Spyderco Sprint Runs...Collect or use?

What do you do with your Spyderco Sprint knives.

• I carry and use it.

• Its stays unused in my collection

Results are only viewable after voting.
I never get a chance to buy a sprint run, and at this point I don't know that I'd want to. HOWEVER, if I did get hold of one, I'd use it. Safequeens aren't for me.

I don't have any sprint runs. I do have a couple Buck SFO's, a Buck 110LT limited edition, and a couple GEC's. None can be easily replaced, and all cost considerably more than I normally spend for a knife.

I've used and carried them all. My view is "If I can't use it, why have it?"
Also, they were made to be used. If they are not used, then it is an insult to those who made them.

Your "vision" may be different. Do what feels right to you, not what someone online you've never met and probably never will meet thinks you should do.

You say you don't want to use it. That's fine. Decision made. What's your next question? :)

I have plenty of knives to use. If I buy a certain sprint it’s to fondle and admire. I love knives, part of that love, from me, is enjoying them aesthetically and tactiley. They don’t all need to be used.

With very few exceptions, I try not to buy knives that I won't use. Spydies just don't feel like a collector knife to me, even if it is a limited run. They're users. And I'll only get a sprint model because something specific about it appeals to me over the standard model. I've actually been waiting for the green Para 3 sprint run pretty much since the new year started.

I don't have any internal conflict with buying a knife for any purpose, whether it's using them or just fidgeting with them while watching shows. I have more knives than I need. The vast majority of them get carried and used though.

The main reason I won't use a knife is because I'm not sure if I want to keep it.

I typically don't keep a knife unless it's going to be used, and that includes sprint runs (although sometimes it's hard for me to carry a sprint for the first time). If I REALLY love a sprint/limited run, I will occasionally buy two just in case I lose one, but it's always with the intention of putting the second one to use eventually.

I have a sprint that I use a lot. Delica Vtoku-2 that is courtesy of a generous GAW from Fixall Fixall .
Great knife. Best put together Delica I’be ever held.

I have a dealer exclusive Manix 2 LW in my favorite steel (XHP) that’s still pretty much NIB. That’s only because I have plenty of other knives to carry. When the day comes, she’ll get put to use.

The rampant Sprint Run mania/sell-out-in-minutes BS has been a real turn off for me. *cough*Spyderco*cough*

It's absolutely awesome to see that knife being put to good use! :D

Over the years I have accumulated quite a few knives...but I can honestly say I have never even once bought a knife with the intent to not use it.
Heck, I usually throw away the box and papers that come with the knife.

I have no problem using Sprint runs. I have sold a few light users at or slightly around the original price. Usage doesnt seem to detract if its a Sprint in demand in many cases with a quality steel. The OPs Para 2 is in my collection, I’ve carried once and will carry again. Great knife.

I like the Delicas, so I've collected virtually all of the Sprint runs (well, except for a few which were really nothing more than another HAP40 blade with a different handle). I only really carry the ZDP-189 sprint, the rest I bought because, well, I wanted to. None of them will ever see any use, most likely and that's ok.

You use the knife, so that when you croak and your woman's next husband inherits it, the knife is covered in squirrel blood, drywall dust and biscuit gravy. This way, he will never forget that the best years of the knife - and your woman - belonged to you.

I try to get 2 also, use one and put one away if its a spyderco. They arent that expensive to me as compared to others.

Back