Spare time

In my spare time which has been scarce lately I've been working on a couple projects. I thought you guys might like to see.

4844368858_a8f8749ebc_z.jpg

The new Z-sere is the top knife and it's huuuuugeee.:eek: The bottom template is of a dogwood for size comparison. The Z is so big I can't get it in my kiln so I'm gonna have to ship it out for heat treat. It's 1/4" 5160 and I'm gonna attempt to put a reverse varied grind on it. We'll see if I screw it up or not.
The middle one came to me from a friend in a shape that was real similar to a Busse. He told me to do what I liked with it so I re-shaped it to something more practical in my opinion. It's gonna be a one-shot deal, probably won't even have a name. Just kind of a fun project to work on and use some creativity.

The one-shot in hand
4843750489_29eefa1305_z.jpg

The Z-Sere in hand
4844368956_ddb336b05a_z.jpg

When I was profiling the Z today I had a good ember going on the bench under the wheel.:eek:
4844368810_be5cc7f7e2_z.jpg

That's a burn spot on the magnet and on the bench under the contact wheel.
:eek:

Let me know what you guys think.
Later,
Iz

IZ THE Z LOOK NICE IS THAT A 1 OFF DEAL :thumbup:
D,
I'm not sure yet. I'm gonna make this one and do some testing on it to try and figure out the best temper and steel combo. After that I might make up a few to sell out right. I'm not crazy about the idea of offering these on a regular basis just yet. They take twice the amount of everything to do, so we'll see I guess.

That Z blade is cool lookin.... Whats the OAL?

Larry
Larry,
The oal is just under 16". It's a monster, the biggest knife I've ever made by far.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate you looking.
Iz

Thanks, Scott.
I plan on doing some testing on it to see what happens. Here's hoping I don't cut anything valuable off.:cool:
Iz

You know I think the Z is gonna be awesome, but that one-off knife looks great too. Don't write it off yet. It might deserve a name and a spot in your lineup.

You know I think the Z is gonna be awesome, but that one-off knife looks great too. Don't write it off yet. It might deserve a name and a spot in your lineup.

If I have it done and it's still in my possession in September I'll bring it and you can look it over.
Thanks, brutha.
Iz

They look great to me bro. Yea, you gotta watch that metal dust. It smolders like a coal and its hard to see there is a fire going.

iz how is the big z coming pics :thumbup:

Slowly.:( It's been pushed to the side until I can get caught up somewhat. It's sort of one of those pet projects that will take a long time to get finished I'm afraid.

They look great to me bro. Yea, you gotta watch that metal dust. It smolders like a coal and its hard to see there is a fire going.
Thanks, brother. I appreciate it.
Yeah, if I'd had a good tinder bundle I could have built a nice fire in the shop.:eek:
Iz

Back