Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

A few more tools picked up today........ (Axe content coming soon! ;)).

ySe82cW.jpg

1CDQYx3.jpg

A lovely stirrup adze.
This one without a wooden wedge, it has a length of leather between the handle & blade & locks up tight.

MEUXx4q.jpg

Made by Goldenberg which at first sounded German but after a Google I believe is actually French, anyone know about Goldenberg?

WG6HmYZ.jpg

TYMOBnI.jpg

Not old but nice, a beech Ulmia plane.

MUxgqQt.jpg

hU24BZH.jpg

And lastly this chopper, anyone know it's purpose? I'll guess as a harvesting tool for topping some kind of root veg? Anyone know? The only remaining part of the label legible doesn't help much......

AIguzkF.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Way cool,lovely strap/stirrup adze.Goldenberg is one of the oldest/most wide-spread French manufacturers,there should be Lots on the net about it.
The plane is really sweet too.I really like European beech;i wonder if the plate on it is boxwood or lignum vitae or something equally sexy...
No idea what the chopping implement is for.

J jake pogg thank you, the Adze is very nice with that lovely smooth patina that comes from use, I have found a history of Goldenberg but mainly hand planes....

The Ulmia plane has a sole of white beech I think, though it looks more like boxwood, it is an older model than what's currently listed so maybe.....
https://www.ulmia.de/catalogue/index.html#12

And after a bit of searching I can answer my own question regarding the "cleaver", it's a French style equivalent to a British billhook, a general agricultural chopper. Photo from a French collectors site.

QMKOvQS.jpg

The translation from the Ulmia catalogue of the woods used is kind of rough and not altogether accurate. The wood used for the sole of the plane is what's called in English Hop hornbeam which is a different wood than White beech. You have White and Red beech and then the Hornbeam, also in the beech family. An analogy would be the differences between Red oak, White oak and Holm oak, the Hornbeam being much harder and with a finer structure similar to boxwood which makes it well suited for plane soles. The Ulmia factory closed down 10 or twenty years ago unfortunately. They are very high quality, no compromises, and in the German way the steel is hard, much work to get sharp but takes a good edge and holds it a long time, I guess that is the preferred standard there. Personally I don't mind this trade-off particularly for planes.
Goldberg tools with the "all seeing eye" stamped on there are common, like Jake says it, kind of the French version of Stanley but then different, making axes, chisels, and so on and so on... But your adz as a whole, with its elm wood grip very beautiful and I guess used by the cooper in that area.

Last edited:
E Ernest DuBois , thank you for the clarification of wood types, I did see the plane on a vendors site stating the sole was hornbeam but thought the manufacturers site would know better..... this one must be an older one made before the name was bought by the present company. Incdecently the front handle on this plane is angled very slightly for right handers, only a little & not obvious on first glance.

The Goldenberg adze is a nice tool, I also have a Spanish made Bellota without the wooden knuckle protection, Bellota made them untill quite recently & I believe they were a general adze & not used exclusively by Coopers. I see quite a few on my travels but usually the vendor thinks they are very, very old & rare so reflect this in their crazy asking prices!

F flexo , think you for spotting the brand. Well done :thumbsup:
https://www.cdiscount.com/jardin/outils-de-jardinage/serpe/f-1632518-rev3295070964124.html
(I see the present forum glitch of multiple posting caught ya as well! ;))

Happy New Year Bladeforumers!!

Some pics to prove the stuff I find doesn't just get tossed in a box!

JX3yxct.jpg

Elwell head on a 32" Beech haft, lower two Spanish Ramon Onraida's on 25 & 24" Hickory.

qQZ7xe9.jpg

French billhook cleaned up, chisel handle repaired. Points for naming the collar?

Gm1w11O.jpg

Some hammers handled, second down has a particularly small eye so has a 6" long 1/4 steel bar down the centre through the head. Time will tell if this works or not............

Last edited:
It's nice to see refurbished,well-kept tools,right on.
I like that French cross-pein,always wondered what it'd be like to use one...Wonder if that peculiar cut-away shape provides for better visibility...

Thanks, I love resurrecting old tools, like most of us here I think. :thumbsup:
I have seen this style of hammer called a French Locksmiths or Lock box hammer, I can only assume the shape comes from the need to get tight into the corners of old metal locks?

Last edited:
Here's a quick search for French-pattern hammer:https://hammersource.com/blacksmithing-hammers/french-swedish-hammers/
Yours appears to be either an unused one,or in any case for whatever reason un-dressed;such sharp facets would damage a forging...
So maybe it is typical for French to use it in a number of other applications;it'd be consistent with some light,machinist-type work to use a tool with un-radiused edges/facets...

Roller bearing inner race?

47 virtual points, congratulations! :thumbsup:. They make great collars.

J jake pogg , with the greatest of respect I was merely pointing out the name of the pattern, I think it's safe to say that every heavy hammer under the sun has been called a Blacksmiths hammer at some time.
It's very likely when a hammer style is not in it's country of origin it becomes known by the country that developed it, hence in Blacksmithing communities this is simply a French Blacksmiths hammer.

The ones below are of a pattern I've seen described a locksmiths hammers with or without French in front.

QEoG4Ax.jpg

If you use Google images for "locksmith hammer" you'll also get images of the style below, I believe this is incorrect.

jFhqjqf.jpg

The two largest are my favourite smithing hammers, I've called them Blacksmith's hammers even though they also know as Engineer's or Machinist's hammers, also have seen this style referred to as German, Farrier's, Riviter's, Tinsmith's.......... I'll probably think of more names after posting this!

They are all cross peens / peins. :)

Yes, no & maybe as to whether any of the above is correct! ;)

I can see where the square face and perpendicular pein could be useful for riveting components into a mortise lock. Today we use screws for those tasks but when screws weren't readily available these would have been useful.

It hadn't occurred to me until now, but when you picture both those patterns angled in the hand riviting or nailing into a sunken shallow box (a lock box?) the lower pattern will get tight into the edge/bottom nearest to you but won't get tight into the edge/bottom at the farthest side, the top "locksmith" pattern will get tight into the nearest AND the farthest because of the "cut out" on the pein..........

Maybe...;)

Right,all of the above is correct.
We all of us attempt to differentiate between tools,to try to class them in some manner,probably to better understand them,i'd suppose(leaving aside those of us Way serious about "collecting").

So speaking for myself,my own general view of tool history,i tend to look first into the essential,primary you may say,use of tools.
Forging was what people have first done with iron,shaping it by plastic deformation...That included the tooling for that,(and eventually practically all other tooling...:).
So first there were Black-smithing tools;then as people got more comfortable forging tools/objects to shape they started further refining them by White-smithing...(whitesmith was the term analogous to the later locksmith and even later machinist,i.e. when the black forge-scale was removed down to "white",the shiny metal).
It's kinda helps to keep in mind that people forged iron for couple-three thousand years,where they machined it for only about the last tenth of that period...(speaking VERY broadly,and of course in my own personal view(as usual:).

That latest 10th or less of our metalworking history was Very intense though...In the process of it everything intensified-the production speed an efficiency,an variety of tools(and of course processes),and the commercial structure of society change radically,the competition was becoming if not yet global then massively regional....

Check out this French catalog for example:http://web.archive.org/web/20081113172839/http://www.forgesmoulins.fr/CatalogueP13.htm

That is a pretty Crazy variety of styles of most basic tools...As was becoming common during those times there were simply not enough terms to name them all,and manufacturers resorted to using geographical names to designate different patterns....

We must admit that much of this was rather recent,but also frivolous....Manufacturers were often using different designations,not necessarily reflecting the nature of a tool,just so it was competitive and sounded cool....

Of course,eventually much of this has entered more/less common usage...But the essence,like say the shape of a Pein on a forging hammer,never really changed...

I'm not trying to proove anything here,just thinking outloud more than anything....(pedantry release:)

J jake pogg , if you want to be pedantic you've come to the right place :). Surely that's what this place is about.... Haha.
The hammers named after places rather than trades is something I'm very used to seeing as I spent the first half of my life in the U.K, it seems like every city or county has it's own style of hammer named after it.
Straight away I can think of another cross peins most will know, the mainly carpentry "Warrington" & the "London" pattern that has a long thin pein often seen re-handled the wrong way round!

Back