Spear Vala (Smatchet)

Karda

BANNED
Sometimes it is nice to bring back some of the old and unusual.
This is something that hasnt been produced since 2009.
Auntie has consented to produce a small run of the Spear Vala knife.
Most of you will recognise this design as a smatchet.
The original FS design and past runs of this knife have been 16.5 inches in length. We are thinking of making this run a little shorter at 14 inches.

Your questions and comments are most welcome. I'm posting this to try to get a gauge of interest in this model. Let us know what you think.

attachment.php

Last edited:
it seems interesting, how heavy is it? what does it look like edge on?

I'm interested:) I have always been a fan of the historical design process for that family of knives.

it seems interesting, how heavy is it? what does it look like edge on?

I cant find any pics of the H.I. models edge on and i tried to find some on google under "smatchet"....didnt find any right off.
Oddly though some other H.I. pics came up and B.C. molins avatar came up....:eek:

The weight of the last runs were 44oz and 45oz respectively.
I checked by tape measure and at 14" this run will still be quite a substantial knife and will be a tad lighter also.

Count me in as interested :)

Will depend on the time though and the price. Currently i am stretched kinda thin :/

Karda,
That's a beauty, I would also like to see the Panuti make a comeback if at all possible. Have not seen one as long as i have been here.

Karda,
That's a beauty, I would also like to see the Panuti make a comeback if at all possible. Have not seen one as long as i have been here.
The Spear Vala (Smatchet) doesn't appeal to me; if you are interested in bringing back blasts from the past I would be interested in a Sherpa knife.

Sorry Karda, gotta agree with heinlein. 44 ounces at 16 inches is a huge piece of steel, too much for me at least.

Thank you for the Vala post, Karda

Please guys....
Lets not fill this thread with other models please.
This threads purpose is to gauge interest in THIS model and for talk about making them shorter and lighter.
If you would like to see certain models, you are welcome to start a thread about them.

Super link Heinlein. I really enjoyed the pic's...I too would be interested in the Sherpa's knife if HI decided to bring it back...I would also be interested in this

BHIMSEN MODEL KNIFE from the link that Heinlein provided. I love the guards and it reminds of a butterfly sword..so one must have a matching pair...:)

Attachments

• 11-10-08 002.jpg
    11-10-08 002.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 97
Please guys....
Lets not fill this thread with other models please.
This threads purpose is to gauge interest in THIS model and for talk about making them shorter and lighter.
If you would like to see certain models, you are welcome to start a thread about them.

I'd take one, but would be even more interested if the blade were narrower and lighter. :thumbup: Oh, and a villager model! :thumbup::thumbup:

Andy

oops...posted too late again..sorry Karda...I thought it would be neat to add others that we liked also...:)

I'd take one, but would be even more interested if the blade were narrower and lighter. :thumbup: Oh, and a villager model! :thumbup::thumbup:

Andy
Yep, if the blade/weight ratio is increased significantly, let's say a 14 inch at 25-30 ounces, I'd be more interested. But I have little knowledge about the structure of the Smatchet, maybe it'd make it significantly thinner or something.

I too would prefer it to be villager finished...but that's how I like all my knives:p

Also, does it need that massive pommel? I would think that making it a standard chiruwa with a lanyard hole would make it more cost effect to produce as well as lighten it up a bit. I certainly wouldn't mind the smatchet being more tip heavy as it's not really a graceful fighting knife.

I do like the steel guard though.

this knife begs for a center spine or fuller. It would create a much more dynamic look with so much steel (even at the smaller size.)

I would like it with a villager style brushed finish or the true villager black forge scale.
I think you could do a chiruwa handle (dark wood) with lanyard hole--- it could be the third "pin". Around 15" long might be just about right.
And if the waranty was for field use that would be perfect.:)
I think the handle like they have on the khukuri but done so that is straight down the center line would give you the abbility to have it lock in for chopping, and yet still feel good when manipulating it around into different grips.
Khukuris and smatchets probably fought side by side in WW2, so having the chance to have my own does sound interesting. Having it made by HI really makes it hard to resist.
Smatchet or Vacation?
Guess the girlfriend better like steel.:eek::D
Just my two pennies to add to the pot.

Back