Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Those are beautiful Biscayne axes,both...What lovely texture...(i'm personally divided on this kind of deep etch,but always do enjoy seeing it once done...(human nature,damned unreasonable:))

They both seem to be bladed with some kind of non-homogeneous steel.Some sort of Iberian version of "shear-steel"-iron strips,carburISed,and welded together...It sure ain't no moder mono-alloy...

I can't see the photos(see most of ones of axes,but for a few minutes only,reception sucks today).
But it sounds like you ruined that psychedelic Picasso-blue sewing machine!
Barbarian!:)

Last edited:
Are you going to race the sewing machine?
That's pretty cool! :) The sewing machine is very heavy so unless it's a gravity race........
Those are beautiful Biscayne axes,both...What lovely texture...(i'm personally divided on this kind of deep etch,but always do enjoy seeing it once done...(human nature,damned unreasonable:))
Agreed, I'm divided on it too, and as much as I like to preserve things I sometimes can't help myself because they look so good when etched! It also helps when trying to explain to people why I get so excited about wrought.........

But it sounds like you ruined that psychedelic Picasso-blue sewing machine!
Barbarian!:)
You'll like it when you see it after sand blasting & laying on some shiny new paint ;)

I sometimes can't help myself because they look so good when etched! It also helps when trying to explain to people why I get so excited about wrought.........

Yes,i must agree...As a matter of fact i should probably,at some point,humbly ask for some basic training at that black art...The only etchant available to me here would be some FeCl granules,you can no longer peddle the liquid article in AK...But i think one of my friends here has got a stash.
(Sulpfuric acid from car batteries is entirely too gross,i'll not play with that again,ack...:(...).

You'll like it when you see it after sand blasting & laying on some shiny new paint ;)

I'm sure it'll be nice.Timing in those things is what always threw me,never really understood it properly(If it's mechanically intact,which i assume it is,you taking all that trouble with the outside of it).

Seeing as we're at the top of a page you should be able to see this J jake pogg ;)

yPI87rG.jpg

Ask away regarding the etching, I use Ferric Chloride mainly but it tends to be a bit of a trial & error depending on what's available & what strength it is. I've also used vinegar (slower) & this time coffee (very slow) for a final etch!

Markets now have been open a couple of weeks after four months closed during lockdown, the two I've visited having about half the usual sellers & people (everyone masked & compulsory hand sanitizer on entry).

Managed to pick up a wooden Wood Plane, can anyone help on the stamp

2FXRNIv.jpg

I wonders if ARNS is Arnsberg in Germany? Seeing as GUSSSTAHL is cast steel in German.
What looks like crossed hammers & words beginning with JOH? & maybe ending in NS...

9rl711O.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder if after cleaning up wood planes, whether metal or wood I should get some white paint to randomly spot & splatter on them as every one of the many I've had have had this feature, I'm now wondering if it in fact standard original? ;)
Thanks.

Last edited:
Markets now have been open a couple of weeks after four months closed during lockdown, the two I've visited having about half the usual sellers & people (everyone masked & compulsory hand sanitizer on entry).

Managed to pick up a wooden Wood Plane, can anyone help on the stamp

2FXRNIv.jpg

I wonders if ARNS is Arnsberg in Germany? Seeing as GUSSSTAHL is cast steel in German.
What looks like crossed hammers & words beginning with JOH? & maybe ending in NS...

9rl711O.jpg

Thanks.
JOH. PETER ARNS
https://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/arns.phtmlhttps://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/arns.phtml

At long last I can show an image hatchet related! Phew.... :) (before I got banned for "off topic"!).

FoITI1V.jpg

Picked these up today, a "Ramon Onraida" hatchet, a really old forged claw head & another "Bellota" Orange crate hammer, funny how something isn't seen for ages then two come along at once.

5MFYmLC.jpg

Beautiful!!

I agree Bradenk1987 Bradenk1987 , not seen a motor like it before.

A couple of finds today.........

Zb9pQuX.jpg

A Billhook/Slasher thing with a short woodwormed handle & a fire type hatchet (that I now know after Googling) is a "Chillington ARPAX", ARPAX for Air Raid Patrol AXe from UK WW11 made in Wolverhampton, a hard rubber handle with "Tested 20,000 Volts" stamped on it.

Portuguese flea market finds this time after visiting some friends over the weekend in Alentejo province, Portugal.

GbbhcVG.jpg

KLvARnn.jpg

Typical hatchets of this region.

NhaESa5.jpg

The eye should be round......

t7NpHlI.jpg

Love this large head.

9EmcAJf.jpg

I'll post what I find after a little cleaning. :)

Last edited:
Here's some slightly better images of the Portugal finds after a light clean.

NlQjlHC.jpg

The head on the right appears to be wrought......

KEqVeXA.jpg

....and the one from the left after some cleaning, despite the lovely array of wedges I'm going to save this handle as it's solid despite shakes.

BYCR9dr.jpg

The makers marks, AP, FJ-R & a stamp that resembles % with a line at each side (or top & bottom) to form a Z. Any info appreciated as always.

11olEa5.jpg

The large head....

dfABHqZ.jpg

.....with the funky shape.

0x8b3VJ.jpg

FERFOR No3. A company still operating near Porto (the home of Port wine), Portugal.

pybHCYB.jpg

Really don't know what to make of this little fella, no markings but nicely made...

MB5VQVQ.jpg

....tiny eye.

Dl0KBcc.jpg

And the really strange hand forged claw head :) the one on the left might've wrought.

xPxrO0e.jpg

So I'll carry on trying to find info & sort some handles out, more soon.

Last edited:
Back