Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Surprisingly the heavy square claw hammer head from post #217 is quite likely Peugeot.

GsThtN3.jpg

3FQ0CeI.jpg

I have a Peugeot draw knife & something else that I can't remember at the moment!
It's difficult to find any timeline info about Peugeot tools online (lots about Peugeot coffee grinders!), anybody know anything about their tool manufacturing?

Last edited:
K Kevin Houtzager , yes & no.... ;)
While most will be aware of cars, mopeds & bicycles, coffee grinders & such the hand tool line appears to be older unless you know different.
The Peugeot Outillage (tools) link appears to be a modern branded power tool line, no mention of hand tools. Do you know of modern hand tools?

As well as this claw hammer head, I have a Peugeot branded draw knife that's dated 1917 & an adjustable coach bolt wrench that must be older, so both over 100 years old.
I guess if I could read French I'd stand a better chance of more history............

Reactions: A17
more likely a way of making the steel, but can also come from Sheffield who knows? but the whole thing is made out of it, no welded steel for the edge
if you search some data, french for drawknife is plane (as a plane for you is "un rabot" for french people)

This weekends finds, a mixed bag......

cWvnw31.jpg

A nice unmarked axe head, a couple of (Masons?) dummy mallets marked "Tiranti London", a fat handled mortise chisel, a panel hammer head & a Shinto look-a-like rasp.

9M7ZGYT.jpg

The sad looking mortise chisel will get some attention soon, I think I can sort this out.

0jfjPqk.jpg

I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted this little blue handled rasp, after buying the brilliant Shinto from abroad after reading about it here I really didn't expect to see anything like it at a flea market, at first I thought it might be an older Shinto, but it's unmarked, a bit of searching found a similar styled German rasp though a bit bigger.

Last edited:
That is a weird looking claw. What kind of nail needs that deeply inset claw?

It occurred to me that it probably isn't made for a specific task, it's just very efficient at pulling nails by rolling the head sideways, same as any claw hammer except this is super strong & the smooth rounded shape won't mark timber like the normal squarer edged claw.

As always..maybe ;)

It has a sturdy oval slip-fit handle that has run out of taper so has been messily wedged up, a newly made handle is next on the list..........

That is a weird looking claw. What kind of nail needs that deeply inset claw?

It occurred to me that it probably isn't made for a specific task, it's just very efficient at pulling nails by rolling the head sideways, same as any claw hammer except this is super strong & the smooth rounded shape won't mark timber like the normal squarer edged claw.

Looking again, maybe the hammer is telling us what kind of nail it was made for pulling - large-headed possibly hand-forged nails.

oBGcumA.jpg

In colonial times it was common for farmers and their sons to use the winter months making nails which could be sold commercially. It was a way to at least make some profit out of otherwise wasted months. I've heard this activity described in several old farming and blacksmithing books.

Winter%20nail%20making.jpg

I like the look of those old slip-fit hammers you find. It's always quite interesting to see what is more readily available given the region.

Yes, they are really different, I'm still getting over the shock of the Stanley one though!

Looking again, maybe the hammer is telling us what kind of nail it was made for pulling - large-headed possibly hand-forged nails.

It's probably not very old to be fair, it's marked both sides with what looks like 600 I assume refering to grams & has a nail holder groove front & back.
The claw groove is fairly thin & fits modern nails, it's just beefed up at the side where it rolls.

Back