Spend $50

For me, I think I'd pick one of three.
If we include used ones, I just picked this used 301 up for Cheap and a new SAK Pioneer, They make a pretty good pair.
zwacCsfm.jpg

Right from the store, I'd probably either go for a 110LT and again a Victorinox Pioneer. But that pushes me a few dollars over budget, so maybe I'd agree with the Opinel already mentioned... :rolleyes:
kQhZUlhm.jpg

I guess the one thing we can agree on is that SAK are some of the best options in the lower price ranges.

Buck 389 Canoe. I don't remember if it was 19.98 or $21.88. I bought it in 2015.
Buck 371 Bare Head Stockman with Black n' Blue covers. also 2015 vintage. I'm pretty sure this one set me back $21.95.
(both were carried several consecutive months as my EDC when I was still driving the expedited box truck. I was rather fond of paydays that happened when a Wally's was near by.)

View attachment 1441792

(as you can see, the black n' blue ain't a bruise.)

This is so easy. Since my favourite knife maker, Fontenille Pataud, is excluded, as their low end knives are nearly $200.00, I would use $50.00 to buy an Opinel No. 8 and a Victorinox Spartan. These are mine:
pkjYqEW.jpg

3LhbvEC.jpg

The Opinel is the standard beechwood and carbon steel for $15, and the Spartan is a souvenir from the Shiner brewery for $30.00. $5.00 left over for beer. If I were buying them again, I would buy the Opinel with olive wood handle and stainless steel ($24.00), and the standard Spartan ($24.00).

A good alternative would be a Case trapper. Bought this one for $48.99 a couple of years ago:
Nr80GIq.jpg

Been having a few Forum Free Days ;) but this thread is far too interesting to leave alone.

Challenge. Stick a nought/zero on the end of this price limit and I'd suggest going for a grossly inflated flipped GEC with a comb :D or many other standard FOMO patterns. Not.

Decided to opt for Euro knives, SAKS and Opinels are strong contenders but let's try a different tack.

https://www.marttiini.fi/epages/Mar...jectPath=/Shops/MarttiiniShop/Products/127012

Marttiini Puukko costs around 29 € here, quite possibly less in the USA and you've a choice of stainless or carbon, same price. Decent basic working puukko and a very good sheath that won't lose your knife nor jab you in the ribs or gut when you sit down:eek:

With about 21 € left ( yeah I know it's worth more than the Dollar, but fudge factor) Anyway, you can certainly get these in the US for about 25 USD so I say MERCATOR Black Cat knife and I'd choose the stainless version as folding knives metal handles, you don't want the rust turning up. A simple but tough lockback that's been around for a very long time.

UhJjU7K.jpg

Stefan S has a worthwhile video on the Kaiser Wilhelm Knife an you can see it has a long Traditional pedigree but is still available today at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Very cool thread. I like the combinations people have chosen. These would make a fun stocking stuffer. I sort of chosen a SVord Peasant and a Douk Douk Squirrel, maybe a little left over to get an Opinel. While talking of finding used treasures, I did not spend money but chose a few knives from a box giveaway or passaround, that I think would add up to the amount. Two Boker Barlows, the pic has another knife but that would add to the amount or be a combination.
IMG_0437.JPG

Coincidentally, I made an order earlier this week, so I can list what I bought for $50. (No photos because the knives haven't arrived yet. The first knife on the list is an Italian work knife with 3" sheepsfoot blade.)
Product Quantity Price
CEM Cutlery Agriculture Folder Bubinga (3") 1 $14.49
Rough Ryder Tobacco Road Canoe 1 $13.49
Rough Ryder All-Stripe Sowbelly 1 $12.49
Rough Ryder Mini Canoe Amber Jigged 1 $8.49

Total is $48.96. (When I file my state taxes next year, I'll have to pay 6% state sales tax on the order, so that will push it over $50.)

Also, I left off the list a $30 Case Sodbuster Jr and a $25 RR cinnamon stag bone damascus canoe that were included in my order; that pair would make another fine $50+ combo.

- GT

Back