Spear-Carriers!

:eek::eek::eek:

32861518207_7b5c4fc936_b.jpg

I've been saving this picture for my coup de grace, as it truly is a spear. About 10 years ago I shot a young bison for meat (delicious!) and made this mount of the skull and horns. I cut out and covered a plywood shield with an Indian looking rug, and made this spear out of a dagger blade and broom handle. I added the eagle feathers (fake, of course) to complete the look. Hope you like it!

LH7LGMN.jpg

Last edited:
May I consider secondary pen blades to be small spearpoint blades?
For the past week, I've been using the pen blades on a couple of old Imperial USA knives for food prep in the kitchen. Excellent slicers, but awkwardly short for some kitchen applications.
Here's a pic of the blades under consideration:
MOTS&toothpick.vert.pens.jpg

- GT

Some amazing examples of Spearpoints here!
Frankly I have never liked this blade shape (It looked nice, but felt quite unpractical to me) until something happened… I've bought a knife!

I've always wanted a 2 bladed USA made Jack knife with a nice long clippoint blade which is in my eyes an absolute classic and I really prefer to have a good sharp point. Believe me it's not easy to get a nice slippie like that for reasonable price here in central Europe. Year and so ago I was lucky enough to score a #78 American Jack from GEC (2017 model). When I saw it by person I liked the look and said to myself: "Maybe you won't miss a sharp point. Maybe it turns out to be a good user - try it!"
And it did!
After some kitchen use and food preparation in the woods it has grown on me. No problem with cutting, peeling, spreading (it excels in this), basic wood carving (feather sticks and point sticks mostly). Do I miss a sharp point? Nope. I still have one on secondary pen blade which turns out to be an amazing dirty/carving blade.
American Jack quickly become my favorite user (I had to tune it up a little at first but it doesn't belong to this thread.) and now I can proudly say: "I am a Spear Carrier!"

edit: Sorry Can't add a picture. Don't know what is wrong :(

img-20180325-164400-jpg

Last edited:
Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley Those Sabots are an interesting knife, all stainless construction and monstrous snap :D bit crude in some respects but a real working knife if you want. I found the Sandvik takes a satisfying edge too, just mind those fingers when closing;)

Regards, Will

When I've a bit more spare time in my life, have a couple of Gemsbok horns to make spear handles for the two smaller ones - for the bigger, still thinking what to do.

These are solid carbon steel damascus spearheads made for me by Dave Budd here in UK, and a great job he did too. They polish up beautifully, looking a tad dull in the pic.

spears.jpg

Back