Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Just found an 1952 Cornelius Whitehouse & sons ltd catalogue that lists The "Gem" hatchet. :)

Don't know how to linkt to it sorry, but Google "Cornelius Whitehouse Gem" & the catalogue download is the first Timeless Tools link.:thumbsup:

The Gem is listed as 110A page 24/25.

No, that one’s not mine. A17’s post prompted me. I had seen “Kentish” Axes marked GEM before but discounted it as yours isn’t well-centered and thought it to be part of a larger mark - That is because it’s “THE GEM”. I searched Elwell, Gilpin, and other catalogs - that was interesting in its own right.

Those Kent patterns kind of look like hewing axes overall but are usually sharpened on both sides?

I don’t know who made it though.

Just found an 1952 Cornelius Whitehouse & sons ltd catalogue that lists The "Gem" hatchet. :)

Don't know how to linkt to it sorry, but Google "Cornelius Whitehouse Gem" & the catalogue download is the first Timeless Tools link.:thumbsup:

The Gem is listed as 110A page 24/25.

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/images/Cornelius Whitehouse catalogue.pdf

85-BA72-EC-0232-4-C31-9850-3-D40-CA7-BF712.jpg

F5283-CD8-0773-4-B59-ACDB-A8-E89262-CA7-C.jpg

A couple of other patterns that caught my eye in the catalog:

65-EC4-FF2-C54-D-43-BC-BC0-A-A7-DB35-B62-C23.png

E3-C35-D86-9883-4-BA3-9-D41-D895-E215-B842.jpg

Thank you very much Agent_H Agent_H . :thumbsup:

A few more pics after a gentle clean, a re-wedge & sharpening in order now.

haElJ6M.jpg

tGpz83n.jpg

And the thing that makes it absolutely certain what it is, the stamped pattern that is the same as the catalogue image :)

KCyR43N.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of old hammer heads I picked up yesterday. I'd like to know the use for the head on the left with what appears to be the remains of a strap still in the eye. The eyes direction indicates that the handle would have the striking face & the pick both canted back, like a cobblers hammer which I did wonder if it was, it just seems a bit heavy for that.

A nice coat of paint over the rust! Can't help thinking it might be wrought.......

HJ0jEyA.jpg

(please ignore the old 1944 Richards Sheffield army knife(broken) that's for a different sections discussion ;))

Last edited:
The hammer head is wrought :)

ru48UAh.jpg

R7iAFTN.jpg

W39dwcS.jpg

Not 100% sure about this but it appears to have a harder face welded on made from a thin spiral of higher carbon steel.

JsCQyDH.jpg

It's a lot smoother than it appears in the images, the face is fairly flat & the whole head not as rough as it looks.

Last edited:
Getting further & further away from axes at the moment......... I shall remedy that soon, apologies.

Picked up this little cute sharpener today, think it's the smallest I've seen, the stone is just under 3" diameter.

"Genko" Germany.

1REn3tc.jpg

FaDfL9f.jpg

WLNgLF6.jpg

It runs really smooth & the stone is true.

Last edited:
Thanks, the handle definitely has a reddish tint to whatever it was originally finished with which goes along with what I've seen on the web of original handles, I just thought the swell & wedging didn't seem right? Though it could have been re-wedged.

Reactions: A17
Thanks, the handle definitely has a reddish tint to whatever it was originally finished with which goes along with what I've seen on the web of original handles, I just thought the swell & wedging didn't seem right? Though it could have been re-wedged.
Mine was hung exactly the same way yours is and was original. Just a wood wedge, top of the eye painted black. I thought for sure i had a pic but only can find the wedge after i removed it.
eoQ1xCr.jpg

Side profile is almost exact too.
M8P1ov8.jpg

Nice find!

Back