SP50 Discountinued?

Hello I was just wondering if anyone knew if the Ontario SP50 Spear Point has been discontinued?

Thanks.

I haven't saw anything about it being discontinued.

It's still available and for sale from numerous dealers, OKC lists it for sale on their website as well.

On a related note... It sure does seem that OKC's SP series has seen a whole lot of different models come and go. I wonder if now the discontinued models outnumber their current active ones.
I kind'a kick myself for not having started my SP buying many years sooner. They were not knives that I'd see in the stores I used to frequent, and their pics in the old 'Shotgun News' ads were more of black silhouettes than real pics, and they just did not catch my attention. Back in the day, (I was born in 1965), the Ontario name threw me off, (my being a dummy and thinking Canada). I think many folks may not admit to that, but were guilty of the 'Ontario' name confusion thing too.
My first real hands on 'Ontario' product, was while I was at a Bass Pro Shop a few years ago and saw an Ontario SP-10 Marine Raider Bowie in their display case. I asked if I could handle it, and when I did, l thought to myself... "Wow, this thing is bad *ss!"... It became my very first OKC product. Fast forward to today, and in those few short years, I've added about 20 OKC fixed blade products to my "Man Gadget Collection". I feel so much like a dummy for not having caught onto OKC earlier! The secondary market can offer new/unused discontinued OKC products, but the prices are usually more than what I'm willing to pay. What did I miss out on?... Well, again, much of OKC's SP series product line is now way of the DoDo Bird, (extinct), but my biggest feel of loss, is missing out on the Ontario/Bagwell Bowie collaboration knives. Oh well, sorry about this corny posting, I just had to share my regrets, lol! ;)

Oh, and a side story related to my regret posting.... A few years ago, I actually ran into an online blade dealer, (a very known and reputable vendor), that had gotten a hold of a small batch of the Ontario/Bagwell Bowie knives (new old stock). Their prices were not out of line at all, so I jumped on the opportunity to get one. I placed my order, only to then get a call from them the next day, telling me that they sold out quickly, and I did not get in on the deal. They were nice about it and all, but I was totally bummed that they sold out before my order was made. I mean, they surely tried to keep their online inventory stats up to date, but this small batch of Ontario/Bagwell knives flew out the door quicker than they could update their system.
Darn it!

Last edited:
not to derail the op's post too much further, but Ontario, Canada is a pretty darn good place to be. so long as you don't mind insane taxes. oh and Toronto. and Hamilton....

Not yet; they are often on sale way below prices 2 years ago.The guard is from an sp10. 2E2CEE51-1E41-4CAC-B2B6-B1F120DA437C.jpeg

It looks "well used", looks like a great up grade there Yonose! That SP-50 you got is a keeper!

Sp-50s for some reason are kept in production and the SP-51 was sun setted.

It looks "well used", looks like a great up grade there Yonose! That SP-50 you got is a keeper!

Sp-50s for some reason are kept in production and the SP-51 was sun setted.

I wanted to do the sp51 the same way, but I only have 1 unused one left; I’ll sell my sp51 once I get around to it. I kept the sp50 as my camp knife. Thanks for the compliments on the mod, Tooj said he’d send the guards out if I needed a few. They fit perfect on the sp50 without any filing/milling, so it was super easy—it stuck before putting the epoxy down— and the 51 has the same tang, so I assume it would go well on that one as well. I really wish either the sp51 would come back or that it would join the woodsman in the bushcraft series. I think that their HT on 5160 really sets them apart from their neighbor in NY. It’s basically unbreakable. There were a few times my rtak2 got bent pretty good around a knot on a hard maple log, but it went right back to straight after removing it.
What I really want, though is a 12” bladed high sabre grind woodsman (preferably with micarta). I know dan could do it,while kabar can’t (not with 1095). That could be the “only knife” for me, along with a few small skinner and gp knives, and my 2 1/2” blade tomahawk the only edged instruments if I went to a different, distant wilderness area for the whole summer.

SP-51 for choppers is one of the best OKC came out with, the SP-53 does out chop it, but the straight edge is easier to maintain when in the field. And both baton about the same, I use mine for away fixed or mobile support things in the woods. Even at deer camp its the one I take as it can open up a deer's sternum like a light saber!

But the SP-51 is a chopper mostly, knfiey things...sort of, but that's what my other blades are for. I use it for heavy machete duties and batoning.

The SP-50 I guess was kept because it can do choppy things and knifey things better, but that's the same to be said of the SP-53, and Woodsman is way more versatile than the SP-50. During a certain sale I noticed Woodsman went bye bye fast.

SP-51 for choppers is one of the best OKC came out with, the SP-53 does out chop it, but the straight edge is easier to maintain when in the field. And both baton about the same, I use mine for away fixed or mobile support things in the woods. Even at deer camp its the one I take as it can open up a deer's sternum like a light saber!

But the SP-51 is a chopper mostly, knfiey things...sort of, but that's what my other blades are for. I use it for heavy machete duties and batoning.

The SP-50 I guess was kept because it can do choppy things and knifey things better, but that's the same to be said of the SP-53, and Woodsman is way more versatile than the SP-50. During a certain sale I noticed Woodsman went bye bye fast.

You don’t think a 12” blade would be awesome! The possibilities of 5160 are endless, and so far most of their offerings are about 9.” If they were using 1095, I’d understand, but with 5160 they could add 3” with no problems like breakage. I need a 12-13” woods knife, and I have to pay almost $400 to get a decent one. I know Ontario could make one for a few dollars more than the current sp knives, maybe $100. But they see the market as going smaller, and towards kitchen knives.(I asked Tooj.) imagine how well a sp51 at 12” would chop. Heavy, yes, but if the sabre grind were high enough, it would lose some of the extra weight.

Yeah I 'd love that! But going with what they make, I'd still take the Woodsman over a SP-50 for current production blades. My woodsman will see use for big critter cutting and food cutting camp knife duties, heck my little sister steals it for kitchen work! Now that is a versatile knife! The Saber grind I find is better for my main use of batoning and wood whacking in my area vs my larger FFG knives. If I had more regular more greeny springy stuff the SP-50 probably is better being more slicy. But then my RTAKII kills those invading bushes!

Yeah I 'd love that! But going with what they make, I'd still take the Woodsman over a SP-50 for current production blades. My woodsman will see use for big critter cutting and food cutting camp knife duties, heck my little sister steals it for kitchen work! Now that is a versatile knife! The Saber grind I find is better for my main use of batoning and wood whacking in my area vs my larger FFG knives. If I had more regular more greeny springy stuff the SP-50 probably is better being more slicy. But then my RTAKII kills those invading bushes!

Yeah, they’re not gonna do what I alone am asking for. The woodsman is beautiful next to the 50. The only one I really like that stays at home mostly is the sp-10, it’s too heavy to bring on long hikes.

Speaking of the SP-50's twin brother, The bushcraft woodsman, I saw a review in Amazon that they are now being made with 420J stainless.

Speaking of the SP-50's twin brother, The bushcraft woodsman, I saw a review in Amazon that they are now being made with 420J stainless.

I think Dan Maragni must have puked when/if he heard that one. Unless he quit first. But I bought 4 of them in 5160 just in case.

Absolutely. But they’re still on sale from time to time for less than $75. And I seriously doubt they are now made from 420 steel.

Unfortunately, they are now being made from 420 SS

Back