Something for me, I wound up with an extra Trail Hiker blank so..........

A friend an fellow knife maker gave me a block of stabilized spalted dogwood! I have had it around the shop for about two years waiting for just the rite knife. It turns out that knife is a Trail Hiker in 3/32 CPM-154 with a hight flat grind and a micro bevel.

View attachment 569016

Wow that is awesome! Sounds like a candid for your next trip to the Amazon! That will be a Light Saber being that thin and Flat Grind!

Do you think you would have the same problem with something like this like you did with the scandis' and the such hard wood from the trip before?

Good question! if it wear a full flat grind then yes that is one of the reason I have started using a micro bevel. A micro bevel is a trick I learned back in my furniture making days. it is secondary bevel that is some time just a few degrees deferent then then the primary grind, on this knife i think it is 3/32" hight but it helps make the edge more robust as well as making sharpening much easer and faster. I will get some pictures with it hight lighted so y'all can see.

Last edited:
Back