Spray painting a sleeping pad with "reflective" paint?

I've seen sleeping pads with a silvery side that is said to reflect heat back to you while sleeping, do you think if I used reflective paint spray I could get the same effect? I've seen people use reflectix but I rather go with a foam sleeping pad with the dimples, for a little air flow.

Reflective paint or silver paint?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

I'm not convinced, having used both, that you gain any more than a couple percentage points in thermal value. I've also used silver paint in other places, and it rubs off on everything. I think you have a decent idea, but in practicality, its just going to be a mess.
Are you thinking of using the pad inside a hammock? That's the only place I can think of anyone using reflectix. You'd gain more by making an air pocket like a pea-pod or a hammock sock, or under-cover than you get by reflection.

I'm not convinced, having used both, that you gain any more than a couple percentage points in thermal value. I've also used silver paint in other places, and it rubs off on everything. I think you have a decent idea, but in practicality, its just going to be a mess.
Are you thinking of using the pad inside a hammock? That's the only place I can think of anyone using reflectix. You'd gain more by making an air pocket like a pea-pod or a hammock sock, or under-cover than you get by reflection.

Thanks for the insight, I really didn't think it was going to work much but wanted to run it by the knowledgeable people here. I appreciate the response!

I'm planning on camping at the summit on one of our local mountains, no trees so I'm thinking of all the ways to keep warm.

Get a space blanket instead. They have different types. The thin foil type ones are noisy and prone to tearing but work for heat. They have some that are more like tarp material and would be more idea.

If your camping at elevation, review your whole system.

Good pad: something with a min of R6; i use a ExPed Synmat 9 LW

A min of 0 degree Bag, you can always unzip a bit to vent. I use a Big Agnes Whisky Park
its bulky but really Toasty.

Consider Layering as an option, For really cold conditions, I have a custom Enlightened Equipment
Revelation Quilt. Extra Wide /Extra Long @ 0 Degree fill. The foot box snaps closed & I tuck in
the end of my bag, The Quilt comes with elastic straps/with plastic clips. the straps
go around your pad or bag so the Quilt doesnt slide off.

Have used this set up on Lassen above 6k ft., with snow on the ground in the am.
and have been completely comfortable. Only down side is when you have to
get out your warm nest at 2 am to Pee

Do some research on vapor barrier systems. They can be very effective, but also come with some drawbacks, depending on how you set things up. Too much to go into here, but a little looking around will give you a good idea on how you can more effectively use the insulation you have, and what type of insulation is best for each purpose. As far as mats and the like, that will account for around half of your heat loss potential, and also critical to comfort, but not all mats are going to be as effective in all conditions. Keep in mind that ratings are only for comfort for 4 hours, that really opened my eyes when I learned that, so there is two ways to plan it, you can plan on warming up again, or way overload your insulation, and that depends a lot on how well your body thermally regulates. But keep that in mind, and it will help you make better estimates of how suitable something will be.

Back