Spent the day with my Little Hen Bowie

I had a chance to use my Little Hen bowie today. Man that is one great knife. Ron Leuschen left a little extra on the handle for me so I can slide back a little extra to clear brus. But it is so balanced that I could whittle with it. Imagine, whittlin with an eight inch blade ;)

Ron has a real talent for combining simple materials to end up with a unique whole. Every line seems to grow from the others and your eyes naturally follow each line smoothly from beginning to end.

standard.jpg

That is one gorgeous knife! How about some specifics.... steel, handle material etc. GORGEOUS!

Okay here goes

It has an 8" differentially quenched blade forged from O-1 steel. The handle is burled maple (nice piece of wood!) with a copper guard and ebony and white micarta spacers. Great balance, and boy does it hold an edge.

Ron has a new line of little hunters that have a burled maple handle and a 3" forged, diferentially tempered O-1 blade that will be selling for $60.00 US. Man, a hand made knife for about the same you'd spend at WallyWorld.

You can reach him at little_hen_knives@hotmail.com

The Little Hen knives definitely have a style all their own, with that characteristic handle shape. It looks great for a using knife, and when a gorgeous piece of wood like that is used, it's even better! :)

That really is a beauty. Although it didn't come out in the picture, it looks like it has a very nice hamon.

A hamon is basically a hardening line, the transition from hard to soft.
That knife that jim is showing was clay hardened to show up a nice "hamon" basically you pack high temp clay on the blade where you want it to stay soft, then heat treat as you normally would. It give a real nice hardening line where the steel goes from hard to soft!It also increases the strength of the blade by making the spine more flexible than it would be at full hard.
Thanks for the great words guys!

Yeah that's a beauty.., thanks for atll the pictures and detail...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Originally posted by ExamonLyf
Yeah that's a beauty.., thanks for atll the pictures and detail...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

If you're a hunter you need to check out Ron's line of Little Hunting Knives. He makes a custom knife for less than you'd spend on some of the ones at WallyWorld.
jim

Back