SouthWest Khukri Khonvention (SWKK)

To those of you who participated at the SWKK... How about talking a bit about the cutting done with various HI khukuris and swords? Looks like it was a lot of fun! :cool:

Thanks Jim! Great pics...

As for cutting...

Best Edge Award - HI Cherokee Rose
Best Pure Slicer - Paul Chen Practical Katana
Best Armored Slicer - HI Hand and a Half Katana
Most Wicked - HI Katar
Winner of the "I Want Next" Award - HI Katar
Best Blunt Trauma - the Hammer

Seriously...properly sharpened, any except the hammer will slice and dice. It all comes down to *how* you sharpen them for their intended purpose.

While the Paul Chen won the best pure slicer, it has a markedly thinner profile than the HI Katanas. The HI's are heavier, thicker and undoubtly would take much more abuse in actual use. The best comparison I can think of is if we were to compare a Rose to an HI AK Bowie. Very similar, but different enough to justify having both.

Everyone seemed to appreciate the Katar...we really do need to look at getting some made after the dust settles with HI. They would be perfect for those late night walk in the park, down city streets or in Zombie infected areas.

Good looking bunch of people! Dang makes me want to have a wyoming Khon..

But I think I'd be the only one here...HA!

A Knon of One!

If I get mad cause nobody showed...would it be the

The Wrath of Khon!?!

Great to see all you good folks.

SHane

Awesome!!
I have been drooling over the HI Katana, must get one..must get one..must get one..

Alfred

I am Alfred Coyote Crosses form the Queche Nation.
Offering the Pipe to the Directions.
May the Spirits give their strenght, Peace and Blessings.

Till we meet,

+Coyote+

Finally at work on break I can view the photos. Great pics Nasty!!!!

I love the ones of the cutting the jugs! Everyone's expression is priceless!

HI should maybe even use a few of them on the site! :)

Yep, that's a great looking bunch. I think even Gin is taller than me! :rolleyes: Glad you all had a good time!

And Gin, your daughter looks like a sweetheart! She seemed to genuinely enjoy all of the old farts. :D

Way to go folks.

Steve

ferguson said:
And Gin, your daughter looks like a sweetheart! She seemed to genuinely enjoy all of the old farts. :D

Steve

I thought she looked the most badass swinging the sword with the black clothing and chains

ferguson said:

She enjoyed it so much that I"m looking at having to make the trip to Nasty's for the MWKK. BTW....we never tried out the Napolean sword. Guess I'll bring that for the next round of zombie killing practice. :D

Shane, AC studios lives in Buffalo. I could make it to Wyoming. Maybe Raghorn could come down from the smokestack of Idaho.

That's four. Anyone else live in the North West Rockies?

heck, Heber's in Salt Lake area- he could crest the divide and cruise in maybe.

munk

Wow!! Looks like you all had lots of fun! :D One of these days I'll make it to a get together. Awesome action shots, thanks for sharing.

Was in Mesa 6 years ago for a family reunion. The scenory looks family. Nice place. :)

Munk, Give me a time and place and I'll try to be there.... Asuming I can get out of debt quickly.;)

Heber

Thanks for all the great pics Nasty; you must have one hell of a memory card in that thing! I just took a few pics that I'll post here.

(I just have one question: who is that huge fat bast%$d in the red shirt? Not me? Gawd...!)

Anyway, just wanted to second everyone's comments. Gin and Karen were wonderful hostesses, and their place was great as was the weather. It was great to meet Dave and Jim and Nasty and put a face to Foxjaw, and of course Yvsa (and the oft-mentioned Barb), who gave me some cool bragging rights by going slowly to show us how it is done and putting an absolutely killer edge on my Cherokee Rose. He also played the flute for us as Nasty mentioned, and I think my next acquisition will hopefully be one of the cedar flutes he was playing.

The cutting games were fun, and it was only when I was packing that I kicked myself for not trying out my Tarwar and a 25" Chitlangi and Malla that were there, but we had plenty of toys anyway. Karen is the proud owner of the most beautiful chiruwa handled TWO-HAND carved horn katana (technically a hand-and-a-half I guess, but I have big hands and holding it with both I still had 3-4" of handle to play with!), with a beautiful curve to the blade. I have never seen one like it at all, although I haven't even been here 18 months yet so some of you old timers may have. I have a kothimoda katana that is not nearly as well done as this sword, and she had it in a red leather sheath that is also better done than anything I have seen as well. A real Bura masterpiece. Despite my repeated and numerous hints, she REFUSED to give it to me, (or even sell it to me for a huge price), so maybe Gin can talk some sense into her. :D

Foxjaw (Brett) brought along a bag of khuks AND his original FF, and I brought the new "mistake" model that is about 22" long and 29 oz. for comparison. Jim showed us all his custom leather and several Tora khuks he had, as well as a custom kerambit he had made for him based on the HI model in a quick draw kydex sheath. He also had several fast draw kydex sheaths for some of his khuks that were neat. Jim also brought along his Delta belt sander and we got lessons on that from Nasty and Yvsa.

Yvsa brought a bag with a bunch of sharpening equipment, and it was a real education watching him sharpen knives. I am trying to duplicate the edge he put on my Cherokee rose with an old khuk I have and will see how it goes.

Dave's Katar was mouth wateringly cool, and razor sharp, and his Chen Katana was the king of the cutting. Nasty used it to slice through a milk jug, and then came around with a reverse cut on the same swing and sliced the box holding the jug in half as well! Oh, I DID finally get a 17" BGRS Villager in wood, which is very sharp and well-done, so consider myself very lucky as there was only one.

I had promised my brother that I would see him in Las Vegas Sunday night, so had to leave Sunday morning so missed more of Gin's great cooking. She just fed us old scraps on Saturday, so it sounds like she saved the good stuff for Sunday from what Yvsa said! ;) (OOps! Read it again, and it was Barbie's cooking on Sunday that I missed. Really, Gin outdid herself with homemade cinnamon rolls and BBQ'd sausage for breakfast, fresh homemade lemonade during the day and a great chile verde dinner. There wasn't much left afterwards!)

I hope if it does happen next year I'll be able to go again. My head is buzzing from stuff I learned, and between everyone I felt like I was surrounded by khuk experts. It was also neat to watch a video Gin had from the old Ghurka House about the making of a khuk, and there were a few eye-openers there as well. 1626 miles total in 24 hours of driving over the 4 day trip, but it was worth it!

I'm still trying to figure out who that strange fat guy is (sigh), but anyway, here are the few pics I took, which are pretty much just dupes of different angles of Nasty's shots. My ignorance of the camera is showing, because I had at least a half-dozen more shots that I lost somehow when downloading to the computer. Luckily, Nasty got the same shots of Yvsa and others, so no big loss.

BTW, I was VERY dissapointed to see that Dan had a boatload of knives for sale on Saturday, including the elusive horn kerambit and walnut JKM's I have been looking for, and you guys ignored my email about waiting and sharked them all up! I hope you are ashamed of yourselves...!

Regards,

Norm

P.S. Yiterp was going to drive down from Arizona City but called on Saturday and said he got stuck working and couldn't make it! Too bad, as I was looking forward to meeting him in person. Next year Wyatt!

I just have one question: who is that huge fat bast%$d in the red shirt? Not me? Gawd...!)
BTW, I was VERY dissapointed to see that Dan had a boatload of knives for sale on Saturday, including the elusive horn kerambit and walnut JKM's I have been looking for, and you guys ignored my email about waiting and sharked them all up! I hope you are ashamed of yourselves...!>>>>>>>> Swastar

Apparently you were unable to instill either sufficient fear or respect in us.

You know those JKM's went begging for a few hours too?

munk

WOW!! :eek: :D
It loooks like you all had a great time. Nasty, Thanks for all of those great shots. I enjoyed the first 87 shots as well as the rest. Living in Maine, it is nice to see other areas of the country again. I have not traveled the country since I was in the Corps back in 74. I would like to go out and attend some of these events some day, and meet all of you great people in person. It looks like it was an awesome event. Someday maybe, for now thanks for sharing all of your great memories with those of us that could not attend!!

Thanks for sharing pics and experiences. Sorry I could not be there. Hope to have a report from Blade a month from now.

hdwrlover said:
Thanks for sharing pics and experiences. Sorry I could not be there. Hope to have a report from Blade a month from now.

Make sure you go and harass Pen. He's at table 8-Q but don't tell him who you are until you've thouroughly annoyed him. :D
;) :rolleyes:

BruiseLeee said:
Make sure you go and harass Pen. He's at table 8-Q but don't tell him who you are until you've thouroughly annoyed him. :D
;) :rolleyes:

*Or* until you invited to the dinner with the rest of the hob-nobs...

I almost forgot...

I got a beautiful stag Mala...been wanting a Mala for a long time, this one hard to find its way to me I guess. It is a twin to the one Svashtar stole...er...I mean got lucky to snag a little while ago.

I'd post a report on it, but it is in the box with the for sale blades on it's way from AZ.

More later when it gets here!

Back