• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Springfield M1 Garand (Withdrawn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price includes shipping, but I'll have to mail it to your local ffl and they will probably charge you a transfer fee.

Springfield M1 Garand (Withdrawn)
Chambered in 30-06. As far as I can tell, all the parts on the gun were made by Springfield, but they're from different years, so it's either an arsenal refurbish or put together from parts. The cartouches on the stock are very faint, which tells me that it's also been sanded down and refinished at some point. I'm not sure if the sling and cleaning kit are original or reproductions. I remember doing a bit of research a while back to see if I could find out, but I didn't have any luck finding the info on that. There's a gouge on the butt plate, a few scratches and dings on the stock, as well as some finish wear on the metal parts, but it's still a beautiful looking gun. I fired a handful of rounds (10-20) through it when I first got it and it seemed to function flawlessly. I don't have a bore gauge, but I checked the muzzle by placing a round in it backwards and it wasn't close to touching the brass case, so it seems to still fit the bullets tight on that end. I can check it with calipers or take some pics if you like, just let me know.

Here's a breakdown of all the info I could find...

Receiver
SN#971733
Part # D 28291-17
That indicates that it was manufactured by Springfield in November 1942. The part number corresponds with the serial number and it doesn't appear to be a hacked up receiver that got welded back together.

Stock
It has a partial cartouche of "SA JLG" which indicates that it was manufacture by Springfield between July 1950 & September 1953. There is also a circled P on the bottom side of the stock directly behind the trigger guard, but it's barely visible. I believe there also should have been a crossed cannon cartouche (Springfield logo) next to the SA JLG, but it's not visible at all, so I assume it got sanded away.

Barrel
It's marked with "S-A-10-50", which indicates that it was manufactured by Springfield in October 1950.

Bolt
Part # D28287-19SA
Heat lot code "A-6"
Manufactured by Springfield between July 1944 & October 1945

Trigger Group Housing
Part # 6528290-SA
Manufactured by Springfield after October 1945

Hammer
Part # SA D5546008
Manufactured by Springfield

Operating Rod
Part # 6535382 SA