Spear Vala (Smatchet)

Looks interesting. If I'm lugging around 2 lbs of steel it had better be a sword, though. I believe you gentlemen are close to something workable.

This project has been set aside for the time being.
As soon as custom orders and backlog has been taken care of, we will pursue making the Spear Vala.

In the meantime we can further hash out the ideal length and weight that you all would like to see these come in at.
Now is the time to voice your concerns.

I've always founf this tpye of knife really interesting. At first look, it appears to be a complete reversal of everythign the desigers had originally stated, and yet with closer inspection, it all makes absolute perfect sense. need is the mother of all invention they say.

These kind of projects are really, really fun I think, especially for the fan community.

I could be totally offbeat and crazy, but I've been thinking a HI made version of teh Egyptian Khopesh sword would be absolutely tops! can you imaine it?!?

I think a 11"-12" blade and ~5" handle. About 4" wide at the widest spot. Maybe 32-34 oz. Since this a very much a tool I would like a chiruwa handle with the steel at the end of the pommel for hammering.

Auntie is getting close to turning in an order for these.
They will be 14" with maybe a 12" or two.
She will only be making a small run of about 5 or so pieces, unless there is far more interest.
I'm sorry the pics on these were lost.
Aunties picture host went out of business and they were lost with the account, along with many others.

Is there anything anyone would like to add?
Should we scrap the idea?

If they were shorter and narrower and balanced right it might be good for throwing...

I'm on board for one, Karda. HI "specials" are right up my alley.

I will try to get the Vala picture form shop manager.

I was able to restore a Vala pic from the "missing pages" .pdf file.
Hopefully, I can make some time to fix the missing pages thread.

Is this the right picture:
smatchet.jpg

I like the idea of a villager style finish with the mill scale still on the blade. The handle posted by Steve Tall looks good. Smaller and lighter also sounds promising.

I would think 2 different grinds on the blade would be useful also, say 1 edge convex, 1 edge full flat grind ? Thoughts Input ?
I like the idea of maybe a 12" 14" blade at most, shaped a bit like a wasp waisted gladius, or a Xiphos.
I would say keep the weight under 30-ish ounces, maybe 26 to 30 ounces.

Back