Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

My review of Nick Shabazz. Plagiarizing his format, here's the good, the great, the bad and the ugly as I perceive them.

The Good
Nick caught my attention the first time I saw one of his videos, I knew I'd enjoy watching more. Whether I agree with his opinions or not, he presents them in such a way, as to imply that an invitation to politely disagree with him is always open, if not encouraged. I think it is a "beautiful thing".

He's got a "Woody Allen" vibe where he could insult you to your face and you'd be too busy laughing, to feel insulted.

Recently, I've discovered and really enjoyed his new short format Knife Gripes videos published by KnifeNews.com, especially the well-produced and somewhat grandiose intro which ends with a little dose of humility at Nick's expense.

His obsessive admiration of the Spyderco Slysz Bowie finally compelled me to buy one and I have to say, while it's not perfect, I really like it.

The Great
One of my favorite videos was the one where he breaks down several classes of knives from mass production to one of a kind customs. He reminded me that in a hobby where rare customs and those who create them and own them seem to reap much prestige, most of the community is made up regular guys just like us who enjoy finding great value for reasonable prices.

His impression of Microtech' s owner's regard for his customers is a riot and is absolutely justified. More generally, his Knife Gripe about fancy custom fasteners is spot on.

The Bad
Enough with the Graham, Grimsmo, Rats (1 and 2,) and Endura comparisons. How about some more variety in those comparisons unless that's the extent of his permanent collection.

I have a bunch of knives that seem somewhat less legitimate because I have not yet heard Nick's stylized opinion of them or seen them referenced as a comparison or alternative.

With any luck he's probably going to be rewarded financially from his videos and I hope he retains his "value" perspective as his hobby's proceeds begin to meet and exceed its expenses.

His knife gripes videos are great so far, but how many entertaining "gripes" can he conceive before he has to start unrealistically nitpicking or digging for things to complain about.

The Ugly
An analogy that seems to fit is Nick Shabazz is like having X-Ray vision. 99% of the time he's wildly entertaining, which is a "beautiful thing". 1% of the time his routine can be a bit distracting. Sometimes, I perceive a rhythmic pattern in his "shtick", where he over uses a phrase or uses a phrase in one context and then the exact phrase in another context, and it distracts me from the content. If he focuses on growing his repertoire of quips and "one liners", he can avoid repeating phrases and stale material.

The guy has no public face. If I was to see him a BladeShow, how would I be able to distinguish him from "some random jackass". Most editors traditionally post their picture with a few credentials after their articles. I think anonymity might hold him back a bit from breaking into real stardom...,but "what do I know?".

Conclusion
Finally, if you think I seem like a self righteous jerk for assuming that my opinion is worth the time it took you to read it, you'll understand what's so great and unique about Nick Shabazz. If he had wrote this, you'd have gained respect for his individual opinion, even if you disagree....which is why I think Nick Shabazz is a "Real Gem"

Last edited:
My review of Nick Shabazz. Plagiarizing his format, here's the good, the great, the bad and the ugly as I perceive them.

The Good
Nick caught my attention the first time I saw one of his videos, I knew I'd enjoy watching more. Whether I agree with his opinions or not, he presents them in such a way, as to imply that an invitation to politely disagree with him is always open, if not encouraged. I think it is a "beautiful thing".

He's got a "Woody Allen" vibe where he could insult you to your face and you'd be too busy laughing, to feel insulted.

Recently, I've discovered and really enjoyed his new short format Knife Gripes videos published by KnifeNews.com, especially the well-produced and somewhat grandiose intro which ends with a little dose of humility at Nick's expense.

His obsessive admiration of the Spyderco Slysz Bowie finally compelled me to buy one and I have to say, while it's not perfect, I really like it.

The Great
One of my favorite videos was the one where he breaks down several classes of knives from mass production to one of a kind customs. He reminded me that in a hobby where rare customs and those who create them and own them seem to reap much prestige, most of the community is made up regular guys just like us who enjoy finding great value for reasonable prices.

His impression of Microtech' s owner's regard for his customers is a riot and is absolutely justified. More generally, his Knife Gripe about fancy custom fasteners is spot on.

The Bad
Enough with the Graham, Grimsmo, Rats (1 and 2,) and Endura comparisons. How about some more variety in those comparisons unless that's the extent of his permanent collection.

I have a bunch of knives that seem somewhat less legitimate because I have not yet heard Nick's stylized opinion of them or seen them referenced as a comparison or alternative.

With any luck he's probably going to be rewarded financially from his videos and I hope he retains his "value" perspective as his hobby's proceeds begin to meet and exceed its expenses.

His knife gripes videos are great so far, but how many entertaining "gripes" can he conceive before he has to start unrealistically nitpicking or digging for things to complain about.

The Ugly
An analogy that seems to fit is Nick Shabazz is like having X-Ray vision. 99% of the time he's wildly entertaining, which is a "beautiful thing". 1% of the time his routine can be a bit distracting. Sometimes, I perceive a rhythmic pattern in his "shtick", where he over uses a phrase or uses a phrase in one context and then the exact phrase in another context, and it distracts me from the content. If he focuses on growing his repertoire of quips and "one liners", he can avoid repeating phrases and stale material.

The guy has no public face. If I was to see him a BladeShow, how would I be able to distinguish him from "some random jackass". Most editors traditionally post their picture with a few credentials after their articles. I think anonymity might hold him back a bit from breaking into real stardom...,but "what do I know?".

Conclusion
Finally, if you think I seem like a self righteous jerk for assuming that my opinion is worth the time it took you to read it, you'll understand what's so great and unique about Nick Shabazz. If he had wrote this, you'd have gained respect for his individual opinion, even if you disagree....which is why I think Nick Shabazz is a "Real Gem"

Thats great!!! LOL! :D

I'm a big fan of Nick. He happened to turn his knife hobby into something more by making videos. I get the impression he has a good job which he does not plan to quit, and is only making videos for enjoyment and to fuel his knife hobby. And along the way, he found he liked making videos and his fans enabled him to make more. We have all met a few funny characters in our lives and I am glad one of them is making videos about some of the things that interest me. Thanks Nick!

I enjoy the Nick Shabazz accent, reminds me of the car talk brothers some years back. :)

Good call! I can hear the humor and make the connection.

Because of this thread I started watching his videos and can't say I haven't enjoyed every one of them. He puts out great stuff:thumbup:

He is a very active Redditor, I have interacted with buying/selling/trading. I still appreciate his videos in spite of that interaction.
Would sharing that interaction here be a violation of forum rules? There is no personal info aside from his reddit username.

huh? is this just a ra- ra fan post for this youtuber guy or is their a transaction with him on buying selling or trading? you know good bad ugly on selling, buying and trading forum?

Ugh, I hate that guy. What a jackass!

(I kid, I kid. Most days.)

Thanks everybody, so much, for the kind words here. I appreciate all the feedback in the thread, as it's always good to see the good, bad, and ugly of your work through other eyes. The Car Talk comparison is really flattering, because I'm a long-time fan, and if I could be 1/16th as entertaining as those two, I could die a happy man.

I'm always working on improving my technical understanding, however slowly. And SilverDS, great review-review. The Rat1, 2 and Delica will stick around (as a fixed point of comparison so you can always compare knives across videos relative to those three), but I'll try to mix it up more! And I'm trying to do at least one folder under $60 per month, no matter my increasing insanity :)

Anyways, thanks so much, and thanks to the folks who've supported the channel as viewers, subscribers, loaner loaners, or patrons. I hope you keep enjoying (or successfully avoiding, your call) my ongoing work!

(I kid, I kid. Most days.)

Thanks everybody, so much, for the kind words here. I appreciate all the feedback in the thread, as it's always good to see the good, bad, and ugly of your work through other eyes. The Car Talk comparison is really flattering, because I'm a long-time fan, and if I could be 1/16th as entertaining as those two, I could die a happy man.

I'm always working on improving my technical understanding, however slowly. And SilverDS, great review-review. The Rat1, 2 and Delica will stick around (as a fixed point of comparison so you can always compare knives across videos relative to those three), but I'll try to mix it up more! And I'm trying to do at least one folder under $60 per month, no matter my increasing insanity :)

Anyways, thanks so much, and thanks to the folks who've supported the channel as viewers, subscribers, loaner loaners, or patrons. I hope you keep enjoying (or successfully avoiding, your call) my ongoing work!
Is it funny that as I am reading this I am hearing it in your voice in my head [emoji2]

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Nick seems like a really down to earth guy. I enjoy his videos as well. I as many of you do not agree with a lot of his opinions but he does make some interesting videos and I appreciate his contributions. Some of his videos are quite humorous as well.

(I kid, I kid. Most days.
Hey Nick! I just recently found your videos. Entertaining and informative. You're opinionated and you say so, which I appreciate. No issues with that. You're preferences are often close to my own, so your reviews are helpful in shaping what I may want to try. And you seem to have fun doing the reviews, which I also appreciate.

Question for you: Do you want loaners for reviews? I'm sure many people here (including me) would gladly loan you something to review. Let's know if so, what what the conditions are (ex: like-new condition only, need them for 4 weeks, etc.).

I'm a fan of accents and think Nick's is great. (I really likely trying to pinpoint a U.S. location based on the accent.)

Hey Nick! I just recently found your videos. Entertaining and informative. You're opinionated and you say so, which I appreciate. No issues with that. You're preferences are often close to my own, so your reviews are helpful in shaping what I may want to try. And you seem to have fun doing the reviews, which I also appreciate.

Question for you: Do you want loaners for reviews? I'm sure many people here (including me) would gladly loan you something to review. Let's know if so, what what the conditions are (ex: like-new condition only, need them for 4 weeks, etc.).

I'm a fan of accents and think Nick's is great. (I really likely trying to pinpoint a U.S. location based on the accent.)

Hah, thanks! I'm lucky enough to have a list of folks waiting to send loaners, but I'd love to check things out. If you shoot me an email (nicoloshabazz), we can discuss the (@gmail) conditions are and I can put you on the list :)

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Nick is the only YT reviewer of knives that I will watch. His opinions and metrics mostly match my own, as an office worker, and he isn't trying to show off or look like some kind of warrior/survivalist. He's got a sense of humor, and he cuts to the chase, usually. These reviews don't need to be longer than 15 minutes, usually, and he's good about that. He also like fountain pens, which is my other hobby.

My only complaint is the obsession with the Grimsmo Norseman. I get it. The engineering and design details are remarkable. Still, that might be the ugliest folder I've ever seen. The handle looks about as elegant as the silhouette of a turd, every example I've seen has colors that look more at home on a black light poster than a folding tool, the blade shape is visually heinous and practically unnecessary, and the striated lines on the blade look awful and unfinished. Even the name is stupid. There is nothing Norse about that goofy, mall-ninja blade shape.

...but I digress.

Nick Shabazz is the man. Huge thanks for all the reviews.

Nick,

I have to congratulate you on your upcoming project you announced yesterday.

I had to get my wife to watch it as well. :D

Nick,

I have to congratulate you on your upcoming project you announced yesterday.

I had to get my wife to watch it as well. :D
I just watched his audible project due to you mentioning it, OMG what a riot! that was really good and entertaining!!

Nick, Your Channel Is The Best :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I Really Enjoy Your Reviews :D:D:D

I would have to agree :)

The man I used to depend on seems to think 'his word is sharp' -er than the rest of ours. :eek:

Your wrong S_T......his word is sharp-er than everyone else's on the planet.
Arrogance personified.
Joe

Back