Spear Vala (Smatchet)

I think a 11"-12" blade and ~5" handle. About 4" wide at the widest spot. Maybe 32-34 oz. Since this a very much a tool I would like a chiruwa handle with the steel at the end of the pommel for hammering.

That would make it perfect...

Hey Steely,

You are correct. The smatchet is not in any way shape or form "GRACEFUL".

If you read the manual..." GET TOUGH!" by THE MAN, himself it becomes easy to understand that it was meant to slaughter the human form with he utmost savagery.

It was also meant to intimidate just by sight.

In fact the manual is extremely short and ,"to the point", (no pun intended)

Brutality was the name of the game.

From a personal note, I have killed wild boar with Mr. Harley's elegant "Battle Bowie". (The double edged version.)

A single thrust was enough to, "flip the switch" causing immense blood loss in seconds. From this experience I can tell you that the smatchet would be a gruesome talisman in battle, capable of severing limbs as wells as opening the abdomen and chest cavity with aplomb.

Even the judicious use of the pommel would cause immediate, and irreversible damage.

The smatchet was designed after the "special branches" of the BRITS and Yanks, (which would late become the SAS, and the OSS. Both groups spent a lot of time in central and north Africa, seeing the damage of the " primitive, leaf shaped swords and spears carried by native warriors.

If HI would produce a run of knives worthy of the "smatchet" moniker, I would have to buy numerous blades for friends and family. I am sure all of us feel the same way.

I expect this note became a rant of sorts. By that you can see me enthusiasm for the "red headed step-child" of the tactical knife world.

SHane

AND above all it was meant to raise the morale of the "smatchet armed soldier".

i saw a video of a masai ceremony where they killed a cow with a short jab behind it's elbow with a spear roughly the size of a smatchet. the cow collapsed in a couple of seconds. the roman army trained it's soldiers to use it's short swords with a quick jab to the breadbasket. a three inch deep jab was the goal for a quick kill and then they move on to the next.

the smatchet was really a short sword. weight should be around or under a pound and a half.

shane said:
...By that you can see me enthusiasm for the "red headed step-child" of the tactical knife world.

SHane

the original makers specified that the smatchet should be tempered in the urine of a red-headed scotsman... :D

Looking forward to this one. I'd like the blade to be a bit thinner, which will reduce the weight to something a bit faster, and I definitely would like a handle styled more like the khuks. I'm in for one when they get produced.

i am in for one

prefer the chiruwa handle construction personally. the hammering part isnt that important to me. but if you add a skull crusher and a thumb ramp that would be awesome. 1 sharp edge convex, fuller, 1 false edge to about middle of the blade

It's here!

HI SPEAR VALA BY BHAKTA KAMI

Overall length --14 1/8''
Weight --28 oz
Double edge
Steel guard
Chiruwa style satisal wood handle
Standard leather scabbard
Great work by Bhakta
Add to your collection at $195.

11-19-11%20003.jpg

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/900665-HI-Spear-Vala