Spey Blade???

What do you guys use them for?

I personally am not a fan and really wish they would replace them with a coping, wharncliffe, sheeps foot, or really any blade type that seems more useful than a spey.....

So are there any on here that see a particular value in the spey blade?

Not for they're intended use... I use it for food related activites. Like a butter knife but sharp. Clip/other blade for any other type of cutting needed. If you have no need for that, you can always grind down the tip into a sheepscliffe :)

They can be useful for whittling. The very upswept belly can be used almost like a chisel, for example to hollow out a spoon. Or to take off the bandage after donating blood (try that with a wharncliffe or clip blade without further bloodloss :D)
And you can convert them quite easily to a spear blade (in most cases) or like Trand said into something straight (depending on the nailnick placement).

They can be useful for whittling. The very upswept belly can be used almost like a chisel, for example to hollow out a spoon. Or to take off the bandage after donating blood (try that with a wharncliffe or clip blade without further bloodloss :D)

When I was a kid and whittled in scouts I had a stockman and found that it was perfect for scooping when whittling. If you sharpen the entire curve/belly, it is also good for surface planing to remove blemishes on wood.

Now, I seem to use it more for a cigar cutter than anything. Silly as it sounds, I like the old fashioned "V" cut on the cap side that was favored by cigar smokers when they wore a cigar knife or cutter on their watch chain. I have a few stockman/cattleman patterns and that is alway the sharpest blade on the knife for that reason.

Robert

They can also be handy for skinning. But I hear you - there is definitely a shortage of wharncliffe options available, imo. Especially on double-blade slip joints of 3.5" - 4" in closed length, with pinched bolsters, red jigged bone, 8 out of 10 springs, and 1095 steel. :D

I agree. I know that others use them, but I rarely do.

I would be much rather have a wharncliff or sheep's foot.

I don't care for the little short speys like on a medium or small stockman type knife. I think a pen would work better on those patterns. I do like the ones on the trappers though. Long slicing blade with a rounded edge will work better than a pointy tip like a wharncliffe for getting peanut butter, mayo, butter, jelly, deviled ham out of a jar, or skinning game. They make a good food prep knife. They are also less likely to penetrate deep if you become a little careless.

Honestly, I'd rather have a spey on a trapper type knife than a wharncliffe. I love the way a wharncliffe looks, but can't ever seem to justify buying a knife with one because I see the spey more useful..... provided it's long. I don't see much use in a short wharncliffe either though.

My Spey blades are always kept the sharpest, I use 'em like a scalpel, shaving off calluses, trimming hang nails, even cutting out splinters.

Now that I think about it it usually always gets used to cut flesh of some kind.

My Spey blades are always kept the sharpest, I use 'em like a scalpel, shaving off calluses, trimming hang nails, even cutting out splinters.

Now that I think about it it usually always gets used to cut flesh of some kind.

And these few words conjure pictures that are worth thousands of words. :o

similar to what others have already said, the spey blade on my lg trapper gets pbj duty, and stays pretty dull. Opened a bandage with it once and cut the living shtink out myself just an inch up from the original wound. Haven't sharpened it since.

As I may or may not have said before, the thing I find most interesting is how polarizing the spey blade seems to be. Most folks are indifferent, a very few are fond of it, and a few more see no use for it whatsoever.

I like them just fine once the back side of the blade is worked a little bit to make them more "pointy"...it's my go to blade for opening boxes, piercing cuts into plastic packaging and other detail cutting tasks...

I will second the food preppers and whittlers:)

That what I use mine for also, they have become one of my favorite blades. Although I much prefer the longer full size speys. They just look good too, and I like being able to cut with the "upswept" part of the tip

Back