1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Spartan mods?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by spyderg, Aug 10, 2019.

1. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    So this seems like the best section to ask, has anyone done any modifications to their Victorinox Spartan or other Saks to eliminate redundancy or make use of the can opener?

I just ordered a Spartan because it has some really nice scales but I just can’t see the point of having a canopener, I’ve got a much easier to use one in the drawer. We haven’t gone camping in years and most cans have a pull tab anyway. Also don’t really need two spear blades. (I carry a larger modern folder 95% of the time already too).

I’m pretty sure the can opener will get a gut hook like treatment with a pointy tip turning it into a clamshell package opener. I’ve done this with a Spey blade before and it works great!

Next is the redundancy in the blades, I would love to turn the small blade into a wharncliffe or a sheepsfoot but it doesn’t look like the position of the nail nick will let me. Perhaps when I get it in hand I’ll figure out a way to make that work. If not I was considering adding serrations to one or doing something completely crazy and turning the main into a comb.

Thoughts and suggestions anyone? Thnx.

2. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    I’m kinda surprised that I haven’t found much at all in the way of any modding a SAK. Some custom jobs and the odd set of replacement scales but little to no modifications to the tools or blades themselves.

3. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    I'm fairly new to the victorinox madness but I have been researching how to mod them as far as tool swapping. Have you been to the Swiss army Knights forum yet to look for advice/ideas? Sorry mods if that is breaking a rule.

4. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    It is pretty easy to turn the small pen blade into a wharncliffe. The steel Victorinox uses is run pretty soft, so it is easy to regrind blades. Removing blades altogether is a bit more involved, and you have to be comfortable with drilling out pins and peening new ones. You also need to realize that each and every tool and blade is matched to its' end of its' specific spring, so there are severe limits on what you can and can't do when changing the layout of a SAK.

Pomsbz likes this.
  5. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    I’ve considered taking it apart and swapping tools but I’d rather leave it together and just mod what’s there on this one.

I know grinding the tip away to create a sheepsfoot is easy, but the nail nick is pretty far down the blade meaning either I’d have to grind some of it away making it look odd, or take away a fair bit of height from the blade. The latter might be what I end up doing but I’ll need it in hand to see first.

I was kinda hoping there were some other mods I hadn’t considered but it seems not many folks have tried.

6. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    You really don't need to take much off the tip, just grind off the belly. The blade stock is thin enough to get a good result that way.

Lapedog and spyderg like this.
  7. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    0182BA57-5420-4EEB-83D6-11900DA36FB3.jpeg 08C1945B-7767-43A3-8703-7342261990CF.jpeg Sounds like you need a MiniChamp or a swinging drawer model.

8. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    I’ve seen and considered a custom, may still get one one day but as I mentioned, I picked this one up for the scales. Special edition or something white with Ukrainian embroidery pattern. Had to grab one! I could probably get the scales off and buy a doner, make a better equipped SAK but if I mess up the scales it’s all for nothing, time and $ wasted.
    I’m planning on clam shell pack modding the can opener and hoping to turn the pen into a coping. Have to wait till I get in hand to see if that will work.
    In the meantime I was curious if anyone else has modded the tools on their SAKs.

9. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    I’m hoping I can make that work without it looking funny. I’ll likely regrind it too if I go that route. Just have to wait for it to arrive and see it up close. I’ve had to alter modding plans in the past after getting a knife in hand.

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  10. pipedreams308

pipedreams308 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    The can opener, as is, is a fantastic Phillips and medium standard screwdriver.

Storm 8593, jazzz and Getting older like this.
  11. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    I intend to leave that part of the can opener alone.

12. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    Darn it! Another "I didn't know this existed until now and now I don't know how I'll exist without it," ha ha. Does it rattle?

13. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Not at the speed I move at.

Storm 8593 likes this.