Special Run Bokers

MaxRichards

Knife Collector
So, what makes the "Special Run" Boker Knives special? What I mean, of course, is besides the premium 'ingredients' and limited nature, does anyone have an idea if they hold their value long term? Is this Boker's version of BM's "Gold Class"? Just ordered a Special Run Model 13, but I'm wondering if anyone collects the Special Run knives and what your experiences with them have been?

Thanks in advance!

You can´t compare our Special Runs with BM´s Gold Class.

Of course, there are some Special Runs with more exclusive materials, but sometimes, it is just a more exotic variation of materials, colors or elselike.

So they are not necessarily more expensive than the according standard model; some of the Special Runs are meant as pure users/EDCs.

Special Runs are always limited, usually to 199 pcs. worldwide, but we had some smaller limitations as well, down to 100 pcs. or even 50 pcs.

So it´s hard to tell in general about the value they might keep for the future.

One example: the first time we used Mokuti in serial production was the Model 67, designed by Jens Anso. It was oly 50 pcs. being made of that knife.

It was a Titanium Framelock, with a full front scale made out of Mokuti, and a CPM blade.

71D4nH0-ssL._SL1500_.jpg

The German catalogue price was 600 Euro, and it was sold out within 2 days.

A year later, a German collector called me, and asked about that model. He found one on the aftermarket, and it was on offer for 1000 Euro.

That collector who called me was a Jens Anso collector, and he told me that this was the only Anso Boker knife missing in his collection.

He asked me if the knife was worth that price.

The only answer I could give was, that if he was a serious collector, and this was the only missing piece in his collection, it is worth that price specifically for him.

He bought it and was pretty happy afterwards. :)

Of course, this story can´t be seen as the general direction, but I´m sure other pieces will rise in value as well.

If you have a look at the (sold out) Model 10 Special Run from Les Voorhies, being made only 100 pieces, I´m sure this won´t be a bargain on the aftermarket as well, if you are so glad to find one:

STANDARD-2549159a02397744a6-600x500.jpg

So you see, it all depends... ;-)

But I hope my explanations and the little story made our philosophy with the Boker Special Runs a bit more transparent and understandable.

You can´t compare our Special Runs with BM´s Gold Class.

But I hope my explanations and the little story made our philosophy with the Boker Special Runs a bit more transparent and understandable.

beagleboy beagleboy I appreciate the in-depth response. The Special Run series do, indeed, seem to be in a class of their own, and from what you said they seem, in certain cases, to appreciate in value on the secondary market, especially for the more unique-material-made ones. The design philosophy looks to be quite unique as well.

Does anyone in the forum collect/own any Special Runs?

Back