Source for flat cord for Japanese style wrap?

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
It looks like I have run out of the flat lace that I use for my Japanese style knives, and the manufacturer has apparently gone out of business. :(

I've spent several hours trying to locate similar lace with no luck. Most of the lace I've seen either has a very poor weave or has too much stretch. I'm specifically looking for synthetic lace rather than cotton. It can either be flat or a hollow/flat weave. I would like to find something in small, medium and large widths.

If anyone has a source for quality lace, I'd appreciate it.

Fred Lohman in Oregon has all sorts of things you might like. Menuki, wrap, ray skin, you name it. I got my stuff there for my katana.

did you check out knife kits?
They list some cord under "japanese style lace cord"

did you check out knife kits?
They list some cord under "japanese style lace cord"

I've actually used that cord before. It's OK, but it isn't very wide. It's OK for narrow blades though.

3/8" or 5/16" width cord seems to be the sweet spot for most of the knives I make. 1/2" is good for large blades.

The loacing material is called "ito" or tsuka-ito. It is usually silk, but you can buy it in cotton and leather as well. 10mm width is the norm.
Google Ito sword wrap and you will get a lot of sources. Ebay has it too. Lots of the sources are "synthetic" silk ito ... which is usually rayon.

Fred Loman is a good source for quality silk ito. It is listed as Silk Tsuka Ito.

If you are on a budget, you can pull the core out of paracord and use it for tsuka-maki for a similar look.

Some things that will help:
The wrappinng proicedure is called tsuka-maki - handle wrapping. Many books have extensive detais. Online tutorials are also good.

Make a wrapping stand of some sort.

Walter Sorrell's videos are worth every penny if you want to learn to do japanese swords and fittings right. I recoment the whole set.

I haven't ordered from them in a while, but Shadows of Leaves used to be a great source for info and supplies.

That sucks!!! I will be on the look out and let you know... you told me about the original site and I have always used them but need more. ...we are looking for the really good stuff!!! :D (just being silly but wow this cord was good!)

That sucks!!! I will be on the look out and let you know... you told me about the original site and I have always used them but need more. lol for those providing links we are looking for the really good stuff!!! :D

I have a couple of leads, and have ordered some samples to test.

I'll let you know if I find a suitable replacement.

I really wished I had purchased a thousand yards of the good cord!

Walter Sorrell's videos are worth every penny if you want to learn to do japanese swords and fittings right. I recoment the whole set.

I've had my eye on those for years. I might have to buy a set one day.

As for the cord, I'm more looking for a modern synthetic cord; think of high quality shoelace. :)

This is the lace I'm trying to match:

20180726_121832.jpg

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I've just been using the shoelace made by "Kiwi" that I get from Walmart. They only have black (AFAIK), but it worked nicely for me. I just measured some I have in a package right in from of me and it's 5/16" wide. I can't compare with the bulk prices, but it's cheap enough for me for how often I use it.

I do need a bit more practice on my tsukamaki technique, I've just done them to few and far between to get a develop a good rhythm.

Here's a pic of it on the last time I wrapped a handle:

Just an FYI: That darn ray skin I used has fairly brittle nodes which is why you see some that look a bit dull, because their tops broke off. The next time I cut off a couple pieces for a handle I'm gonna cover the top with some extra thin super glue before I begin wrapping. This one being the first time I used ray skin, I also fiddled with it way too much, but nonetheless, I'm buying from that place again. lol

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Last edited:
You could pull the guts out of some paracord and see how that would look when it lays flat. I have done a couple knives like that and like the way they look. May not be what you’re looking for though.

Back