Sorry, I'm not going to Friend you on Facebook.

Facebook is the elephant in the room of the internet. I don't have an account, Facebook is about losing one's privacy to marketers and other various parasites prying into information. I sometimes post comments on online newspapers, but lately many newspapers are closing their own commentary sections and merging with Facebook. One newspaper editor told me the reason they are doing so is to reduce negative posts to improve online civility by making people use their real names instead of a screen name.

However, Facebook and others have many accounts that are not under real names, and comments are not any better. Narcissism is common on social media and often drives it which is one reason I don't waste time there.

Narcissism is common on social media and often drives it which is one reason I don't waste time there.

Agreed 100%. People come up with excuses as to why they are on there like "I want to stay connected with friends and family". Look, if you really cared you would make a phone call or actually visit. Connecting with long forgotten friends is ridiculous. They ARENT your friends if you forgot them or lost contact. Everyone wants to be friends with everyone now. We are hording people now.
The real reason why most people are on there is narcissism. We think people really care what we are doing 24 hrs a day. We think everyone wants to see pics of us doing mundane things. We want to show off what we had for dinner. We want to show off that we went on a vacation. We get off on people "liking" our things. I remember seeing a funny meme that said, "if I go to the gym and don't post about it, did I actually work out?" Unfortunately that's a real mentality. I think Facebook is mentally unhealthy for most people.

Hold the keyboard, you mean people who are strictly pixelly platonic might not be true friends that care about us after all? :confused: :eek: How do we "unlike" reality to let it know how rude that is? Oh, that's right, that harsh bastidge reality is to be found nowhere on a screen yet too often is only impersonally and poorly imitated on one! My real friends have all heard "Hold my knife and chop this!"... now that's real fun with friends!

[video=youtube;EfnKmPQdapw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnKmPQdapw[/video]

Facebook is the elephant in the room of the internet. I don't have an account, Facebook is about losing one's privacy to marketers and other various parasites prying into information.

I hope you don't use Google to search things, then.

Back