Spotting a fake Shirogorov 95

I recently had a member ask me how to spot a fake shirogorov 95. I made this comparison photo to help him out, and I figured I'd share it with the rest of the forum so some of you guys don't get duped.

The milling pattern is very complex on a 95 and it's easy to be fooled if you don't know what you're looking for.

The real 95's have a more "sloped" appearance in the milling near the pivot, sloping drastically towards the edge.

The fakes have a pattern that's more parallel to the handle, pointing more towards the tip of the blade. There are other tell-tales of fakeness in the milling pattern if you look carefully, but at first glance they look nearly identical.

Also, the fakes have a more "square" looking flipper tab while the real 95's look more "rounded".

I don't care how you feel about Chinese clones, keep the China bashing outta here. This is to inform people that have considered buying a 95. If anybody has any other tips for spotting fake shirogorov's, this is the thread for it.

not my pictures, I just modified them "Madden" style
C50CAAC9-91BC-4BCB-81CD-7C205F7EEA66_zpsynqjpi35.jpg

E9EF1191-031D-4AD5-8118-2CB09B9BC9A1_zpshnss5m9t.jpg

Stay sharp guys:thumbup:

I had not considered purchasing one but the more you know :thumbup:

I will also add that while the specific placement of some of the milling lines has changed from one generation to the next of the 95, the shaping of each of the lines, and how all of the corners are done in each milled recess, have always been the same, so if you see one that has the weird triangular corner, like the fake BluesBrother posted, than that is almost certinaly a fake.

And of course one of the easiest ways to tell the difference is to take the knife apart if it has bearings. Shirogorov uses a system in which the bearings are held by a steel collar when the knife it assembled, but the bearings themselves are not actually caged, and will be free once you take the knife apart. If you have bearings in a knife that claims to be a Shirogorov, and those bearings are held in a cage system like GTC bearings, then you have a fake.

On the latest generation 95, the milling slant is more in line with the fake from above, but it will have a small circular cutout on the lockside right next to the insert screw. I have also noticed that they have started jimping the spine, while still doing a completely full flat grind. Whereas before, if you had the jimping, it was about 95% full flat. Ill post pictures in a bit.

Well if you have the stones to pull the knife apart when you get it the chinese clones will not have a bearing system that can be compared to e original. K. John makes a double row bearing 95 clone but it has no shiro markings and the bearings look identical to the drb units being used by other chinese brands. Most real shiros these days will have identifying marks inside the handle slabs to signify the pivot system used. So far i have not seen the fakes replicate those marks. The lock bar insert on many of the replicas are cut via edm and so the area where the detent ball os press fit will appear to be cracked but its really a slit that alows it to accept a detent ball and flex. To me it seemed like a short cut rather than having to drill the hole for the detent ball precisely. The thing to never forget is that they now make clones of every style of knife that shirogorov has made to date sans a few very intricate customs. And they can be had in varying degrees of accuracy. I would worry more about buying custom shiros more because slight variances will be promoted by scammers as being different because it is custom.

Last edited:
The below is 2015 model,not fake.

No the milking is not shaped properly, and the logo is incorrect. There is some variation between the different milking patterns, as I said above, but that is NOT one of the patterns ever used.

Not to mention that the releuf cut for the access to the lockbar is not made properly in the bottom one, nor is the flipper tab or blade profile.

Last edited:
The below is 2015 model,not fake.

You should really be sure of something like that because people are going to take your word for it. And no matter how sure you think you are right now its a fake. In fact if i am not mistaken that picture is directly from a site that sells the clones. If someone sold you one as 2015 model id be very persistent about getting your money back.

I can spot a clone most days but the surer way is still to take the knife apart and look at the bearings. But I guess this fake spotting might be for the benefit of those who can only look at pictures and have not seen a real shiro yet as they are contemplating to buy one.. in this case

For those fake shiro where the bear logo is etched on the handle like the F95-- the bear head looks a little emancipated. (thinner, more pointy and looks more like a cat than a bear to me). Also the clones can't get all the details inside the "nose" on the logo head as far as I can see be it whichever of the clone models that as it on the handle.

Those etched onto the blade (seen a "hati" clone)-- the logo is actually better defined than the originals but slightly smaller.

Last but not least.. those clones that have a logo often do not state the type of steel on the reverse side. I have only seen one pic before that says "M390"- but its quite apparent the font used is not the usual used on original Shiros.

Last edited:
can anyone post a picture of the lockup on a genuine 95? The reason I ask Is after checking out pics of some of the fakes I noticed many of the fakes of the 95 actually have a lockbar insert that is significantly shorter than the actual lockbar. The lockbar is actually so long that it would touch the side of the tang rather than interfacing with it. After extended years of wear lock rock is well inevitable as it will prevent the gradual travel of the lock as it wears. Granted with a lockbar insert it may be several years before needing to worry about it but it still seems illogical to build a knife that way. Does shiro actually make its knives like that?

I'm glad everyone has left all this feedback! It good to point out these small differences, it could save someone a lot of time/money:thumbup:

I'm by no means a Shirogorov expert, I just noticed this obvious difference in the milling of the fakes. Keep the info coming guys!

can anyone post a picture of the lockup on a genuine 95? The reason I ask Is after checking out pics of some of the fakes I noticed many of the fakes of the 95 actually have a lockbar insert that is significantly shorter than the actual lockbar. The lockbar is actually so long that it would touch the side of the tang rather than interfacing with it. After extended years of wear lock rock is well inevitable as it will prevent the gradual travel of the lock as it wears. Granted with a lockbar insert it may be several years before needing to worry about it but it still seems illogical to build a knife that way. Does shiro actually make its knives like that?

I think you've been looking at real pics. That's how genuine Shirogorovs are designed. The edge of the lockbar prevents over travel too far into the blade. It would take a very long time for lock rock to develop with steel to steel contact, if ever. It isn't a concern.

Yes, the edge of the lockbar is longer than the insert... pics on two F95-- both of which have been taken apart to service up.
vv.jpg

For the T-95 there seems to be quite a few different milling. There are earlier ones which actually do not have that line cutting across the pivot screw are but those are also using older screws that are smaller (about the same size as the one at the back)

For those models with a full concentric circle milled on the handle to fit the rear screw... the clones can't quite get it right most time. Many looks like the "circle" is chopped off as it reaches the top side of the handle.

Back