Spartan Hybris?

arourasphere

Gold Member
Looking to pick up a new fixed blade. I loved the CRK Nyala Insingo I had a while back, it was just too small for what I wanted. If I’m going to have a fixed blade I would prefer it to be bigger than what I normally carry as a folder (3.5-4”). The blade shape of the Insingo was something that I really liked, and it seems the Hybris has a similar profile (modified sheepsfoot). Does anyone have direct experience with the Hybris or other Spartan Blades? Anything I should be wary of with them? Thanks in advance.

I recently bought a Spartan Horkos and will most definitely NOT recommend it. The blade is light, plain, the scales are useless, and the sheath a cheap generic thing. The scales (grip) would only be suitable for the hands of a four year old child, and are poorly finished. They don’t offer replacement scales for a normal adult. For the money, you’d be MUCH better off buying a Chris Reeve Pacific or a Green Beret. There are many, many options other than Spartan. I will never buy another Spartan knife.

Thanks for the quick reply. The pacific and green beret look like great knives, but I’m trying to find something with a shape similar to the insingo. If they made a 5” Nyala it would be perfect, but such is life. I will certainly take your post into consideration about Spartan though.

That has been the complete opposite of my experience with Spartan. Their knives are some of the best out there and their customer service is second to none. They have some of the best OEM sheaths on the market in my opinion too.

There are quite a few Randall knives that fit the type of knife you’re looking for. There are some Benchmade and Spyderco which are not as nice looking as the CR but with great designs for hunting, fishing and all around use. There are many “custom” (independent knife makers) knives at a good price point that are even nicer than the CR. There is a shop where you can find many great knives of that sort but I understand they cannot be mentioned here unless they are sponsors.

Last edited:
Waterway doesn’t quite have the right blade shape. The Aqua Salt is on the short list though. Great blade shape, just leaves a little to be desired in materials. It is a dive knife though, so the materials fit the intended purpose.

I have a Spartan Akribis, a Harsey folder and a George V-14 and they are all first rate including sheath on the V-14.

check out Michael Morris knives, great handmade product from a really good guy at fantastic prices

I purchased a Spartan Harsey Difensa about 2 yrs ago. I love it and am thinking of purchasing the Hybris this Christmas. I find the holster comment by mendezj above quite interesting as the Difensa ships with the same exact nylon sheath as the 5.5" Chris Reeve Green Beret and the scales on the Difensa are great ...

chris-reeve-green-beret-5-5-fde-non-serrated-fixed-blade-181.jpg
spartan-blades-spartan-harsey-hunter-fde-blk-with-nylon-molle-sheath-tan~3.jpg

https://www.knifeart.com/chregrbe55fd.html

The Horkos is part of a new series of knives designed by Spartan but made by Kabar and they are cheaper than the regular offerings from Spartan. This series of knives includes the Damysis, Alala, Machai, and Enyo. They are not up to the level of design or quality of the regular Spartan fixed blades like the Difenza or V-14 or their folders.

Many of Spartan's fixed blades have low-profile handles on purpose for when strapped on a a military gear but you can always add thicker, bigger handle slabs

Back