Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Made a new hickory slip handle.

LaihUBs.jpg

d30iBfF.jpg

Blacked with some tint then rubbed & oiled so it doesn't shout new.

Last edited:
English (B)road (A)rrow?

I did wonder if the small shape stamped next to BA was a broad arrow, but I've never seen it stamped like that before.....?

Wow! Those are cool. Do you know what industry they were made for?

I know absolutely nothing about them, bought with no history whatsoever. They could be from any country.
I imagine shipwright but could just be a woodworkers tool.

The fact they don't have Adze eyes maybe means they pre-date them or just from a country that didn't adopt them......... as always, maybe.. ;)

Reactions: A17
This caulked axe handle seems to me a brilliant example of multi-functionalism. In the first instance the caulk serving as a gauge for fitting on the head and secondly a safety stop keeping the head from flying off the end. By making the caulked section fit the eye, it's then just a matter of a gradual reduction over the length to ensure a good fit automatically without repeatedly slipping the head on and off. Then what you are left with is a handy notch to catch the loosened head. An example of evolutionary design and not some spontaneous thought process I guess. 'course I could be wrong and just imagining things.
Post #248 with a bit of TLC

xuZQ3Yf.jpg

.....some good woodworm killer & wood hardener? :)

Lol!

But you got me thinking. You could soak it in BLO for a week to stablize the wood. Then let it cure for a week. Next find a glass jar about the size of the handle. Fill the jar with clear epoxy and set the handle in it to cure. Then break off the glass and rasp the epoxy to shape and polish it. You'd see all that worm wood inside the epoxy handle. Of course it wouldn't be sound enough to use but it would look really cool.

can anyone recommend some good woodworm killer & wood hardener?
I don't know too much about the subject...(an example of in Square_peg's suggestion above-would BLO integrate gracefully with epoxy?i dunno...).

By "Wood hardener",i presume you mean some type of penetrating polymer that plasticises and preserves the wood?
To do so one generally must remove All moisture from the piece.
(not exactly rocket science-get most of it by placing in plastic bag with bunch of crumpled-up newspaper;change every day(dry already used ones in a cardboard box and reuse;eventually once you get down to +/- 10% or whatever,then microwave the rest out till cheap moisture meter reads 0%).
Then you'd need to set up a primitive vacuum chamber,like a canning jar with rubber seal+air fitting in the lid...Use bicycle pump to create a part of an Atm of pressure....don't materially matter positive or negative...
Then the polymer will enter all/most of cell structure....

I'm not sure i'd bother with remnant of handle such as this...It's a nice old chisel,and was meant to be re-handled as many times as necessary...That handle itself was never anything to write home about,very workaday;and even the way it's all worm-eaten is not that visually cool...:)...
But,yeah...

Picked up a Peugeot chisel, can anyone recommend some good woodworm killer & wood hardener? :)

DuxoE6B.jpg

deR3mkW.jpg

B6W2h7q.jpg

Also found an old 19" adjustable, OK not an axe but interesting, no?

4FqYQZG.jpg
Edit; I just saw that square peg beat me to this recommendation. I'll leave my reply anyway. ;)
If you like the worm holes you could tape off the end of a cardboard tube and suspend the handle inside it. Then pour in resin and you could shape it after it cures. There's so many makers of resin these days it's hard to choose. But Pro Marine supplies is a good brand. I think they make a casting resin which would be perfect for your handle. If what's left of the wooden handle is still secure in the chisel than you could actually use it too. Furthermore if you filled the resin up just past the threads and right up to that lip it would hold it very well.

Last edited:
Back