Spent the afternoon cutting Oak

I've been checking my axe edges for 2-3 years and will change the angle a little if I find it curling, having not hit anything but wood. I've read on this forum that some set there ax edge at 17* and I tried this with poor results. As I cut some oak limbs it would curl. So, I've been increasing the angle. First to 18*, found this was not good. I still noticed the same problem. Then to 19*, better but no cigar. Then I went on
to 19.5-20*-22* and this is where I found the sweet spot. This edge angle holds up better and still gives me a good slicing cut. With no curling
on the edge. This is consistent with my Mann axe, a Wards Master Quality and my Hults Bruks. The Hults is the hardest to sharpen on a Norton India stone. The steel cuts slow. Maybe some others are cutting wood that's not as hard as oak.? DM

Last edited:
It being a nice day today, I was out cutting some oak. I used my Hults for the limb work and splitting. It work fine, I didn't have any real big
rounds to split. At 4 lbs. it's a good all around ax to use. I now have 1 cord in the barn and 2 cords outdoors curing. So, I've got my wood for next winter ready. DM
Hults10.jpg

It's a 22 mag. loaded with rat shot. Because the dogs found some rats scurrying in those brush piles. Then I thought they were gone and I
started up the chain saw. Well, they weren't and the dogs had some real fun... One never knows what will happen, out cutting wood on a nice
Spring day. DM

They are pecan trees, that can make it in climate zone 6. Yes, the rats and rabbits will eat the bark off the young trees. Then deer will eat the
leaves. I'll be cutting further up as we go. I think I'll take my Ward's Master Quality ax next for the limb work. It is looking like I'll have all my next winter's wood cut right through here. It feels good being at this point in the Spring. Then I'm just stacking it and allowing it to cure outdoors until Sept.. Then move it into the barn. Thank you, DM

gben, good for you. If you can get out and do stuff like this (being shut in)it is great for several reasons. It helps our mind and body deal
with everything. Then later keeps us warm. DM

Today I fell some more 12" size live oaks and Emory oaks. I used my Hults for the limb and brush work. I clear enough brush to fell it. Then work the limbs with my ax and when this is done I return to the chain saw and cut it up to burning size. There will be some to split now & later.
I have time to let the logs cure. I have over 3 cords on the ground now. So, this month I'll finish up my wood for next winter and more. This Hults is a good general duty ax. Plus, with us in isolation I have plenty to do and keep my mind and body busy. Good exercise. DM
Hults13.jpg

Last edited:
Today I got that oak all cut up and the one next to it. Plus, hauled off all the limbs. I had a visitor come and watch. This coatimundi. DM
View attachment 1315117

Well, David, another new thing I learned about on the Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Forum. I have not heard of the Coatimundi until this posting. Forced me to looking it up and learn something in my advancing age. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have noticed that after a day of limb work and cutting brush, (shinnery oak, skunk bush, other shrubs) and some splitting which means the ax will pass into the ground, some touch up sharpening is needed at the start of the next day. It doesn't matter if I sharpen with a file or take it to the fine India, the edge is worn by the end of the day. This area is mostly sand and few rocks are present. Just my observations. DM

Back