Spend $50

I have to agree with those that said their $50.00 would be best spent on purchasing a quality vintage knife.
I'm especially fond of Case knives made in the 70's. Super well made knives and absolutely beautiful to boot.

I picked up this (almost new) Case Dogleg Jack for less than $50.00 and had money left over for a really nice lunch. :D

Coincidentally, I made an order earlier this week, so I can list what I bought for $50. (No photos because the knives haven't arrived yet. The first knife on the list is an Italian work knife with 3" sheepsfoot blade.)
Product Quantity Price
CEM Cutlery Agriculture Folder Bubinga (3") 1 $14.49
Rough Ryder Tobacco Road Canoe 1 $13.49
Rough Ryder All-Stripe Sowbelly 1 $12.49
Rough Ryder Mini Canoe Amber Jigged 1 $8.49

Total is $48.96. (When I file my state taxes next year, I'll have to pay 6% state sales tax on the order, so that will push it over $50.)

Also, I left off the list a $30 Case Sodbuster Jr and a $25 RR cinnamon stag bone damascus canoe that were included in my order; that pair would make another fine $50+ combo.

- GT

GT!! So good to see your avi pop up! I feel like this thread was made for you. You're a master at finding value for dollar, and I know your collection could be used to make a book of such "$50 combo" treasures. Hope you're well, my friend.

Other than a couple of GECs, "Spend $50" almost exactly describes my 2020 knife purchases, year-to-date. Since my hobby budget for the remainder of the year has already been mapped out and does not fit this thread's criteria, I though I would share the following:

From L to R three Vics, the first two were $10 each, a 74mm Ambassodor & 100mm Gardener.
The third one was $17, a new in package 84mm Vic Sportsman.

D2HawwN.jpg

At $37 total ya can't beat SAKs for, "The Most Bang for the Buck", kind of shopping!

The fourth addition to the flock this year puts me slightly over the $50 limit but it's been such a fantastic discovery for me and the only other non-GEC purchase this year it is mentioned here to show what can be done without spending a fortune.

Also at $17 dollars a most amazing slicer, the venerable Schrade Muskrat.
dhCCOl3.jpg

These may all be inexpensive knives but they were selected not for their cost but for their excellent knife qualities and character and all four have delivered in spades.

Last edited:
I have to agree with those that said their $50.00 would be best spent on purchasing a quality vintage knife.
I'm especially fond of Case knives made in the 70's. Super well made knives and absolutely beautiful to boot.

I picked up this (almost new) Case Dogleg Jack for less than $50.00 and had money left over for a really nice lunch. :D
Is one a group? That is a super find. Who needs more than one when you've got that in your pocket.

I picked up a couple 70's era Case delrin #18 minty stockmans for a tad under $50 lately on eBay ... I was one to resist the lore of the 70's Case's, but I'm totally sold - these are dramatically nicer than late model 18's I've had (bolster hafting is so much slimmer, no blade rub, fit and finish is amazingly good) ... there are still minty ones out there that can be had in this price range. Plus the slightly shorter frame, pen blade in lieu of a spey, diabolically nice snap & more appealing clip trips my trigger -->

wPKOvQo.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with the 'buy an old knife' crowd. I've been buying stuff that's somewhat out of favor. I've recently picked up an Ulster, a Kabar, and a Parker Jack Knife Ben in the $50.00 price range, all nice knives.

I'd probably take my $50 down to the local knife shop to see if I could find a nice, used traditional. Or, maybe I'd just order something by Case in yellow Delrin. Hey, now that I mention that ...

I tried to decide. I really did. That Case single blade Sowbelly is hard to resist. Then there is what I consider one of the best deals in the knife world with Buck's 110. Then again you have quite a few different Victorinox knives to choose from. and on and on... and that is just the first 30 seconds of thought. Not even getting into the multiples of less expensive knives like the Mora's or Opinel's.

Sadly not that many interesting choices here and international shipping takes big part of the 50. I would get something from these options.

Rough Rider VG10 trapper for 49.
RR work knife sodbuster and copper series teardrop for 49
RR buckshot trapper and small g10 toothpick for 50.
RR red pick bone trapper and copperhead for 50.
Boker Juliet and RR small brass lockback and my local store branded mineral knife oil for 46.

And if it could be more from my region 50 EUR instead of USD, I'm getting another Manly Comrade D2 without a second thought. It is a bit boring, but very good quality and the best slipjoint daily beater that I have tried.

Sadly not that many interesting choices here and international shipping takes big part of the 50. I would get something from these options.

Rough Rider VG10 trapper for 49.
RR work knife sodbuster and copper series teardrop for 49
RR buckshot trapper and small g10 toothpick for 50.
RR red pick bone trapper and copperhead for 50.
Boker Juliet and RR small brass lockback and my local store branded mineral knife oil for 46.

And if it could be more from my region 50 EUR instead of USD, I'm getting another Manly Comrade D2 without a second thought. It is a bit boring, but very good quality and the best slipjoint daily beater that I have tried.
Man those prices are crazy.

GT!! So good to see your avi pop up! I feel like this thread was made for you. You're a master at finding value for dollar, and I know your collection could be used to make a book of such "$50 combo" treasures. Hope you're well, my friend.
Thanks, Shawn. :) I'm doing fine, thanks, although during this pandemic, I've switched to a more noncommittal "So far, so good." :rolleyes:
It was good to see your post about the abalone Peanut in the "cult " thread recently. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I was looking online at a canoe with abalone covers, from Queen City. But I'm quite sure it's a Chinese "Queen City" made for SMKW that owns the name now, and I suspect the "abalone" is an artificial look-alike.

- GT

Man those prices are crazy.
They are, but it is standard in Europe to have double the US prices or even more if something is popular, already expensive that only determined hobbysts will buy anyway or not many places have it. Still I am glad I can find Rough Riders at all here. Most stores don't have them or any other traditionals. Other than RR there are few Schrades and Elk Ridge, but only with synthetic or bone imitation handles, so I'm not interested and real bone RRs are also cheaper. Store clerks say they won't import more because slipjoints are for countries with strict law restrictions. And since we have very few limits almost everyone asks for flippers, autos or these awful assisted.

I looked some more what else I can get for $50 and I found something quite interesting that I never paid much attention to. Victorinox Alox Swiss Army 1 and Floral. Around $44 for both with shipping. I never checked what Victorinox has because I'm not interested in multitools but these 2 single blades look nice and I think I might get them if there won't be anything interesting on a november sale. Now if only they added +$5 and made Alox Floral. I'm not a fan of plastic, but that blade shape looks great.

That looks like a TL-29 with an added hawkbill blade. Really interesting - can you please show and tell a little more about that one? Thanks!

-Tyson

I don't have that knife yet. It's on it's way. That was the sellers picture. I don't really need another one. But this one looks so clean and unused. It would be hard to go wrong for $15.

The knife was made by Colonial. They made both a two blade, and a three blade version of the electrician's knife. Exactly why I have no idea, but I have examples of both. I also don't know if anyone else made a three blade version. It is like you said a TL-29 style knife with the addition of a hawkbill blade.

O.B.

Back