Speed Queen washers

Are the Speed Queen clothes washers worth the extra money ?
Looking at the prices of washers they seem to be like vehicles - the more gadgets the higher the price !

I doubt it, most higher end washers don't even have agitators now. I bought an inexpensive GE that still has an agitator and it cleans better than my previous $800 Maytag. It's noisier but leaves no lint on clothes and the water level can be set (most barely fill with enough water to cover the load).

Not many top load/ w agitator types are fond in the rest of the world .
Any other brands of reasonable price even front load worth looking at ?

Happy with mine, bought on the recommendation of several of my and my wife's family members. Dealer who is an aquaintence of my wife said they had the least issues of what they sell. Only major issue was when a delivery truck slammed on the brakes and trashed a whole trailer load because they shifted violently enough to cause damage.

We have been very pleased with the cleaning, rinse and spin dry level of our LG top load washer and the matching dryer. We had a front load Maytag washer/dryer pair, but had balance issues with the washer that no one could fix.

Basement flooded last year and we lost our 20 year-old Maytags. Replaced with Maytags because they were on sale, and with top loaders because they're all that fits in our laundry room. They're current production and I like them, so I'll give model numbers: MVWB765FW and MGDB765FW (gas dryer). The washer is not "high efficiency," it has an agitator and it works great. It uses about ⅓ the water and it extracts so well that t-shirts dry in 10 minutes. Recommended.

The deed is done ! In a week I'll have a new Speed Queen ! Yes I suppose I'm retro but it has fewer whislles and bells . Thanks for the comments.

The last Speed Queen we owned was in the mid 70's. I just looked them up, a thousand dollar washing machine makes me gasp. I think I paid $125 for ours (it was a great machine).

We've owned a Speed Queen washer and dryer for at least five years (I have two teenagers). I swear by them. They are built like tanks (or more likely boat anchors). No bells or whistles, but they work. My son (bless his soul) forgets to take stuff out of his pockets and to take his belt out of his pants. He's washed and dried belts, iWatches, Legos, thumbdrives, wallets, money, coins, and other random crap teenagers cram in their pockets. Aside from replacing the latch on the dryer door (interestingly, the dryer worked without the latch, it just bothered me...and we didn't need a technician to fix it), they just keep rolling along.

I have yet to see a high efficiency washer that can match our current top loading Maytag, which is going on 10 years old. Our previous top loading speed queens lasted over 20 years. I think using more water is a plus, not a minus. Our washer is the furthest thing on the sewer line from the street, so when we wash, the water helps keep the line clear. Water is cheap, cleaning out plugged sewer lines is not.

Back