it's not a great choice. Everything on my table is evaluated in roughly the same context. When it's a Higonokami or an Emerson combat-focused knife or a Cold Steel Espada XL, it can absolutely feel like I'm 'missing the point'. But really, it's just that, in the context I work (everyday urban-ish person modern EDC), some knives don't make any sense.

Also, he doesn't respond to most comments on his channel, which makes me think he's just cranking out videos for the ad revenue. He just blasts through the size comparisons, which is one of the more consistently useful parts of his videos.

Responding to comments on a large channel could be a full time job, and remember, this channel isn't my full time job. I've gotten 10 comments in the last 20 minutes. I try to respond to the ones that stand out when I get a moment, as I did with yours this morning, but I hope you're not holding my inability to drink from the firehose against me. You're always welcome to email if you've got a specific and urgent question, although even then, the delays are real. And sorry you don't care for the speedy size comparison, but I figure people can always screenshot, and that beats a 20 minute agonizing wait. Also, I think you're overestimating YouTube Ad revenue :)

The format is also not very good. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? I guess 'ugly' is worse than 'bad'. But nothing is better than 'good', just so he can use the catchy movie name?

I'm wondering if you haven't seen many of my videos in 2017 or 2018, where I've added "the Great", to address exactly this concern. Now it's symmetrical.

I guess the bottom line is that he's now a YouTube personality for knife nuts; a staple. I'm glad he was able to carve out his niche in our little world. Maybe his ad revenue is able to support his habit. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, and it's definitely nice to have some help from my Patrons to check out new gear :)

Nick it's always a pleasure when you show your face on the BF! "pun intended" Anyways Happy veterans day and have a wonderful rest of Your day:) BTW congrat's on your recent marriage and big move:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Nick. You just earned another subscriber, so you will have an extra few cents, hahaha.

You made some great points. (the GREAT, too much traffic to reply to all comments)

You're welcome to check out my channel, (Jeremy D) it's not as focused or polished as yours. Like you, it's not my full time job. I just started doing knife reviews again. I welcome your constructive criticism too.

I enjoy his reviews although I do not always agree with his assessments. I appreciate the emotions he stirs up when I disagree with him. As soon as I find myself disagreeing with him I recognize myself thinking through his faults as a content creator and why he is misleading/unfair/wrong. However, I quickly catch myself traveling the rabbit hole as a critic and redirect my finite energy giving thanks for his work which elevates the knife community as a whole. I am for anybody who adds value to the knife community and Shabazz is a value add. I wish more folks that were passionate about criticizing Nick would redirect their passion towards creating their own reviews and content to elevate the knife community at large.

I have enjoyed his knife and watch reviews immensely. Just started on flashlight reviews yesterday.

Short of a few reviews on knives, He and I have very similar tastes in blades AND watches. I had never seen a Koenig Arius until I stumbled upon his review 3 months back. I immediately wanted one. Same with the Olamic Wayfarer and Busker, immediately liked them.

I think he brings a lot to our world and I appreciate the time and effort he puts into his reviews.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back