Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he is bad but I have a difficult time watching his as his voice is a bit rough to my ears I think generally he does a fairly good job some of the ways he presents things also annoys me but I do find I often agree or am willing to concede his points.

Which knife? He's saved me a few bucks too... Then again he's made me buy some damn good knives I need to win the lottery.
#nickshabazzmademebuyit
It was the Kizer Feist. I LOVE the design of that knife, it hit all my buttons: minimalist, framelock, titanium, small, flipper. But his review brought up some real QC issues that I would have been very angry/sad about if I had bought one. Supposedly, they are working on a new batch with such issues resolved, and if that's true, I'll be first in line to buy one!

I really like Nick's reviews. You can tell he is 100% honest in his reviews and he doesn't take himself to serious. He is giving HIS point of view on the knives and what HE likes and doesn't like about them. Nick and Jim (WalkingReviews) are my two favorite knife reviewers.

My main critiques of Nick Shabazz a is that maker logos seem to annoy him, and that he really dislikes it when a knife has a large handle relative to the blade. I often think larger handles allow for a better grip on a knife, and that is a beautiful thing!:p

Last edited:
1. I really like how Nick and I have similar sized hands

2. he tells things from a perspective that a city dweller with a desk job can relate to

3. I appreciate his fixation on slicing ability and action, because the two main functions of my knives in my life are peeling fruit and fidgeting

Nick's da man. Whenever I'm about to buy a knife I first look to see if he has a review. I don't always agree with him but he is thorough and detailed and points out things that I might overlook. I find him to be an invaluable resource. Plus I find him to be very entertaining. There's two people I'd love to have a beer with - William Shatner and Nick Shabazz.

Nick's da man. Whenever I'm about to buy a knife I first look to see if he has a review. I don't always agree with him but he is thorough and detailed and points out things that I might overlook. I find him to be an invaluable resource. Plus I find him to be very entertaining. There's two people I'd love to have a beer with - William Shatner and Nick Shabazz.

Great post and couldn't agree more.

I bought a Delica because he kept recommending it, and I friggin love it. Never would have guessed I'd ever buy a funny looking Spyderco let alone a FRN handled backlock one. But because of Nick I did and I don't regret it.

Now I'm scared to get a knife if it's not a gem!

I bought a Delica because he kept recommending it, and I friggin love it. Never would have guessed I'd ever buy a funny looking Spyderco let alone a FRN handled backlock one. But because of Nick I did and I don't regret it.

Now I'm scared to get a knife if it's not a gem!
Hah. Well, I'm glad you're loving your Delica (and thanks everybody for the kind words!) But remember, "Gem", like damned near everything I say, is completely and totally subjective. I like what I like, but one person's "gem" is another person's "junk". So, don't write anything off just because I'm not in love!

Hah. Well, I'm glad you're loving your Delica (and thanks everybody for the kind words!) But remember, "Gem", like damned near everything I say, is completely and totally subjective. I like what I like, but one person's "gem" is another person's "junk". So, don't write anything off just because I'm not in love!
This is why I can say I respect you regardless of how much I do or do not enjoy your videos.

I rarely take advice from Youtubers. Just because they have a camera and can upload does not make their opinion any more valid than anyone elses. I only watch these vids to look at a knife that I do not have access to.

I rarely take advice from Youtubers. Just because they have a camera and can upload does not make their opinion any more valid than anyone elses. I only watch these vids to look at a knife that I do not have access to.
I get what you are saying, I think, but I do feel their reviews are helpful they speak out on what they find positive and negative about a product and I just listen to see if those resonate with my views on the product and how I intend to use it.

I have come to realize I have a certain size range I really like in fixed blades and folders. I watch Nick's videos about every knife I think I might like and find we have very similar tastes. I bought the ZT 0450 based on his review and found it to be a great flipper too. Keep up the good work Nick!

I'm subscribed and tend to watch most of his posts - including the wristwatch videos. Would be fun to see a collaborative project with The Urban Gentry.

His latest review on the ZT0920 was entertaining, informative, fair, and accurate IMO. His content is evolving, becoming better over time.

FPS Russia had the accent working. That was a great channel. Not defending Nick, just a similar point of reference.

Reading over what he's thoughtfully posted in this thread only reinforces my impression. Reading his written word with the accent running in my mind put a smile on my face. The persona is entertaining.

I value the time and effort he takes on the channel, as well as his opinion.

Me too.

I find Nick to give good reviews most of the time. A big plus for me is the fact he does more than open a box, say how great the knife is and how he loves it. I also find it refreshing that he does not make knife destruction the goal of a review.

I also find that we have some common views when it comes to likes and dislikes of knife design but, I will never understand his love for metal scales on beefy knives. His reviews helped me become much more critical about what knife I will spend money on. Thanks, Nick.

The substance of his videos isn't bad, in fact it's pretty good...he just needs to hire a narrator.

Maybe Morgan Freeman for gentlemans folders and Liam Neeson for tactical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back