Special Forces blades

Anything that can cut. SF guys have no real issue knife nor have they ever promoted a certain brand over another.

Its my understanding they carry whatever they want/can on a personal basis, or sometimes on a team basis.
I believe Strider's (Mick S. and Duane D. customs too), Emerson customs, Randalls, ATC 'hawks, and other, similar, higher-end, higher-quality, "high speed low drag" cutting tools are rather popular with the Special Forces crowd.

If any special forces member carried an Al Mar I'd expect it to be the Warrior design, and to have been a few years back. the current SERE fixed blade looks nice and has gotten really favourable reviews... so maybe its gaining some attention from the SF crowd, but I wouldnt know.

But like I said, no "Issue Knife" for the Special Forces as far as I know... if there is, its likely its the same as might be issued to other soldiers, which I guess would be the M9 bayo or a Ka-bar style thing.

The spec ops, spec forces guys can carry any personal piece they prefer. There are a lot carrying the ATC Vietnam Tactical and the ATC Next Generation Ranger. They're using them in place of the e-tool and they love it.

Knives, like the hawks, are personal preference and I don't believe one brand is promoted over another.

I'd like to see more of the spec ops guys posting to this thread because I'd love to hear first hand what they're carrying but I'm betting that a majority are "on the job".

My son-in-law's brother, a SF Captain (read Green Beret) was happy to take my MadDog ATAK Hunter with a Scott Hendryx custom sheath, and my Benchmade AFO. He felt well "cutleried".

Bruce Woodbury

From time to time there have been special knives created for elite units. This along with their distinctive uniforms and flashes have been used to develop an espirit de corps. Whatever the merits of the British WWII F/S dagger, or it's US counterpart the Case V-42, or of other specific issued knives such as the Chilean Corvo, and the Spanish Bolo for Special Operations Troops; the knives have become a distinctive part of the uniform, and a badge of merit.

None of this prevents well trained soldiers from using whatever tools are best suitable for the task.

n2s

one2gofst,

Just for you. :D

The top two are Chilean Corvos (the curvier one is supposed to be an officer's version). The bottom one is a fairly standard Jet Pilot's survival knife. This particular Jet Pilot's knife is an example of the type awarded by the Force Recon School during the Vietnam War. The training was provided in Vietnam and graduates of the program were awarded knives like these.

n2s

Attachments

• elite unit knives.jpg
    elite unit knives.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,274
N2,
Had the second one pictured,SF friend from 20TH. got it for me!!
Nice pics!! Man, you must have some collection of blades!!hee!
jim:D

Aren't the Canadian special forces carrying Wally Hayes' Wakizashis?

An Army Ranger Trainer I had the pleasure to meet carries a Greco MST Mark IV I believe.

Larry S.

Check out the related thread on the CRK forum. Chris is whipping up a batch of sharp things for SF troops right now ;)

Brent...
:p

All of the SF and former SF I know - which is quite a few, carry whatever they feel like. Most prefer to have either a SAK at all times or a multi-tool of some sort. For some, that is all they carry. Others carry larger, or smaller knives - folders of straight-edge depending on personal preference...
As for the Canadian SF - the only blade I know they have been issued is an SS Spyderco Endura. Many have added skateboard tape to the side without the clip.
None of the Canadians I have spoken to knew who Wally Hayes was - none have heard of his Wakizashi. I saw that article in Tactical Knives too...I'm not sure how realistic it was about who is carrying his blades...

Check the Chris Reeve forum, they are making a custom order knife to be issued to all future Special Forces graduates.

There is an active duty Green Beany on these forums, he is a fan of a knife from survivalknife.com. Haven't seen him around for a while, perhaps he's off to war.

Having never been a Ranger, I cant say for sure. But, I'm sure they would love to carry this new knife I just ordered for my Son who is a Marine, heading over to Okinawa(possibly further into the realm). Simonich Raven with 7" blade of Paul Bos heat treated S30V, blasted finish and super tacky feeling micarta grips. Heavy cordura sheath.

Danbo, knife for Marine is inbound. Thanks!

SF guys in OEF have used my knives in Afganistan and nocomplains sofar.............

I have read the forums now for about two years but never registered, always ment to but never got around to it. My cousin a current active duty ranger carries an Emerson Commander I got for him, a K-BAr next gen, a leatherman and occasionally his old AFCK, which I aslo gave him. Honestly he is not much of a knife nut and says repeatedly that any good knife is fine, its his Rifle he really depends on. Hes out and about even as we speak.

Brothers & Sisters of SF Steel,
Rob Simonich et alia,

Story goes that you could chase a long time to find the "right" Steel for yourself. Rob, your work will be shortening my trip!

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Back