Speed checks, "pass it down", proxies, please read.

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We all love the thrill of the Friday sales and there has been a fun past-time of seeing where you would come in with a post even if you're not actually buying a knife in the sale. That's all well and good and I encourage folks to have a good time if it's not hurting anything.

It has been brought to my attention that some of our Friday sales are relatively brisk and there appears there may be some minor issues with the forum software dealing with the little bump in volume we see sometimes at a certain time on Fridays. This is causing some folks to get error messages. This is causing some people who are new to CPK to become frustrated and walk away. If ten posts out of the first 30 are speed bumps it seems pretty clear to me it's contributing to the problem. So if you're not there to place an order I would ask you folks to please refrain from posting in sale threads for a while until the sales cool down a little or until the forum software is able to keep up better.

Also, a proxy is fine, but if you're posting a proxy without actually having set up a proxy yet and end up "passing it down" instead you may be contributing to the problem as well, in addition to creating clutter for Jo. Jo is getting frazzled with the additional volume we're producing. When Jo gets frazzled she murders kittens to blow off steam. If you contribute to her mental decline those dead kittens are on you.

All of this was never a problem when we were smaller and it was just a few folks, but it might be getting a little out of hand now, so I would ask that we scale it back a bit. I'm sure some folks might not see this thread or may forget and that's fine, but if we could just scale it back a little I think it would help.

Lastly, if you could edit your post from the place holder text to an actual order it would help.

None of this is a big deal. Knife collecting is supposed to be fun and I'm not here to tell folks what to do. But these are some suggestions that might help out a little while the sales are so brisk.

Very sensible suggestions, though I’d argue this has been a problem for years.

I can’t imagine a more tolerant Mod or Sub, but in before:

This is a free country and I do what I want!

Anyone want to take a bet if we see someone ignore the suggestion on the sale?

That will be an easy bet to lose because ignorance is bliss and people won't read. I know that Nathan has a chill person but I have also often said that if you make a claim, just say something other than jargon / rubbish / gibberish so that new comers do not take this as a practice condoned and encouraged by the seller. For Nathan to request that folks at the very least try to correct and edit that rightaway instead of Jo having to do some mid reading is a step in the right direction :thumbsup:

Great post Nathan. Long overdue in my opinion.

I personally have never posted anything in the sale threads unless I was trying to buy because I respect that these threads are your “place of business” and I shouldn’t interfere unless I am conducting business. Win or lose on any given Friday, I am content to try my luck on my own and accept the results. I understand why folks need proxies occasionally, but I feel the process is way overused as a matter of convenience for the buyers and a sense of prideful power for some of the regular proxy posters.

I have held off sharing my opinion on these matters because I accepted the fact that you can run your place of business however you and Jo want. I believe the changes you posted above will go a long way to make the buying process more fun and efficient for everyone involved.

Thanks!

Phil

I think as the interests have grown it has to be alot more stressful for all of CPK ... but know it has to make Jo's job deciphering the sale threads ... and just in my dealings with Jo ... she must be a saint going out of her way to try to get everyone exactly what they want.

I wish I could buy the whole CPK a round or dinner ... not many go above and beyond like y'all do.

It has been brought to my attention that some of our Friday sales are relatively brisk

H2mj8Lk.jpg

We all love the thrill of the Friday sales and there has been a fun past-time of seeing where you would come in with a post even if you're not actually buying a knife in the sale. That's all well and good and I encourage folks to have a good time if it's not hurting anything.

It has been brought to my attention that some of our Friday sales are relatively brisk and there appears there may be some minor issues with the forum software dealing with the little bump in volume we see sometimes at a certain time on Fridays. This is causing some folks to get error messages. This is causing some people who are new to CPK to become frustrated and walk away. If ten posts out of the first 30 are speed bumps it seems pretty clear to me it's contributing to the problem. So if you're not there to place an order I would ask you folks to please refrain from posting in sale threads for a while until the sales cool down a little or until the forum software is able to keep up better.

Also, a proxy is fine, but if you're posting a proxy without actually having set up a proxy yet and end up "passing it down" instead you may be contributing to the problem as well, in addition to creating clutter for Jo. Jo is getting frazzled with the additional volume we're producing. When Jo gets frazzled she murders kittens to blow off steam. If you contribute to her mental decline those dead kittens are on you.

All of this was never a problem when we were smaller and it was just a few folks, but it might be getting a little out of hand now, so I would ask that we scale it back a bit. I'm sure some folks might not see this thread or may forget and that's fine, but if we could just scale it back a little I think it would help.

Lastly, if you could edit your post from the place holder text to an actual order it would help.

None of this is a big deal. Knife collecting is supposed to be fun and I'm not here to tell folks what to do. But these are some suggestions that might help out a little while the sales are so brisk.
Dammit, I over did it with the Conan, didn't I?

That's sig-line worthy material right there! :eek: ;) :D

Naw man, I don't think you follow. I'm not saying the weight of the death of those kittens will be on you. I mean those dead kittens will be on you. She will come to your home and put dead kittens on you. You don't want that. Nobody wants that. So folks need to straighten up and fly right. Or dead kittens.

Back