Special Memorial Day

Very long story short, My Grandfather ( who was more like a father) lost his only two brothers in WWII. He always made it a point to remind me of the real meaning of Memorial Day. The only time I ever heard him mention either of them was to say I wish they’d find Ralph, who was his oldest brother. Fast foward to this past Feb. My Mother and Uncle were contacted about giving DNA samples to help identify remains thought to possibly be my Great Uncle. Even though I know it’s not for sure, I do know my Irish Grandfather is dancing in his grave. JIC

Tomorrow l’ll be especially drinking to Staff Sergeant Ralph J Kearney. And my Grandad.

Last edited:
So happy for you & your family.
Much Respect to Ralph & all Veterans that gave their all!
Be safe, & thank you for sharing!

Update to this thread: My Grandfathers Brother Ralphs remains were located and identified by DNA. He died from malaria in a POW camp and was buried in a mass grave in Manila. He should be returning home in the near future for proper burial.

Last edited:
Update to this thread: My Grandfathers Brother Ralph’s remains were located and identified by DNA. He died from malaria in a POW camp and was buried in a mass grave in Manila. He should be returning home in the near future for proper burial.

This is so wonderful to hear.
So much sacrifice with little thoughts for self, to give us all the little and big things taken for granted.

Drift Draft, Thank you for sharing this news. Blessings to your family.

God Bless all of our veterans and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice, we are so deeply indebted. Without that sacrifice, it is near certain that many of us would not be enjoying the freedoms that we have today. So many families have been forced to continue moving forward without their loved ones by their side. So many have sacrificed so much for all of us.

Jerry

A drink to all those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for us and our country, the greatest experiment the world has seen. Drift Draft, I am happy for your family.

That’s beautiful that they will be able to give your great uncle the burial he deserves. I bet your grandfather will rest easier for it.

Back