Some WIP pics...

manghu67

American Kami Custom Blades / Knifemaker
Here's a shot from Friday of some of the stuff that's going with me to Vegas. Provided I get it all finished in time. :eek:

Hope you guys enjoy.

g5wip23aug2013.JPG

Looks like a great start! And just curious, are you ever going to use another steel other than the 10XX?

Annnnd, you need to have a sale! :D For broke people like Lycosa :D

The only 10XX steel that I use is 1095.

I also use 5160 and O1 for full customs.

Midtech stuff is currently in S7 or CPM S35VN.

Thanks buddy, glad you like the stuff.

Looks like a great start! And just curious, are you ever going to use another steel other than the 10XX?

Annnnd, you need to have a sale! :D For broke people like Lycosa :D

Ah well, when I visit your site and click the fixed blades, axes, folder, or swords.. the only steel listed is 1095, save for ONE sword in 5160... I haven't seen any other steel mentioned... Never seen your stuff in S7 or S35VN...

Got any links? Thanks!

sloth- I had a T5N and yes... sold it.
I told DJ that I'll be back for another American Kami knife and I will.

Since it appears DJ is gearing up for a show, figured I would throw this pic up here that he posted on his Facebook.

558027_656523571032284_1185562528_n.jpg

Tasty. My question is which photo is more accurate.. I assume the photos in post #9 are closest? The photo where they are all silver shiny...???

SO it's a colubris folder?? Love the blade shape.. What's the price tag? Steel type?? Those look midtech to full custom.. Which? Thanks! GL at the show.. Oh and will these be available for sale elsewhere?

How in the heck did I miss that you are doing folders! Please, can we get some more info?

The pictures were posted in the same order he posted them on his Facebook. I can't say for certain but I am pretty confident that the shiny ones proceeded through steps to become the ones in the last pic. I could be wrong however, but I'm like 85% sure I'm not. I know he is hard pressed to get finished up for a show in Vegas, and if is the USN gathering then he is probably pretty covered up at the moment. No worries though, he will show up and let everyone know what is going on. He's good people. And he's more than happy to take your money. ;)

And I think this is the last pic because he is headed off to Vegas.

1157409_657567987594509_83448828_n.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like these.

Sorry for the delayed response, just got back from the Vegas show.

sloth357: The finished knives are in the pic in Derek's immediately previous post. Yep, it's as close at humanly possible to being a line for line conversion from the OG Colubris. Had to shrink the blade down from 4" to 3.75" to fit the handles. Other than that, the shape and all of the ergos are exactly the same.

Specs:

CPM S35VN, RC60, tumbled over oxide.

Full 6/4 Ti frame, standoffs, stop pin, and clip (actually, clips on these six are Mokuti, but I didn't have time to refinish and torch). Tumbled finish and bronze ano.

All polished stainless hardware.

V-ground.

Frames are 3/16" thick.

Lockbar is 0.080" thick. VERY strong locks on these. Not for the meek.

Excellent detents. Clean, snappy break. No blade wobble. Sucks closed with a satisfying "clunk."

OAL 8.4".

Blade 3.75".

If you want one of these, the only ones available on the market right now are the harpoon spanto and recurve, which Julie over at Arizona Custom Knives snatched up first thing at the show. http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/American-Kami.aspx She doesn't have them posted on the site yet, but she's got them. Give her a shout and she'll take good care of you.

I'll post some more detailed pics of one of the finished knives later in the week.

Back