Spear-Carriers!

Ulster
dLV2aw8.jpg

Not so very long ago, the Barlow seemed to be the fashionable choice on this Forum ;) I think it's been de-throned...but it's still ranks high amongst knives carried. I have no evidence but I've always thought that the Spear is the original Barlow blade. It goes well with Clip & Sheepfoot but for me, it's made in Spearland:D

Here's a good example in carbon/sawn bone

393oVVu.jpg

Pw17IOD.jpg

Here''s one-its is Spear..;) That I was tremendously lucky to win in a legendary GAW from @Campbellclanman some years back, ace Duncan, ace!

t8pLTzo.jpg

Last edited:
Pàdruig Pàdruig A very attractive Shap that one:thumbsup: Admiring the tip rear bolster, an unusual effect and that Propeller shield, just made for Ebony plus it has rare covetable patina;)

Nice picture, GT and a great knife, I do like it a lot too.
Blade shape and thickness is just right on these old Canoes, really good slicers.
By chance I took a similar picture of mine during this winter.
Even after some use, the Indian in the Canoe stays visible, an advantage of the blade etching.
PS: The trees in your forest are growing upside down...?;)
22HiJME.jpg
I took that pic of the Case canoe about the time there was a thread discussing how some people were bothered by pics in which knives were shown with an open blade but the shield upside down.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/photographing-traditional-knives.1511050/#post-17353703
I rotated my photo 180 degrees in an effort to offend as few folks as possible. ;)

- GT

Not so very long ago, the Barlow seemed to be the fashionable choice on this Forum ;) I think it's been de-throned...but it's still ranks high amongst knives carried. I have no evidence but I've always thought that the Spear is the original Barlow blade. It goes well with Clip & Sheepfoot but for me, it's made in Spearland:D

Here's a good example in carbon/sawn bone

393oVVu.jpg

Pw17IOD.jpg

Here''s one-its is Spear..;) That I was tremendously lucky to win in a legendary GAW from @Campbellclanman some years back, ace Duncan, ace!

t8pLTzo.jpg

Love the handles on the Russell!!

image.jpg

I like both the Winchester coffin jack and the S&M heritage series jack but I never carry and use them.

The balloon (?) or swell centre frame jack at the top is an ICEL from Portugal, plastic scales, thin bolsters, steel liners, quite robust and great high carbon blade steel. Cheap, only fair fit and finish but great walk and talk. I wish I could still buy them, or wish I hadn't given away other ICELs that I thought I could replace easily.
I carried that one for about ten years straight, and used the hell out of it.

And a S&M grand daddy Barlow in ATS 34 :thumbsup:

Good thread idea Will! Great knives and pictures :) guys!

Michael

P.S. Pictured is about half my knife collection. I am quite impressed with the number and variety of beautiful knives some of you have.

Back