SP-53.....dolled up?

Crag the Brewer

I make Nice, boring knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello....First time posting here! :D
I've looked around first, but didn't see this?

Does anyone have any pics of a stripped SP-53?
I'm really thinking about entering the OKC world, normally I'm using Becker's....... This blade looks like it Speaks to Me...haha

*Also I'd love to see a nice leather sheath for it, or a vender, or something?
I'm looking forward to this knife.
Thank You!!!!

I dont but I have a sp53 and it's a beast. I did strip an Ontario kukri and put a vinegar patina on it 5 years ago. It's still going strong

I dont but I have a sp53 and it's a beast. I did strip an Ontario kukri and put a vinegar patina on it 5 years ago. It's still going strong

Thanks.. It really does look like a beast!
For as popular as it seems (everyone loves them) I'm surprised I'm not seeing ANY leather Anywhere???
I'm just used to Beckers getting all the love... :/

Ontario knives like these are more basic tools than becker knives. They excell at what they are designed for but they do it with less frills.

I own both and I tend to treat my Beckers more gently. I have more time and $ in those

My Ontarios just plain work.

I've got a couple of SP-53's and had planned on doing that to one, just haven't got to it yet.

I'm going to, just gotta get off my ass and get it done... or at least send it out and have it done :D

No!!!!!
It's so easy! Do it yourself.
Seriously, I do it the seconds after I first get my knives!

I don't even feel guilty!

No!!!!!
It's so easy! Do it yourself.
Seriously, I do it the seconds after I first get my knives!

I don't even feel guilty!
LOL

I'm not going to feel guilty either way as long as it gets done :D

What even got me to thinking about this was a couple of months ago I ordered two of the SP- 53's. The one looks pretty good but the other one looks like :poop:, the tip is ground to one side... quite noticeable, but the sharpening job has to be quite honestly the worst I've ever saw on a Ontario knife. Whoever sharpened this couldn't have cared less what they were doing... it's pathetic.

LOL

I'm not going to feel guilty either way as long as it gets done :D

What even got me to thinking about this was a couple of months ago I ordered two of the SP- 53's. The one looks pretty good but the other one looks like :poop:, the tip is ground to one side... quite noticeable, but the sharpening job has to be quite honestly the worst I've ever saw on a Ontario knife. Whoever sharpened this couldn't have cared less what they were doing... it's pathetic.

I hope Mine won't look like That!
Ugh....sorry

This is what I have used to strip Ka- bars and Becker's....

It sends them crying to their Momma...

santander bank hours near me

I use a cheap crappy cheese knife I got as gift for actually scraping off the sludge.

I use aircraft stripper. Wear gloves and use in well ventilated area.

No coating holds up to that.

c2MXTME

I haven't stripped mine. I thought about it, but I use mine a lot and it's a little easier to maintain with the coating i guess. I did fix an offset bevel, convexed the edge, and ground in a larger choil. I love the thing, and for 40-50 it's an unbelievable value. Highly underrated for sure. It hit's super hard, the bolo shape is great for chopping and splitting, the rat tail tang in the rubbery handle is secure but doesnt carry the shockwaves as you blast through wood, and that 1/4" 5160 is so far indestructible. Enjoy
http://imgur.com/gallery/c2MXTME

Go for it. Get a steel guard like the one used in the sp10, and decide how you want to fix Dow the upper half. It will turn out delightful (or your money back). Strip it safely indoors using citrustrip or outdoors using jasco. There are plenty of pics online, and good luck!!

I'm going to, just gotta get off my ass and get it done... or at least send it out and have it done :D

Get a quart of citrustrip it’s like $15 delivered and will do many knives. I’ve already done several busse, kabar and Ontario blades and still have plenty left. The good thing is that you don’t have to open a window or worry about getting burns—sometimes I wear plastic gloves, sometimes just paper towels. Let it soak for 45 minutes in tin foil then scrape off with steel wool or knife. It’s a lot safer than chemical paint strippers and just as effective if the amount of time (sitting) is increased. Worth it if you consider the lost risk of burns or disposal.

c2MXTME

I haven't stripped mine. I thought about it, but I use mine a lot and it's a little easier to maintain with the coating i guess. I did fix an offset bevel, convexed the edge, and ground in a larger choil. I love the thing, and for 40-50 it's an unbelievable value. Highly underrated for sure. It hit's super hard, the bolo shape is great for chopping and splitting, the rat tail tang in the rubbery handle is secure but doesnt carry the shockwaves as you blast through wood, and that 1/4" 5160 is so far indestructible. Enjoy
http://imgur.com/gallery/c2MXTME

I couldn’t believe the same website which had the sp53 for $40 still has the sp50 for $70. There’s a lot more steel in the sp53. In any case the sp53 sold out; not sure if they will get anymore, since it was listed as clearance.

Back