Song Sung BLUE: Blue-handled Traditional Knives

My Ranchero with blue mammoth tooth:

kY6nj3d.jpg

Used the leftovers for spacers on this one (Tapadero) with stag.

8zmqMKv.jpg

Those knives are works of art!

Thanks all! Here is another in its Slotted sheath. Blue jigged bone this time.

K2BFQHX.jpg

More blue mammoth tooth:

aZRpwcs.jpg

This one has an engraved bolster that uses the mosaic pins in the bolster as the flower centers of the engraving:

9kIT0H2.jpg

And its flower carved Pancake sheath:

2juhWhj.jpg

Well I only have a humble entry to the thread guys and gals - but it has a kinda cool story to go along with it.

Somehow I've become known as 'The Knife Guy' among my extended circle of friends - don't ask me why :D:rolleyes:, and you Porch People will understand that I don't entirely object to it, because it means I sometimes get some fascinating traditionals and family heirlooms dredged up and brought to me for refurbishing or retirement.

A few years ago, I was enjoying showing some good friends one of the forest walks in my local area one day, when one of them got a phone call. Now Cam, my friend, is a shipwright by trade and also plays fiddle in at least three bands that I know of, including an Appalachian influenced Old Timey band, so when he said he had to take off to drop in on an old bandmate and banjo luthier, I was kinda disappointed at losin' the good company, but said I understood.

He said, 'No Steve wants to know if you can drop in as well?'

So I said, 'No worries', but this story was becoming stranger by the minute. He said 'Steve' had some old blades that he was giving away - I assumed Cam would be the beneficiary.

So anyway, we visited Steve and enjoyed looking at some of his beautiful handmade banjos and some of the ones in his collection from 1920s America and the story started to unspool.

Steve, a Chippy (Carpenter) by trade had been one of the Aussies conscripted and who fought with distinction as a 'Pig (M60) Gunner' with the 6th RAR (Royal Australian Regiment) in Vietnam. I think he had somehow heard of me, and further took a liking to me during our conversation, as he kept bringing out a beautiful array of old knives and when our visit was done he said - 'They're all yours mate. I'd rather they go to someone who appreciates them, than to my family to be flogged off on ebay.'

I was staggered. A number of them had come from the 'Sharps Bin' at Dili airport during the Australian led Interfet UN action there in 1999-2000. Steve had been volunteering in the community and had access to pick over some of the good stuff to recondition and sharpen and give to the Timorese, who were in dire need of good cutting tools and kitchen knives.

Some of the other stuff - everyday EDC tools from the people who had passed through that airport in those days ended up in my collection - this blue handled SAK, a beautiful Nepalese Kukhri, a busted backspringed ol' Barlow knife, a worn out black patina'd Schrade 8OT that looked like it had been sharpened for years on a rock, a hand made Balinese Kris, a well loved Camillus TL-29...

I repaid the debt by honing and reconditioning my new mates banjo luthier tools.

And so that's the story of the blue SAK Climber, inscribed 'M.Z.' (perhaps one of Ol' Earl's buddies, I like to imagine :p) that sits in one of my backpacks along with the red Recruit that lives in another daypack, which was a 23rd birthday present from my brothers.

Some of those knives from that day have been posted here in various threads, but this is the first time I've told the story that, in researching the TL-29 and the Schrade 8OT, brought me to Carl's wonderful 'Jackknife Tales', and back to Traditional patterns in general, and now to be sittin' here on the Porch as we speak...

Last edited:
Great story, Cambertree, and a good-looking knife, as well! Mystery initials on old knives are always fun. :D

... And so that's the story of the blue SAK Climber, inscribed 'M.Z.' (perhaps one of Ol' Earl's buddies, I like to imagine :p) that sits in one of my backpacks along with the red Recruit that lives in another daypack, which was a 23rd birthday present from my brothers.

This is great! Thanks for telling us the story. :)

I have to say, ever since seeing EARL, and all the more after meeting EARL in person...

IMG_1529.jpg~original

...and admiring how exquisitely his moniker is chiseled (in fine, beveled strokes)...

IMG_1534.jpg

...I've been very sorely tempted to somehow carve my initials or moniker into one of my own knives.

(I have a long and illustrious history of applying my name/initials to Whatevs, from the time I could 'scribe. :D)

I shall refrain, because 1) I'd no doubt botch it badly, and incur regrets 2) with the dawn of teh internets, there's so little room left for Mystery. Instead of others pondering, a century or so from now, "I wonder whose this was, and what these initials signify in terms of care/possession/importance," everyone would be very specifically all,

"Dang, I wish Pertinux hadn't mucked up this knife." :D

~ P.

Schrade made this Blue Bone set, about 2002-3.
medium

This Schrade ACB8 with Blue Rope-cut bone, was due to be sold in mid 2004. They never made it, to production.
medium

Last edited:
Hard to tell in the light but it's blue. A gift from fellow Christian rredden.

This is great! Thanks for telling us the story. :)

I have to say, ever since seeing EARL, and all the more after meeting EARL in person, and admiring how exquisitely his moniker is chiseled (in fine, beveled strokes)...

IMG_1534.jpg

...I've been very sorely tempted to somehow carve my initials or moniker into one of my own knives.

(I have a long and illustrious history of applying my name/initials to Whatevs, from the time I could 'scribe. :D)

I shall refrain, because 1) I'd no doubt botch it badly, and incur regrets 2) with the dawn of teh internets, there's so little room left for Mystery. Instead of others pondering, a century or so from now, "I wonder whose this was, and what these initials signify in terms of care/possession/importance," everyone would be very specifically all,

"Dang, I wish Pertinux hadn't mucked up this knife." :D

~ P.

Glad you liked it, thanks P.

Ha, funny you mention that, as just the other day, I was thinking of that whole engraving your name or initials into your knife thing.

What prompted me was actually some of those superb old stylised bolster monograms in the Barlow thread.

I got to thinking it would be nice to have something unique and similar on one of my GEC shields, like that diamond Washington Jack shield.

I even thought of starting a 'What have you engraved on your shields?' thread, but after looking over a lot of Porch knives, it's evident most leave them a blank slate.

Then, like you I thought I wouldn't trust myself to do it, nor would I want some fool at the mall selling $5 iphone covers who happens to also own an vibro-etch pen going anywhere near my knives either.

Then, while reading your post I had a lightbulb moment! There's a young woman who does superb custom engraving usually at the Australian Knifemakers Guild show - I'll ask her if she could do it next time.

Here's her monogram (hope you don't mind, Danae) -

Now I just need to design my own cool monogram-hieroglyph.

Hope I'm not traipsing too far off topic, but check out these samples too from an old knife catalogue.

I can just see sample number 9 with an enigmatic '~P' for future owners to puzzle over!

Last edited:
This Schrade ACB8 with Blue Rope-cut bone, was due to be sold in mid 2004. They never made it, to production.
medium

Well... that's sad!

King fisher Blue/orange.
2af9x6s.jpg

Wow, I really like that blue-on-orange effect. :thumbup:

...while reading your post I had a lightbulb moment! There's a young woman who does superb custom engraving usually at the Australian Knifemakers Guild show - I'll ask her if she could do it next time.

Here's her monogram (hope you don't mind, Danae) -

Now I just need to design my own cool monogram-hieroglyph.

Hope I'm not traipsing too far off topic, but check out these samples too from and old knife catalogue.

I can just see sample number 9 with an enigmatic '~P' for future owners to puzzle over!

Very cool-- thanks! Actually, Sample #9 would do very fine, as-is-- though I would prefer the style of Danae's "D". ;)

Back to the Blue:
IMG_3498.jpg~original

:)

~ P.

Back to the Blue:
~ P.

Ah, yes right - of course!

Your beautiful examples koldgold and SVTFreak, reminded me that I have another blue handled traditional - I have a soft spot for the Case 6318. Lovely lines on it, both open and closed.

I hope the Pingo's not sailing too close to the wind for the Trad forum, but I figure if custom, carbon fibre, shadow patterns can pass muster here, it might be ok. It is a slip joint, with a carbon tool steel blade and an interesting handle ancestry harking back to those pistol grip clasp knives and gullies of the 17th and 18th centuries...

Your pics made me smile, P.

One of my friends used to have a male Rottweiler about the size of a small Shetland pony, who used to have a similar jacket with saddlebags on each side, so he could carry his own dogfood back from the shops.

I reckon your wee mate might be able to pack another couple of traditionals somewhere in that harness!

And Pt-Luso - That blue alox scale colour is just stunning! Not such a fan of the orange, but I'll be looking out for a blue Farmer or Electrician now!

Alas, pertinux... The search for something blue has lead me to more red knives. Perhaps we just need a red knife thread to answer your blues.

Ah, yes right - of course!
I hope the Pingo's not sailing too close to the wind for the Trad forum,

It is, but for today we'll ignore the fact that it has a clip on the flip side.

It is, but for today we'll ignore the fact that it has a clip on the flip side.

My apologies Frank. Heh, I considered taking the clip off for the pic, but then thought if it was flipped over it might pass. Shoulda known that wouldn't get past your X-ray vision! :p:eek:

Consider me suitably chastened...:thumbup:

Back