Spartan Blades: Bill Harsey Designed Hunter & Difensa, and the Phrike (VERY Pic Hvy)

Ok. Thank you for you input. For the price difference I can get the duke and a custom sheath. Lol. But the damn Spartans look so bad ass.

Thanks for the great pics and reviews. I have had a couple of Spartan blades fixed blade knives in the past as I was trying things out and ended up not keeping them. I am starting to look at them again. The phrike looks like a great EDC and the hunter looks great for just about everything that I would need a knife for.
Thanks again, take care.

Pizza and difensa.

tzWMXKrh.jpg

qUlLWpOh.jpg

Ok. Thank you for you input. For the price difference I can get the duke and a custom sheath. Lol. But the damn Spartans look so bad ass.

Oh, the Spartans lack nothing in the bad ass dept :)

Thanks for the great pics and reviews. I have had a couple of Spartan blades fixed blade knives in the past as I was trying things out and ended up not keeping them. I am starting to look at them again. The phrike looks like a great EDC and the hunter looks great for just about everything that I would need a knife for.
Thanks again, take care.

I like their in-house designs ok, if I were a soldier I'd be carrying and Ares I'm quite sure, but I prefer the handles of the Harsey models for my uses as they are. The Phrike is my favorite of their in house designs, and makes a great edc fixed blade.

Pizza and difensa.

tzWMXKrh.jpg

qUlLWpOh.jpg

Heck yeah! That Pizza looks awesome! The Difensa is fun to use. If I had gotten a one with the brown blade or even brown handle, I would probably still have it. As it is, I am over black blades and all black knives. I have had too many of them and I am not a soldier. I would love a Hunter with one of Bill Harsey's hand finished blades. I think tonight's carry will be my Hunter in the high ride sheath. It's legal here for open carry and classy and discrete in the new leather :)

I like the tan and black handle. The black and black is bad ass, but even in the camp sight it scares the sheeple. Lol. Screw the sheeple and there ignorant mentality. Last I checked a semi auto Woodstock does the same thing as an AR. Same goes for knives. When I pull my Enyo out people look at me as if I pulled out a machete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the tan and black handle. The black and black is bad ass, but even in the camp sight it scares the sheeple. Lol. Screw the sheeple and there ignorant mentality. Last I checked a semi auto Woodstock does the same thing as an AR. Same goes for knives. When I pull my Enyo out people look at me as if I pulled out a machete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, it's not a judgement on my part. Other than when I am intentionally being discrete to avoid unwanted attention, I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks personally of my color choices. We all have the right to choose what appeals to us as individuals. Here the sheeple often seem just as afraid of a small uncoated knife with an orange handle as a larger all black knife. Sheeple are sheeple... I have just been doing R&D, T&E, and field research of knives for a lot of years, starting long before the internet and internet reviews, and most of them in the last decade have been tools for more "tactical" applications, and a lot of intense tests. I am just personally burned out on black coatings and all black knives. They are the easiest to photograph to be honest, but I am just burned out on looking at the all black knives. I have tested so many that at this point aesthetically they all start blending together, and at at times creates a sort of "seen-one-seen-them-all" sort of feeling in my mind that have to defeat to get on with the testing...

One thing I will say about the coating is that it is damn tough. Opened a can with the Difensa. The metal comes off on the coating rather than the other way areound.

One thing I will say about the coating is that it is damn tough. Opened a can with the Difensa. The metal comes off on the coating rather than the other way areound.

The ceramic coating they use is some pretty awesome stuff. After I had used it a bit is looked like I had worn some of the coating, even after clean up with warm soap and water. So I was thinking coating wear was normal for what the knife had been through by that point.

12_zps570791f4.jpg

16_zpse6e93d2a.jpg

17_zps887bff67.jpg

But Curtis Iovito saw one of the pictures of it and saw what I had said about the coating wearing and wrote me a message telling me how to clean it up if I wanted to. It cleans up pretty easily with some WD-40. This photo was taken almost two years after the above photos

1522724_668780563144583_1763826584_o_zps28f29fd0.jpg

LOL, it's not a judgement on my part. Other than when I am intentionally being discrete to avoid unwanted attention, I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks personally of my color choices. We all have the right to choose what appeals to us as individuals. Here the sheeple often seem just as afraid of a small uncoated knife with an orange handle as a larger all black knife. Sheeple are sheeple... I have just been doing R&D, T&E, and field research of knives for a lot of years, starting long before the internet and internet reviews, and most of them in the last decade have been tools for more "tactical" applications, and a lot of intense tests. I am just personally burned out on black coatings and all black knives. They are the easiest to photograph to be honest, but I am just burned out on looking at the all black knives. I have tested so many that at this point aesthetically they all start blending together, and at at times creates a sort of "seen-one-seen-them-all" sort of feeling in my mind that have to defeat to get on with the testing...

I would imagine. Hadn't thought of that. I also have gotten away from coated blades, they just cut better. Especially the cheap coating that esee and Becker use. Also likely knives to look used and not polished. To each his own.

I would imagine. Hadn't thought of that. I also have gotten away from coated blades, they just cut better. Especially the cheap coating that esee and Becker use. Also likely knives to look used and not polished. To each his own.

In my youth the only knives I had that were coated were phosphate coated, and none of those were black back then. The all back look was fine to me for a long time, but over time it just grew on me like a weight. Then most of the cheeper coatings on the market produce drag and inhibit the performance of the knife. so I have essentially returned to my roots and prefer uncoated blades like the ones I used in my younger days hunting, fishing, and trapping. The ceramic coatings like the ones Spartan uses are among the only ones that don't annoy me to some degree.

Spartan makes great knives, own the Difensa, and 2 of the Harsey 2's which have been discontinued! Would own more if they (Spartan) would put the Difensa handles on their other offering's-Great knives

Spartan makes great knives, own the Difensa, and 2 of the Harsey 2's which have been discontinued! Would own more if they (Spartan) would put the Difensa handles on their other offering's-Great knives

I agree, and I regret not getting a Mod-II, but I'll have to try for one second hand later. The Hunter has the same handle, just sayin' :) and I think there may even be a smaller one in the works for later.

I agree, and I regret not getting a Mod-II, but I'll have to try for one second hand later. The Hunter has the same handle, just sayin' :) and I think there may even be a smaller one in the works for later.

Whenever that Tactical Trout does eventually come out, I hope that they release it in an uncoated blade. I just really like the look of the trouts as Bill makes them, and it would be nice to have a production option for the Trout.

Whenever that Tactical Trout does eventually come out, I hope that they release it in an uncoated blade. I just really like the look of the trouts as Bill makes them, and it would be nice to have a production option for the Trout.

I hope so too, and I as well as a couple of others have expressed that thought...but not sure if that will happen or not. It won't happen until after Blade at least anyway so we will just have to see where that goes. I am on the list for one of Bill's hand made T.T.s but he only makes a few of those a year anyway and this year not sure he had time to make any.

I'm curious as to why the hunter cost more than the difensia and it has a shorter blade than the difensia. :confused:

Back