Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

These picked up today, anyone know what the hatchet might have been used for? No visible markings yet before a clean.

9 1/2" & a very slim 15oz.

Q6GYDjc.jpg

HTnTaUs.jpg

Last edited:
The long pointy end may have been straighter and sharper at one time. I've bent a few a picks.

It may have been pointier but hasn't been bent.
I've been fancying making a Fokos/Sheperd's axe for some time & thought this a good donor to re-shape, but always like to know what something is before I re-purpose it just in case.........

How did you determine that?

I should have said "I don't think it's been bent" instead of a definite "hasn't".

But if you held it in your hand I'm sure you'd agree too, it's at least twice as thick in the direction of the bend as it is wide so it would be very hard to bend without it twisting sideways & it shows no signs of stress. It might have had a point, difficult to say.

Still no idea what it was/is.

I see these now & again but the vendors usually want too much for them, anyway today was my lucky day.

A Bellota 8104 adze, missing it's small wooden wedge, that shouldn't be too hard to sort out!

s8IFTMC.jpg

n0fmXvD.jpg

Not very good pics, will do more when it's wedged up.

Last edited:
I had a round up of all my stray "Bellota" 8007 Spanish made slip fit claw hammer heads that I've picked up over the years, I'd noticed that there were more sizes than I initially thought, when I got them all together (pictured) there were only two pairs the same, the two largest with handles & the heads to their right.
So out of these 12 heads 10 are different shapes or weighs.....a bit surprising.....

TeZobB4.jpg

8NfI6uR.jpg

They have been produced for many years & six different weights are still available, so some of these are different models/weights, some will be the same model but different year castings. Handles are round or oval cross section, I believe the oval cross section is the most recent.

Last edited:
I had a round up of all my stray "Bellota" 8007 Spanish made slip fit claw hammer heads that I've picked up over the years, I'd noticed that there were more sizes than I initially thought, when I got them all together (pictured) there were only two pairs the same, the two largest with handles & the heads to their right.
So out of these 12 heads 10 are different shapes or weighs.....a bit surprising.....

TeZobB4.jpg

8NfI6uR.jpg

They have been produced for many years & six different weights are still available, so some of these are different models/weights, some will be the same model but different year castings. Handles are round or oval cross section, I believe the oval cross section is the most recent.

Wow! I always love seeing what you bring in from Spain but this is just awesome. I have 5 weights of Vaughan straight-claw hammers. But having 10 would be amazing!

Last edited:
Wow! I always love seeing what you bring in from Spain but this is just awesome. I have 5 weights of Vaughan straight-claw hammers. But having 10 would be amazing!

Yes, these hammers fascinate me due to their simplicity in design & looks, it surprises me that they have been kept in Bellota's tool line up despite making many more modern models. I never saw any like this in the UK.

I've made a wedge for the stirrup adze & it's had a mild clean. It locks up solid even pushing the wedge in with a finger, making it necessary to tap it out with a hammer & punch!

wQ0W9bT.jpg

FLLradQ.jpg

N3VBAe2.jpg

Last edited:
Is it a cooper's tool? You can see I'm fairly unfamiliar with these other than by sight but as you mention the need to hammer with a punch, as I imagine, pushing the wedge out backwards somehow, are there indications on the handle up high that maybe the release comes by hammering there and loosening its wedge by a counter reaction, you know, in the manner of backing out the blade of a wood plane?

It's not specifically a Cooper's tool as far as I know, a general use Adze I think.

The wedge is basically a spacer to take up slack in the stirrup, the stirrup is past 90° to it's anchor point on the handle, having a "flat" on it means any impacts from the blade tightens it. It does allow a bit of adjustment on blade positioning as well.
My comment about tapping the wedge out was just a comment on how tight it locks up just with finger pressure on the end of the wedge.
The stirrup is cast steel, I only mention this as in the images it looks like a rivet in the flat part, it is in fact where a casting riser has been ground off.

Yes, I understand the mechanism of the wedge and thought that maybe tapping the handle might be the way of releasing it for sharpening or storage or for whatever reason.

Some old heads picked up today, a shoe makers & two old claws, but what was the twin cross peen on the right used for?

CAaYk0m.jpg

C8kSrws.jpg

Last edited:
Yes,people on Iberian peninsula like their adzes short,and wide,and very steeply angled.
They use them in part to make a powerful steep end-grain cuts,in coopering or boatbuilding and other trades...
A hammer with very narrow cross-pein had many uses,from peining small rivets to driving anything small and tack-like,from upholstery to any narrow small fastener(to avoid hitting your finger).
The second hammer from right is a simple small-forge-made expedient,hole punched and drifted and just left as is,no effort to streamline the cheeks by spreading that mass vertically.

A hammer with very narrow cross-pein had many uses,from peining small rivets to driving anything small and tack-like,from upholstery to any narrow small fastener(to avoid hitting your finger).
The second hammer from right is a simple small-forge-made expedient,hole punched and drifted and just left as is,no effort to streamline the cheeks by spreading that mass vertically.

It's definitely not a pin/tack hammer.... Maybe the image didn't give a sense of scale, it's pretty heavy. I'm thinking maybe a Mason's hammer with it's pointed peens. It's hand forged so could have been made for any special purpose I suppose.

epV0Xlo.jpg

The hand forged claw hammers I like collecting, there must have been lots of places producing them at one time, very simple tools, that one is probably the simplest I've found so far.....

or6U8ka.jpg

Last edited:
Today nothing exciting, a Boiler Scaling Hammer, not particularly interesting or but old........

tbLc546.jpg

n47as8K.jpg

like the Walters hatchets, if any of you are missing tools across the pond up there, looks like they are holidaying in southern Spain...........

Last edited:
Back